1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't have enough monsters? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering the Monster Mash! - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog The Dusty Drawers - King Dust’s conversions & attempts at painting

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by King Dust, Oct 25, 2018.

1. King Dust
    Skink

King Dust Member

As I’ve gotten back into the habit, I realized most of my minis are collecting dust in my parent’s attic on the other side of the continent. So I bought an SC box with the goal of converting as many interesting LM characters as I could. Here’s my first WIP:

IMG_4029.JPG IMG_4016.JPG
    Some more pics per request:
    IMG_4035.JPG IMG_4037.JPG

And here's the same guy on a cold one:

IMG_4032.JPG IMG_4019.JPG

Would love to hear feedback, tips, or other things I can improve before I paint ‘im.

I’ve also got some fluff forthcoming for this guy, once it’s ready I’ll update the post with a link for those interested.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. Tle'azqa'ecl
    Saurus

Tle'azqa'ecl Active Member

The pose on the one on foot is amazing; it gives it a sense of movement and it feels as if it is hissing its warcry to the skies above!

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

4. LizardWizard
    Terradon

LizardWizard Well-Known Member

Lovely work on the ScV on Cold One. You added a lot of movement to a rather static model!

5. Audvin
    Skink

Audvin Member

More pictures of the first model would be awesome! Really like how you've captured the movement and savageness !

6. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Looking good. The on foot version is really nice. Like a leader roaring to the sky as for to call his pack to attack the enemy and strike fear to said enemy's heart.
    Really like how the mounted version is holding his warpick in the mouth ready to grab quickly as he continues to bring death on the enemy after loosing/using his other weapon... of which I can't really say what it is... kind of a double flail? If so: not directly the weapon I'd give my cavalry forces... twohanded and so on, you know... I'd say spears or lances all the way... (or the 1851british cavalry saber according to Matt Easton... but context... ;)) if it's supposed to be some kind of fire leech bola I'd say that fits better cause it can be used onehanded... (and Matt said missle weapons work great from horseback...)
    if you want it to be on the flaily side make it some kind of morning star... the dangling chainy thing on the banner pole could work as a chain for the morning star...
    Anyways some nice conversions you made there!

7. LizardWizard
    Terradon

LizardWizard Well-Known Member

It is a Bola, pretty sure.

8. King Dust
    Skink

King Dust Member

Thanks all for the kind words!

I'll see if I can get one with better lighting this weekend. And of course I'll post updates once it's painted.

It is indeed! Or at least that was the intent. (It's supposed to be cinched around the waist of the on foot model) I might be able to tweak the part that dangles below the hand to make it seem less rigid.

LizardWizard, Crowsfoot and tom ndege like this.
  9. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Maybe use some thick wire or cable that can bend in a more rope like shape?
    The foot version was actually the reason why the bola came to my mind... you noted it's the same guy in both models so I thought the weapons might be the same...

LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Cageyblood
    Cold One

Cageyblood Active Member

Both miniatures tell great little stories, which is always my favorite thing to see. Love the emotion in the first and the creativity of the backup weapon in the second!

King Dust and LizardWizard like this.
  11. King Dust
    Skink

King Dust Member

Here's my next WIP, this guy I was trying to make look super attentive, so I stood him up straighter and put his head on more of a swivel than most LM.

IMG_4038.JPG IMG_4039.JPG

Here he is mounted and standing up in his saddle:
    IMG_4042.JPG IMG_4040.JPG

I really need to get a makeshift lightbox, at least before I post pics of these guys painted!

As always let me know your thoughts!

12. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning

Nice idea with the pose, he really looks attentive. :)

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Good job. Attentiveness for the win!!