1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Terradons sunleech or starstrike?????

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Juxtion, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Juxtion
    Saurus

Juxtion Active Member

Looking for input for how to equip my unit.
    Leaning towards starstrike but wanting sunleech for cool factor any help will be noted

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I have magnetized the riders' wrists to have both options, but I normally use the bolas.
    The 5" range hurts a bit, but it allows to at least partially strike targets that would not be in melee range.
    And with a a little bit of dice luck you can have lots of wound rolls to cause some wounds.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Starstrike. But only because I like the name better... I don't play AoS so I have no clue!

Ecozh, Boboassa, Aginor and 1 other person like this.
  4. Archkyrie11
    Cold One

Archkyrie11 Active Member

Starstrike Jav gives you 2 attacks 4+/3+ with a 10" range
    on average you will hit 3/6 hits and probably 2/3 wounds
    Sunleech Bola gives you 1 attack 4+/4+ with a 5" range however hits cause d6 wounds.
    on average you will hit 1.5/3 attacks and land about 3.5 wounds. Which about 2 will actually wound

Mind you this is very rough math-hammer right now so I could have calc'd wrong in my head, but they come out to dealing about the same damage so its a matter of do you want to stay farther away or hope to get the extra wound output. IMO either way you are in charge range so I'd go with the Bola's especially if you are using shadowstrike batallion and are re-rolling ones.

*edit* also didn't take into consideration the alpha which hits on 3+ instead of 4+

Juxtion and Aginor like this.
  5. Juxtion
    Saurus

Juxtion Active Member

20170804_171840.jpg What I'm seeing is rule of cool!!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    LizardWizard, Ecozh, ILKAIN and 2 others like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

'The bolas have slightly higher throughput
    javalins force about 2/3th saves per model
    Bolas force about 0.875 saves per model on average
    For the alpha javalins force 8/9th saves and the bolas force 1.16 saves

Bolas also have higher potential as well, but they are also more likely to fizzle and do (close to) nothing.

Javalins have better range.

The bolas are nice if you're planning on having your terradon pretty much Always in melee combat anyways. The javalins are nice if you're using it more as a skirmishing force to chase of kite something.

Also, bolas are probably going to require a larger unit to feel particularly meaningfull thanks to how unreliable they are whereas javalins are going to be of use even at minimum unit size.

Juxtion, Aginor and Seraphage like this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Also, javelins are nice if you want to attack over a screening line with their extra range. Forgot about that.

Aginor likes this.
  8. Archkyrie11
    Cold One

Valid, didn't think of that either

Aginor likes this.
  9. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

I've always viewed terradons the way I do rippers. I imagine moving to drop rocks, then firing books from 3"away and then charging the remaining models to be cleaned up in melee.

They fight pretty darn well with the swooping dive and when part of the shadowstrike benefit well from the priest ability.

10" on a ranged weapon is not reliable to me to use as a support unit / skirmisher because 90" of models in the game can get to within 5" and make an easy charge. Relying on a double turn is putting all your eggs in the end basket and is risky.

Imo they are just too expensive to use strictly for the javelins.

Torxhol Drakescale and Ecozh like this.
  10. Archkyrie11
    Cold One

I use Rippers instead of Terradons but I still stand by my saying of Sunleech Bola's are better.

But hey I run an Engine without a Slann, I like to live on the edge :cool:

11. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The main advantage javelins have is that it increases their threat range. Even if they get intercepted they still threaten a 10" bubble, which means squishy targets like wizards, are forced further back. Which is quite usefull at times.

This greater range also generally helps with skirmishing/harrasement/support due to the larger range. Which helps when you want to use your terradons to contest an objective or get to some priority target but want to attack on the way.Similarly if they get intercepted they might still be able to hit the actual target for some supportive fire.

However, if all you care about is essentially them annihiliating their melee targets bolas are probably better as they provide the highest potential damage.

Juxtion and Seraphage like this.
  12. Juxtion
    Saurus

Juxtion Active Member

Guess I better magnetize my unit as you brought up a good case. Also any word on ideal unit size.

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I'd say making them bigger than 6 probably makes the unit too unwieldy. Javelins don't really have much of a preference between 3 & 6. Bolas I would be biased towards six to get more dicerolls in for a smoother average, especially in a shadowstrike host since it reduces the chances of having all your bolas miss on that crucial first dive.

Seraphage, m0gstar and Juxtion like this.
  14. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

I agree with the above on all points

LizardWizard and Juxtion like this.
  15. Juxtion
    Saurus

Juxtion Active Member

Yo yo yo.
    I have been playing these terradons with bolas got about ten games in with them....
    They are too good!!!
    My bolas are hitting a lot and causing about 5 wounds per shooting phase. And the bolder drop about 2 mortal wound. Beaks have been great too. Really feel they are better than rippers as they can target up to 3 units with all of their attacks.

m0gstar likes this.
  16. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

It's true. They have a ton of flexibility. And if you play skirmish game type they are broken as all hell for that exact reason

Torxhol Drakescale and Juxtion like this.
  17. jevan
    Skink

jevan New Member

Hey do you have a link where I can buy the magnets you use to magnetize their arms to make them interchangeable? I would love to get more info on that! Thanks ahead of time!

18. Paul Beenis
    Cold One

Paul Beenis Active Member

Try searching "warhammer magnet" on eBay bro

jevan likes this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

20. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

This might be an old post. But couldnt find any newer ones. I was wondering what the general opinion would be about the weapon loadout, now with the new summoning in mind.

Im planning to summone mine. So with the 9” range I would go for Javelins, so you can shoot. Although, the reason I would summon them is too fly-over, drop builders and charge a unit. The ranges is just chip damage. And to shoot, you put them in charge range of the enemy.

Thinking of it, with the above in mind, I think making the leader a Master of the Skies. To give it some extra combat profile. Which can benedit from the swoop down ability. Doing an average extra wound. That, combined with the bolas and boulders would do an avarage of 16,4 wound rols. Or 8,2 wounds versus a 4+ save. Could be nice to kill a hero, or 4/5 of a liberator squad who than couldnt punch back.

Which loadouts do you use and why?