1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS The AoS 2.0 Tactics Thread

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Xasto, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

What do you mean?
    Do you mean the points generation from the slann to summon units (there's a table and you get 1 point + 3 points per spell you don't cast + d3 if you have an astrolith: Use generated points to summon one unit at the end of the movement phase with summoning costs ranging from 6pts for 10 skinks to 24 for a carnosaur/bastiladon)
    The Engine of the gods - set list to choose from - 3 rippers/terradons, 20 skinks, or 10 saurus
    or Endless Spells - A wizard can summon one endless spell per turn, but you cannot recast an endless spell that is still active.
    or with no longer having reinforcement points? - you can summon as much as you are able to over the course of the game with generated reinforcement points, 14-17 EoTG rolls, and endless spells that get cast and dispelled.

2. Dreamer74
    Cold One

Dreamer74 Active Member

I mean actually summoining the dudes.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's not a good thing, it makes certain endless spells virtually pointless, or in the best case a whole lot less "endless". A pallisade that can get dispelled before your opponent has even attempted to move or shoot is well, pointless. "But he sacrifices a spell-cast for it" you say. If your opponent has an army where his wizard's spells are important I'm sure he'l have more than 1 available cast & if he only has a wizard with him to deal with your endless spells nonsense it's not like he's sacrificing anything either.

I really don't get why they've increased the unbinding range to 30" and made dispelling endless spells this horrificly easy. Especially with how you can't realiably control endless spells.It shouldn't be too difficult to avoid the worst effects of the endless spells with good positioning, or by just sending it into your enemies lines or just into an empty space whenever you happen to get control over it.

you generate points, there's table that says how much points certain things cost to summon. Provided you have the summoning points for it you can summon whatever you want

4. Dreamer74
    Cold One

Dreamer74 Active Member

Anytime you want in the Hero phase?

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Yeah in the hero phase, not casting spells will increase your pool of points

6. Burwinkelito
    Saurus

Burwinkelito Active Member

The summoning (placing the mini on the table) takes place in the movement phase, but correct me if i'm wrong.

Ecozh likes this.
  7. Ecozh
    Cold One

Ecozh Active Member

End of the movement phase (see leaks in discussion section). So no summoning and moving sadly.

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Correct. You can neither move nor teleport summoned units in the turn they were summoned.

About the viability of the Endless Spells: some of them (like the Geminids or the Pendulum) are clearly a step up from the now pretty weak arcane bolt, having greater range and doing more damage.

And btw. I actually don't think it will be that easy for your opponent to move them somewhere harmless if you place them well.

9. Aginor
    Slann

Ok new info (well, not actually. Just old info that I misunderstood it seems):

I just have been told and now realize that if there is only one predatory spell on the board _only_ the player going second in a round can move the predatory endless spell.

That's pretty huge as it means:
    Go second if you want to get the most out of endless spell. Don't use the double turn of you get it. Your enemy can never move your spell, only dispell it.

If there is more than one spell on the board the second player moves the first one and the first player moves the next one, always alternating. A spell cannot be moved more than once in a round.

10. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

I think the dispelling thing might work out well enough on the table. Against something like the KO clown-car list for example the palisade is solid gold and a simple game-winner if they let you go first, whereas against an opponent who brought proper spellcasters it has a fairly high chance of getting dispelled on any given turn unless/until you can snipe the spellcaster. I think the points might be about right for something that is super-strong sometimes and a big meh the rest of the time. I do think that having only one endless spell might make things too easy for most opponents, if you have a couple it makes more problems for them and as they are neither expensive nor hard to summon in a Seraphon army. Threat overload applies here as much as anywhere.

11. claymore36
    Saurus

claymore36 Active Member

And doesn’t dispelling in your turn cost a spell cast? I may be wrong but if that’s the case your opponent will have to make a choice, give up a spell cast for that turn or allow you’d endless spell to remain.

12. Aginor
    Slann

Correct.
    Any wizard (but not non wizards using artefacts e abilities) within 30" of the spell can sacrifice a spell and try to dispell instead. They have to roll higher than the casting value on the warscroll.

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

If your tactic depends on the wizards you'l most likely already be bringing multiple wizards at which point sacrificing 1 spell isn't going to be that big of a deal anymore. If your tactic doesn't rely on the wizard the "sacrifice" is even less significant. Especially considering the potentially massive pay-off the sacrifice is surprisingly insignificant. The only real sacrifice I'm seeing is that virtually any army is now going to field at least 1 wizard and put in significant effort to protect him in case the opponent starts spewing forth endless spells, so "non"-wizard armies will now be fielding 1 wizard effectivly resulting in a tax of ~100 points for those.

Minor sidenote; only wizards can dispell right? How does this work for certain armies like say Khorne who won't ever have any wizards? Is khorne just doomed to now take an allied wizard with him? Has Tzeentch finally tricked him into doing something like that?

14. Aginor
    Slann

That's how I read it. But then Khorne can use a slave to darkness wizard or so.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

wellI would not be pleased with that if I played khorne.. rather goes against the theme of the army :p

16. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah.
    Same for Kharadron Overlords, they also lack wizards. I think there are a few more factions in the same position.

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

at least the Kharadron and those others can concievably ally. It's more the fluff that'd annoy me as a Khorne player than anything else.

18. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

Myrmourn banshees can dispel, and it was mentioned very early on that witch hunters would get a warscroll update so they can "hunt down" wild magic (endless spells) or some such. They'll probably be updating most or all of the warscrolls for non wizards that can unbind, so they can dispel endless spells.

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

If you put that on everything that can unbind then it seems like there'd be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many guys that could dispell endless spells. Hell, even the argument "but you sacrifice a spell/unbind"for it becomes moot at that point...

Though giving some of them that ability would work I guess.

20. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't every model that can unbind be able to dispel endless spells? Why shouldn't Khorne, Dispossessed, or Kharadron Overlords be able to get rid of them without bringing in an ally? I'd actually find it weirder for them not to be able to get rid of endless spells. Maybe it will be another "instead of". If runelords have to choose between dispelling the endless spell and giving a unit a 6+ invul save or +1 rend, there's a trade off. The same goes for Aetheric Navigators and Slaughterpriests. It's pretty much exactly the same as trading a spell to dispel.

Myrmourn banshees take mortal wounds when they successfully dispel an endless spell, which is a harsh trade for models that cost 20pts per wound despite the extra attacks they get from it, and the dispel only has a 6" range.