1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Tetto'Eko vs Grimgor and his mighty Immortulz

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Pinktaco, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

A quick intro before I begin:

I have 3 friend who I play with. One of them who I regularly play with and have actually played most of my games against. He currently have an Empire, Dwarf and O&G army. He have also had a Wood Elf army. So while this was his third game with O&G he has played roughly the same amount of games as me.

We play at my friends place because he have his own board, just got a green playing mat. We have several items to place such as a marsh, lake, woods, hills and a mountain. We have to assemble his newly bought tower.

We always play what I assume is called Pitched Battles (just regular warhammer with no scenario rules). I do, however, assume we'll try out scenarios sometime in the near future. At least now we have a tower :p

We sort of have our own way of counting victory points.. I think. We don't really follow the book with the banners etc, but we've talked about it. We do, however, say that if a unit have lost half its models it's only worth half the points, same with monsters just with its wounds.. So it's rather easy to count points.

Oh also this is my first battle against him we we've played with special characters, so this is new to us too. I've used Tetto against another friend who plays WoC.

The board, armies and deployment

My army:

Oldblood, CO, halbard, steg helmet, dawnstone, crown of command.
    Oldblood, CO, halbard, glittering scales, talismand 4+ ward save, egg.

Tetto’Eko
    Priest 65pts, scroll, lore of beast.

30 saurus standard bearer, musician, sword.
    11 skink cohort, musician.
    3 x 10 skink skirmish, javelin.

35 Templeguards, standard bearer.
    8 COR, spears.
    Bastiladon, solar engine.
    10 cameleon skinks .

His army:

Grimgor.
    Level 4 Goblin Shaman.

Goblin BSB.

95 Night Goblins + 3 fanatics and netters.
    2 x 20-24 night goblins, with bows (one of which was a mage + BSB bunker).
    10 goblin wolf riders.

40 Black Orks in a Horde, Grimgor placed here.
    2 Orc Boar Chariots.
    6 Regular Trolls.
    2 x Spear chukka.

1 Doom Diver.
    1 Giant.

So.. Placing the items. We do it in our own way. We place 6 items and roll off to choose who to start. My friend placed a hill followed by me blocking it with a mountain. From here on it just sort of went full retard and we placed all the bad stuff in one side of the board. Also - the river decided to just be a normal river. :)

We then rolled about choosing side and I got the side with the river, mountain hill and what not :rolleyes:

2tod.jpg

My idea with the COR + OB was that I knew he was coming for my templeguards so I figured I could vanguard and move up from the far side and hit him in the flank/rear. Well.. Yeah.. something like that. I forgot my musician at home so that was a brilliant idea...

3mbz.jpg

We then proceeded to roll off about starting. I got the opportunity to start

The Battle

My turn

Movement:
    The cameleon skinks moved in position of his doom diver. I wasn't too familiar with his fanatics and my friend still need to learn how to properly use them. At least none of them game at me even though I got somewhat close to his night goblins. Oh well..

My COR bus moved up towards the chariot.

All my regular skinks moved up and away from the river. The one to most to the right in position to shoot at the wolf riders.

Tetto stood still and same with all my saurus + bastiladon.

Magic:
    I had to reroll all my 1's.
    I rolled a 1+2 for winds of magic so I casted a regular comet. My friend failed to dispel it and it hit his giant, trolls, black orks and chariot. The trolls only lost 1/4 wounds. Damn regen. The giant got hit by one, the chariot lost several wounds, and the orks lost a few.

Shooting:
    I killed the doom diver in one go.
    I killed 2 wolf riders.

His turn

Movement:
    He charged my skinks with is wolfs. I stood firm and shot. Killed a 1-2.
    He moved his entire left flank forwards to my guards and his two middle goblin units forward just so they were in fanatic range of my skirmishers.

All 3 javelins failed to hit any of my two middel skirmisher units.

His most right goblin unit moved a bit up, into shooting range of my COR.
    He apparently forgot to move his chariot. I cannot remember it doing anything.

