1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The CO Bus Baby!!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by rantapanda, May 8, 2014.

1. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Dancing with Saurus2 Member

The Bad Dice podcast from last Friday focuses on a Lizardman army build based on 2x 10 CO buses with Old Ones and Scar Vets. No Slann. It's quite an interesting listen and only about 15 minutes long.

http://baddice.co.uk/

He does take Tetto Ecko which will hopefully reduce exposure to cannons, rock lobbers etc.

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I'll take a listen to is when I get home. I'm just wondering if there is enough of a punch in each unit though

3. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

same, also doubting its cost effective as the CoR is "only" there for the LoS...

I'd rather put the bang in one bus and put a solid block of krox on the table.

Scalenex likes this.
  4. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

It was an interesting idea, but... ehhhh I'm not sold. I think if you are going for double Cold One Riders, you are better off running 6-7 with one character each, and rely on them as a flanking force to some Saurus blocks, with the characters doing all the damage and the Riders acting as a delivery system. That way, they are cheap enough and relatively unimposing enough not to draw too much attention, but won't cost you the game if one of them gets Purple Sun'd.

5. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Interesting discussion and explains why my attempt as a CoR unit of 2 SV and 5 CoR without a champion worked out so badly. One SV got challenged out, lost two CoR off the hop due to low init and got run down on CR. This was vs a unit of 10 centigors + some special character/champion

6. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

yea that seem a little too light :p why only 5? that gives you 1 look out sir and then your cowboys are warmachine ducks.

7. heuningby
    Saurus

heuningby Member

I played a Coldone list at a 2000pts tourney this weekend. 2 Oldbloods and a Scarvet BSB in a unit of 7 Coldones.

I played so badly but they saved me a couple of times. When they got the charge they annihilated everything. Very very hard unit.

Single-handedly killed 70 Gors with characters and magic buffs in 3 game turns.

Killed about 30+ Bretonnian knights with characters the one game

If I wasn't playing so badly they probably would have got me in the top 3

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  8. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

How were your olbloods equipped?

9. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

All I own is 5 old school COR models and one new model I use as my SV. Had to proxy and highelf dragon prince for the other SV.

Before I commit to buying and modelling another 7 or so COR gonna play some practice games with high elf proxies

10. heuningby
    Saurus

heuningby Member

General: CO, GW, Steg helm, 5++
    Oldblood 2: CO, PoStrength, Charmed shield, Piranha blade, Dragonbane gem
    Scarvet: BSB, BoEternalFlame, CO, GW, LA

Flaming impact hits for Trolls and Nurgle beasts. Oldblood 2 takes on challenges. At 2000points there will be only 1 or 2 badass characters so he can take them out.

11. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

Has anyone ran the bus in an ETC environment (=no Tetto allowed :( ).
    I going for an ETC tourney and wondering if the bus is good enough without tetto, and if so, what to bring instead..another SV or priest perhaps...

12. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I would think giving someone MR2 would be fantastic in that bus to give ward saves vs lore of metal etc.

13. pgarfunkle
    Saurus

pgarfunkle Member

I have run the following bus for the last few games and found it pretty effective.

Old Blood - CO, GW, Glittering Scales, Crown of Command, Dawnstone
    Scar Vet - CO, GW, BSB, Armour of Destiny
    8 Cold One Cav w/ Full Command

I still have to try the OB or SV by themselves but I find that I like having the bus and a unit of Temple Guard as my two big combat units. It does mean that with my current list I cannot field an Ancient Steg so I will need to give it a go at some point.

14. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

I've heard stories about how incredibly underwear staining a Cold One Bus can be for your opponents, but ther are a few problems I'm having with trying it out. Mainly, I don't know how many to run, and what type of list it would be most effective in. It was suggested to me to run a front flank of 1-2 Old Bloods on Cold One in the bus, and have the remainder of the front line (5 or 6 wide) be Scar Veterans so opponents have to divide up the attacks between each specific character. I can see how this would be helpful, but I have a feeling this would eat up a lot of points. Has anyone here run a Cold One Bus list who could offer me some help and suggestions please and thank you?

15. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

I dont often do CO Bus nowdays, (due to etc comping it to crap).

But if Id do, Id prob use something like Adam Daly did.
    Which is OB+CO+GW+Armour of Destiny+Other Tricksters Shard and OB+CO+GW+Piranha Blade+Dawnstone+Charmed Shield+Light armour
    Tetto eko
    Skink lvl 2 + Dispel Scroll
    Core of skinks including 2 skink cohort bunkers
    Cold Ones/FC a good amount.
    Two Terradons to Chaff up Chaff and other stuff that intervenes with the Bus
    Perhaps Sallies as well

Nowdays we are facing more and more insane hard to kill lords, and I think the OBs need a tad more defence that the previous list.
    My go to builds so far have been:
    OB+CO+GW+Armour of destiny+Dawnstone+Other tricksters shard
    and OB+CO+GW+Steg helm+Talisman of preservation
    the first OB here is tough as a m#"%&ker. Double armour save and 4+ ward is hard to bypass. This guy has Bloodthirsters, Greater Daemons, an Orc lord, a Doombull, a Hellpit etc under its belt. The second OB here isnt as tough, but T6 is nice too.
    The problem here is that you need to keep your OB's separated, 1 guy in between for example, otherwise your own OTS will bite you.

Depending on matchup, you could take several other ScarVets with you, for example various CO+GW+1up armour,5+ward save builds.
    With Scarvets you can take BSB as well. If ur are facing Regen, take the Eternal Flame banner, but remember, theres always the risk of facing anything with a 2+ flame ward. You can always pop the BSB out of the unit though, if you are not in combat. Magic weapons (which dont get the fire attacks since they are magic weapons), dont mix with saurus characters too well, the +2str GW is just so.. cheap and efficient.
    You could take a defensive BSB as well, ironcurse icon + obsidian lodestone.
    Ofcourse you need tetto+lvl skink with scroll + 2 terradons + skink core. And the idea is to chaff lots of stuff with the bus handles other things with its multiple str 7 attacks. Still beware of Hellebron and other crazily killy blocks.

16. Mithrilherz
    Jungle Swarm

Mithrilherz New Member

Is there any lizardmen video at all with the new book in this channel? I would love to see some games, but my youtube does not show anything ar all.

17. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So..... 4 years later!

Can anyone give a detailed summary of what Daly's videos showed? his channel has been discontinued by the looks of it.

I have had amazing success with a cold one bus in the past but it needs refinement and this thread seems to be discussing what I need to know!

Warden likes this.
  18. livewaaaaagh
    Saurus

livewaaaaagh Member

I have fielded a small 5-CO bus as of late with a Sacr Vet with Stegadon helm and GW. Their results as of late:

Beat:
    10-man unit of Dragon Princes + Prince

Tied (both units died or barely anyone came out alive):
    3-man unit of Mourfang Cavalry
    15-man unit of Chosen

19. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I am guessing nobody knows? I listened to the baddice podcast but it had limited info

20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I would also REALLY like to get a bit more data on the bus. Like it seems like I want to have my OB and SV along with the unit champion in the front row of the bus to make sure that a) the Champion can be an option to decline the challenge and b) the OB and SV get maximum face-time with the other unit.

I've just played a WoC army with a friend of mine who is very experienced in their use. I did okay tactics wise, but I was lacking a unit that could really make a different in combat. He did the classic every mark of Nurgle thing so everybody was a 5+ to hit. I'm going to play him again shortly and plan to use a skroxigor unit to hold up his Chaos Knights for a couple of turns while a large Saurus holds up the other inevitible large CW unit and a combined temple guard and CO bus (hopefully) annihilates the inevitable OTHER huge Nurgle CW unit with BSB, etc. etc. I plan to field two Ancient Stegs with EotG to give ward saves and spears combo and get impact hits, then a bastiladon to target big Daemon Prince or other units that are flying around. BUT REALLY WANT THAT CO BUS! :)