1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. The Anvil of Doom

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Dreq-Kai, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Dreq-Kai
    Skink

Dreq-Kai New Member

Well, my Dwarf opponent just ordered an Anvil of Doom. I'm not entirely sure what it does, and how to deal with it. Could you please enlighten me? He's been talking it up, and its making me a little nervous.

2. Dreq-Kai
    Skink

Dreq-Kai New Member

Er... this probably should have been in tactics. Sorry.

3. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

The anvil of doom isn't that devastating though it can be useful. It basically has one spell per turn that can't be dispelled for it works in the shooting phase, not magic. Take it out like any other war machine.

4. Dreq-Kai
    Skink

Dreq-Kai New Member

I see. Thats a relief. What kind of spells does it have though?

5. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

I can't tell you exactly but it has one that damages units, one that makes dwarves immune to fear and terrorm oand one that make dwarves move.

6. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

I might have to disagree with Craken on the true potential damage a Anvil can cause.

First and foremost, the anvils two guards, the 1+ armor save the rune lord will inevitably have, along with the shooting protection it provides (ward save and all hits against the anvil are nullified) means that this is one tough cooky to crack (its unbreakable too btws). A JSoD or FSoD will normally not be enough to take down the unit, so a combined approach must be used.

Secondly, the additional dispel dice a anvil brings means that you really wont be seeing many of your spells getting through (also as he took a runelord).

But the biggest thing is that there are no LOS or range restrictions on the anvil. Keep in mind, also, that any unit hit by the damage spell cannot fly (or march?) the next turn. This is especially effective as you will see anvils most often in shooty lists, so your terries wont be hitting those thunderers/bolt throwers if he gets the spell off.

The good thing is that, generally speaking, the anvil is relatively unreliable. You wont have to worry about it every turn, and your opponent (if he is smart) will play a pretty standard strategy as he cannot always rely upon it.

This goes out the window though if he takes the Anvil special character (Thortek?). He can re-roll misfires (and has meaner, nastier spells). If he takes him, just start accusing him of being cheesy. He is so cheesy in fact that his rules were toned down for the GT.

7. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Ya I agree with SohChaToa on his points and yes the Special Character is very cheesy. Ya terradons probably wouldn't be a good choice but I think the JSoD would still do the trick.

8. Dreq-Kai
    Skink

Dreq-Kai New Member

Thanks for the advice. What kind of unit would you suggest in taking it down? It will probably also contain his general, so thats pretty much a prime target, right?

9. Apollo3
    Skink

Apollo3 New Member

yeah it is a prime target worth plenty of VPs, but it is going to be hard to reach with anything capable of killing it. it will most likely be hidden behind his lines of tough dwarves and if you spend too much time and energy trying to deal with it you won't have enough left over to worry about the rest of the army, the part that will actually be causing the most damage.

10. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

I played against a dwarf fielding the anvil of doom in a 2500 game once. It was a tough nut to shatter, as he had the thing socked all the way in the back surrounded by ironbreakers and other war machines. The rune you have to watch out for is the one that, when damaging a unit, causes that unit to move half speed (or not at all? I forget) for that turn. Makes it VERY hard to approach. Flyers are almost useless, and fighting the crew is like attacking an iron wall. It didn't do very much actual damage, though, but the special character improves it's odds dramatically. You will definitely have to hit it from at least two sides to take it out.
    While not doing much damage, slowing your movement can be devastating if a lot of war machines are fielded with it - keeps you a viable shooting target longer.
    Againts this unit I would suggest making use of several smaller, faster units. Kroxigors and a JSOD hitting it at the same time might do the trick.

I was still able to get spells off with a 2nd generation slann, although my opponent at the time didn't go too nuts with runelords. There was some question between us as to whether Pit of Shades would have meaningful effect upon the anvil, so I let it go in his favor until clarification can be obtained.

Does anyone know the answer to that, btw? It seems to me that, having no initiative, a war machine would just fall right in, no questions asked. :)

11. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

I don't think you can hit the anvil itself but you could whioe out the crew pretty effectivly

12. Dreq-Kai
    Skink

Dreq-Kai New Member

I see a lot of hype about the Pit of Shades. Whats so good about it? Isn't it just like some template attack?

13. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

The pit of shades ruins dwarfs due to their low I, which is good. :)

It also ruins the Slann because of his low I, which is bad :(

14. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

Yes, its a template spell... but one that auto destroys whatever it hits, no save. All you get is an initiative test. Basically a one shot against anything with poor init, including the slann.

Fortunately, not a whole lot of armies out there that take Lore of Shadow on a regular basis.

My earlier comment was due to the core book stating that anything having to test against a stat it does not possess auto fails. The question is whether I could target the anvil, the crew and get the anvil along with them by 'accident', or if only the crew could be affected.

15. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

The anvil cannot be moved or attacked at all, no more than you could attack a hill. It is effectivly terrain, thus only the crew would be effected.