Magic:
    I rolled decently, but didn't get much off. He used a magic missile (3D6 S3) on my most left skimirhser unit. They lost 4, but didn't fail their panic test.
    Nothing more as far as I remember.

Shooting:
    Both Chukkas failed at hitting my Bast.
    He managed to get ONE wound onto a COR. I failed my armour save. Obviously.

Combat:
    We exhanged blows (wolfs vs skinks), but he pretty much flopped his attacks. I think I killed one, he killed two. So I lost combat by two, but where in range of my general, however, I still failed. I fled, but didn't get caught <.<

My Turn 2

Movement:
    The fleeing skinks rallied.
    I charged his chariot with my COR.
    Tetto and the saurus Didn't do much again.
    My cameleon skinks moved behind where his big night goblins once stood and moved towards his chukka. I think they got within range.
    My most left skirmisher walked up to his small goblin unit (where his mage where placed). I wanted to check whether or not there were any fanatics. My unit was down to 6 anyway. No fanatics.

The other unit danced around the right side of the big goblin unit, ready to shoot.

Magic:
    I had reroll my rolls of 1.
    I rolled decently in winds of magic.
    I popped another comet, so it could hit the same units. My friend didn't manage to dispell it. The comet (S5) killed off his chariot, did 4 more wounds to his Giant (down to 1 wound) and killed off a few Black Orks. The Trolls just looked around baffled.

I got off chain lightning on his wolf riders. Killed several of them. So I believe they were down 3 now.

Shooting:
    I shot at his big night goblin unit and his smaller night goblin unit. Nothing major happened.

Combat:
    His chariot got DESTROYED. I decided to overrun and moved up 7" or so forward. They were already in a bad position so I figured that I might be able to get all the way around his big unit of night goblin so I needed as much movement as I could get.

His turn 2

Movement:
    He fails amnosity with his smaller mage bunker and his big night goblin unit. My most left (and wounded) skirmish unit got charged by both lol.
    He charges my skinks with his remaining wolfs. 2 dies to poison stand and shoot.
    He moves up with his entire left flank.
    The most right night goblin unit ran after my COR bus so they were within shooting range.

Magic:
    None AFAIK. I'm not sure if he was allowed to cast due to failed amnosity. I don't remember anything going off.

Shooting:
    He kills off yet another COR. I'm a master of rolling 1s, apparently.
    One of his Chukkas fails at hitting my Bast, the other one does not and takes off 3/4 wounds.

Combat:
    He wins. Skinks got annihalated. However, he makes a mistake here. He decideds to overrun with his mage bunker first, resulting in blocking his big goblin unit. I don't believe they could do anything. At least they didn't.
    The last wolf dies in combat.

My turn 3

Movement:
    I turn my regular saurus towards his trolls, the same with the bast, guards stands still. Tetto moves towards the saurus units.
    My COR is moving along up in my friends deployment zone.
    The cameleon skinks move in close range of his first chukka.
    The middel skink unit continue to dance around the big goblin unit.

Magic:
    I had to reroll 1's.
    I roll decently in winds of magic (2 x 5 I believe). I spent 2 dice on my bastiladon. I got off the beam on his trolls. Rolls a 6 when I had to decide the strenght of the beam. Was happy. 2D6 S6. I got off one wound. Damn trolls were close now.
    I decided to cast the Wind Blow spell or whatever it's called, to push his black orks back. I used 3 dice and due to rerolling I got it off with IF. Great.. So uhm.. I pushed the Orks back 3".
    I rolled a 9 on the miscast table. Lost a wound and 3 dice.
    My friend hadn't used any of his dispel dice so far so he dispels my wyssans wildform on my saurus easily.

Shooting:
    I kill his chukka and the regular skinks kills some more night goblins in the large unit.

Combat:
    At this point I was annoyed at myself for fooling around with my COR + OBs. They weren't nowhere near to his BOs and time was starting to run out for me.

No Close combat.

