1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Batman: Pics, Videos, and Other Awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bowser, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Then Infinity War wouldn't have a part one/part two Cliffhanger. Because Batman would pull a Me Gambit though I cannot for the life of me figure out what it would look like. If Thanos was okay killing Gamora I don't see how Batman could have used psychological manipulation.

Defeating him really involves Dr. Strange hand and his literal omniscience power. Yawn. There are only two Marvel movies I never saw. Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange. Both characters are too powerful to be interesting.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Doctor Strange, although far from my favourite Marvel film, is worth watching. Captain Marvel on the other hand.... :vomit:

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

8. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Doctor Strange was definitely one of the weakest of the Marvel films, but funnily enough I would still argue that he has the coolest wider universe. Certainly when I saw Endgame, it was the people from his films that seemed to be the coolest when they did appear for me

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I cannot speak for - or against - Captain Marvel, but I did enjoy Doctor Strange (more than other MCU movies). He is funny, the CGI is pretty epic, and think they toned him down a bit from the comics. He is still pretty powerful but I wouldn't say he is as bad as for example Superman. Worth watching IMO.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

15. Scalenex
    Slann

So I don't subscribe to Netflix often. A couple a months a year can let me binge watch the few shows I'm interested, then I unsubscribe. I watched a lot of superhero stuff. Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones. DC Universe pulled two old Batman movies from the vault. Batman Sub Zero (Batman TAS) and Batman versus Dracula. Decent movies, not super amazing though.

I think Daredevil is a masterpiece of television serials. I think Luke Cage is very good. I think Jessica Jones is okay, but it doesn't have any rewatch value. Iron Fist is lousy. it's not even a dumpster fire. Dumpster fires are flashy. It's just boring.

I noticed something. Daredevil is very much a being intimately connected to Hell's Kitchen. Luke Cage is very connected to Harlem. Jessica Jones is somewhat connected to her neighborhood but not a lot. I at least like that there were some interesting side characters in her office. Jessica Jone's had a door to her office/apartment that was constantly being broken, repaired, broken again, and repaired again. At the very least you could sort of gage how Jessica was battling her personal and exterior demons by looking at her door.

Iron Fist did not have belong to a neighborhood. He is a drifter that doesn't really belong in New York or the monastary he was trained at. He is a true orphan.

In the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy, Gotham City was at the center of all three conflicts.

In the two Tim Burton Batman movies, Gotham City set the tone, but Gothamites didn't really have a lot of impact on things. In the Jared Schumacher Batman movies that nearly killed the franchise, Gotham was not really involved. All the sets were surreal and fantasy driven. In Batman Forever Gothamites were almost literally zombified. In Batman and Robin everyone in Gotham was frozen solid.

I noticed that good Batman movies incorporate Gotham City as a supporting character. A Batman movie that doesn't incoporate Gotham City intimately is at best, mediocre.

I am hardpressed to come up with a good superhero movie where the setting was not integral to the plot. The only non stellar superhero movie I can recall that had a well developed setting was Jonah Hex. That said, it wasn't terrible, it just shouldn't have had Megan Fox in it.

Thor 1 and Thor 3 were pretty good. Thor 2 was one of the worst Marvel movies. Thor 2: The Dark World had the least meaningful interaction with Asgard and it didn't have the earthly struggles of Thor trying to adapt to normality because he already did that in Thor 1. Thor Ragnarok sort of brought Planet Hulk to life and was a wacky thrill ride.

Suicide Squad was a disorganized mess when they jumped from meaningless location to meaningless location.

Guardians of the Galaxy didn't really have a set location but the journey was the location.

That's not to say incorporating the setting is a golden ticket to a great movie. All the Spiderman movies involve New York City intimately, even the Amazing Spiderman aborted trilogy.

I will note that Green Lantern and Captain Marvel had many flaws, but I think it was hampered by the fact that these movies tried to straddle earth-based and space-based adventures in one moving. You sort of have to pick one or the other. I notice the animated movies and shows for Green Lantern are better because they tend to stick with space and rarely visit Earth but each time Earth is involved the entire episode is contain on Earth. Most episodes are contained to one alien planet.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

19. Scalenex
    Slann

The various internet reviewers I trust have reviewed Batwoman.

-It's bad. It's not a dumpster fire. It's just a dull. The protagonist has a character arc issue she resolves within the first episode.
    -It's not near as woke as the trailer made it look like. The trailer cherry picked the wokest moments.

Not going to watch it. I can get ironic enjoyment picking apart a dumpster fire, but I don't like flat and boring superhero shows.

I'm seeing Joker reviews and audience theories everywhere. Going to have to watch it soon to avoid a spoiler.

Yet another funny meme ruined by a typo.

20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, i actually rank Doctor Strange pretty high. I really like that movie.