His turn 3
    Movement:
    He charges my saurus with his trolls (who've only lost 2 wounds despite 2 comets and a beefed up beam, I was getting slightly annoyed lol).
    He charges my bast due to bad placement of the BOs.

The mage bunker moves forward and the big goblin unit wheel forward. Down to my guards.
    His COR killing goblins continue to follow me my CORs.

Magic:
    I cannot remember what he rolled, but he cast a curse on my guards with IF (I had to reroll 6s). He rolls a total of 4 on the mistcast table, take most of his bunker with him, except the BSB and two goblins. He proceeds to lose his mage also. So.. yeah, good magic phase. No more mages for him.

Shooting:
    I cannot remember what his final chukka is doing.
    His goblins didn't kill any COR this time.

Combat:
    My bast dies, horribly, to Grimgors axe. He overruns straight into my guards.
    His trolls, on the other hand, completely flopped all their attacks. He got a total of 5 wounds off with 18 attakcs + 3 stomps. I did 3 wounds if I'm not mistakening, killing one and doing two wounds on another. He lost combat, but was passed the break test due to nearby Grimgor.

My turn 4

Movement:
    My COR continue to troll around in the back, but they're slowly getting closer, next round I can probably hit his big unit of goblins.
    My Cameleons move to the next chukka. The middle skink unit continue to dance with the goblins.

Magic:
    I had to reroll 6s.
    I didn't roll that well, but no mage to counter me. I got harmonic convergence off on my guards and the big comet off.
    It hit both his remaning "mage" bunker and night big night goblins.
    We didn't quite agree with how the comet would work on his "mage" bunker. Only his BSB and 2 regular goblins where left. So I agreed that it just hit his night goblins after a bit of discussing this back and forth. I also killed off some more from the big unit.
    Nothing biggie, but the BSB was now alone.

Shooting:
    My skinks got off a few more goblins in the large unit.

Combat:
    He decided to use great weapons on his BOs. Grimgor hit first (ASF). I then chopped through 10 BOs. Decent roll.
    He retaliated and killed off 22 guards. :(
    I failed to roll snake eyes and got overrun in the flee/persuit and killed.
    We made a mistake here and let him reform. He shouldn't have been allowed that AFAIK. It's either to persuit or reform, right? Or can you reform if you successfully get off the persuit?
    Anyway he turned his BOs towards my saurus warrior's back. Oooooh boy.

The trolls are apparently dumb. Same thing happened against, this time I killed off the entire back row. So 3 trolls left. However, due to the persuit and reform his general was too far away. So the trolls fled, but didn't get caught.

His turn 4

Movement:
    His trolls ran off the map.
    He charges the lone skinke priest who was blocking his way to the saurus. I didn't flee.
    He charges my saurus in the flank with his big night goblin unit.
    He moves his last small night goblin unit towards my cameleon skinks.

Magic:
    None.

Shooting:
    He shoots at my cameleon skinks, killed one. Nothing big.

Combat:
    My priest got murdered by the axe of Grimgor. He overruns and ... fail to get into the back of my saurus unit by 1" :jawdrop:
    I couldn't be more lucky.
    His goblins fails their netter attacks and loses a strenght (S2 lol). They kill a saurus or two and I hit back with 6 saurus If I'm not mistakening. Ultimately I lose combat, but passes my break test. I failed to reform.

My turn 5

Movement:
    I decided to charge his big unit of night goblins in the flank with my COR bus.
    My cameleon and middle skink unit turns face to shoot at his last goblin unit.

Magic:
    I had to reroll 1s.
    I rolled rather low in WoM. Got off a thunderbolt on his BSB. Deader than dead dead. Nothing more happened.

Shooting:
    I shot at his goblins. Yay.

Combat:
    Beast-mode was activated on my COR. FINALLY :rage: :rage: :rage:
    Impact hit + Egg + 10 attacks from OBs as S6 + 10 S4 attacks from COs and 9 S5 attacks from the CORs. That's 29 attacks + impact hit + el egg.
    :chicken:
    I removed most of his damn night goblins.
    We were, hwoever, not certain how to resolve the following: My saurus was still hit in the flank of the goblins, but where the most. We decided that even though the saurus are more then the CORs the goblins fled from the COR. I followed and killed them. My saurus reformed to face the BOs.

It was unfortunate that my CORs didn't get to kill anything else than a bunch of goblins and a chariot, but that's how it is when you're dumb like me lol.

his turn 5

Movement:
    He charges my saurus with his BOs. I didn't care at this point so I fled. I was actually a bit unlucky because he didn't catch me, but I ran off the board :/ that wasn't my intention. Oh well... lol.
    He also couldn't redirect his charge to my COR due to placement.
    He charges my cameleon skinks with his last remaining goblins. He failed.

The End

I'm ending it here because my COR couldn't charge his BOs and my skinks ran away from his goblins. I don't remember Tetto doing much more either..

The game was actually fairly quick, but it was fun. Using our way of calculating victory points I won with 1230pts vs his 900-1000pts (roughly).

In the end I had:

COR unit with 2 OBs (700pts+)
    2 skink skirmisher units left (140pts)
    my cameleon skinks (130pts)
    Cohort unit (65pts)
    Tetto'Eko (185pts)

He had:

Black Orks + Grimgor left.
    A single unit of Night Goblins.

So even though my COR bus didn't do that much it was still a big point denial to him. His BO unit is a 900pts KILL EVERYTHING unit, but they never got in combat with my most heavy unit. Instead they killed off a wounded bastiladon and guards worth half the points of the BOs.. Oh yeah and the priest (he was placed behind my saurus units the entire game.

I know now NOT to forget a musician for my CORs. The spears really aren't worth it. I used them because I wanted to hit as hard as possible, but since only 9 attacks are S5 it's just.. ugh.. that's not worth the 32pts it costed. I could've gotten full command for that.

I didn't have any BSB, but I didn't really need it here anyway.

Also, when the wolfs came near Tetto'Eko I was sort of :jawdrop: but luckly that ended well.

About Tetto:

I REALLY like him. I don't think he's overpowered by any means, he's good though.
    Maybe I've just been lucky (second time I use him), but I get off so many spells with him. This game I got off a total of 3 comets, thunderbolt and chain lightning along with harmonic convergence. There are times I've had a 450pts Slann who got off way worse and less spells than Tetto, and Tetto is only 185pts.
    The vanguard worked well for me in this game. The rerolls can be a bit hit and miss, but I don't use a lot of dice most of the time, so most of the time I feel fairly safe and condident.

His biggest drawbacks is that he's quite squishy (same stats as a regular skink priest), his 5+ ward save is alright, but won't save him. His leadership of 6 means that he certianly cannot be a leader and can die to spirit leech. He is also only a level 2 priest and the reroll doesn't work in the opponents magic phase, so I find him to be much more offensive. It means that even with a dispel scroll you'll have to consider that without the slann around you'll have to either be luckly or let some spells through. It can be a gamle alright, but it can also be worth it.

This was also the first time for me to have 800+ pts in characters. That's a bit much IMO. I'm considering going super low next time (like BSB scar vet on foot + scroll caddy + Tetto = 434pts/almost half of what I had in this game).

I like to try out the various units in our army. I also don't want to be dependant on any specific unit, which is why I didn't bring along any ancient stegadons or ripperdactyls. This is good because 1) my friend won't have that easy a time knowing what is coming and 2) I force myself to learn how to use the different models.

I'm obviously still biased - I don't like razordons or the trog - but otherwise I like that I get around to playing most of our models, which is sweet. I certainly don't like to lock myself to the same build everytime, that would be boring for me and my friend.

I hope you liked the battle report. Obviously I've forgotten some stuff, but overall I think it's fairly detailed. :)

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I forgot to mention that the giant died to a javelin shot from my bast lol.

3. angrybear
    Jungle Swarm

angrybear New Member

Bloody battle, I love fighting orc & goblins they are great opponents. Thanks for sharing.