1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The latest of GW's price gouging...

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Sep 30, 2015.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think GW's prices have risen more over the last couple of years than at any other time I can remember. The new Bloodthirster will set you back $160 here in Canada...

Capture1.JPG

It's a nice looking model, but how can anyone justify that price (unless you are super rich)? At what point is GW going to price themselves out of competition? How high can these prices go?

I know it's always been an expensive hobby, but this is absolutely unreal in my opinion.

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

That is steep!

I can get it for £64 in the UK, looking at the kit there seems to be a few extra bits for kit bashing etc.

I'm getting it, not sure when.

3. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Jack Trowell Active Member

... and they managed to one up themselves in only one week, the new tau big giant suit is almost twice the price of a Riptide, who was already overpriced when released (65€ for the riptide, 120€ for the new suit)

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Trogolodon kit comes out at $100 a couple of years ago.

Nagash comes out at $130 a year ago.

This things tops out at $160.

That's a 60% price increase in only a couple of years. Crazy!!!

5. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

For the price of one priest now I once bought one battalion of skinks when I started... Ok the old priest was also more expensive than a single skink but it was made of metal these days... Not of plastic like now...
    Crazy what effect a change of currency and some time can do to prices... :D;)

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Currency changes and inflation can not account for these levels of price increases... this is GW pure and simple. :)

I can go out and buy a top level video game that probably cost 10 million dollars to develop for $70... I can't see the justification for GW's price increases.

7. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

There was a conversations about this before in the Workshop, as I try to remember. It had something to do with the price of the moulds that were made and the materials needed, all this does add up nasty in amount.
    Still, the prices are a bit crazy but we will never know, well unless someone works in one of the HQ sections.

8. Khelandros
    Cold One

Khelandros Active Member

9. classicflava
    Cold One

classicflava Active Member

Sudaj likes this.
  10. Khelandros
    Cold One

Khelandros Active Member

Yeah, I think that seems right. Warseer comment seems to note 50 to 60 percent based on the account type/sales you have with GW products. Kinda makes me sad.

11. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

He was $220 here in Australia but GW took pity on us and dropped it to $200. Actually, for the first time I can recall since I started playing warhammer there has been a price drop on a whole heap of models for us Aussies. Only a few dollars here and there, I think its roughly a 5% decrease and doesn't seem to apply to everything but it was enough for me to bust out the old credit card and buy a few things. Now if only they'd discount the Chaos Dreadhold by 50% then I MIGHT be able to convince my wife to let me buy a section of wall...

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

If that is what they call pity... no thanks! ;)

I think you have to work for GW to swing that sort of discount!

El Caimán likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It just keeps getting "better"...

Capture3.JPG

14. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Unfortunately GW see themself as a hobby business and dont care about their games. That's just the sad truth. That's also why I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more of these ridiculously expensive kits. In their eyes it probably fair since they don't expect you to use it in a game and thus have an entire army to also pay for. In their opinion it's a matter of setting sexy new models for you to paint. In that regard it's more feasable to - every once in a while - buy just one expensive model.

tom ndege and Crowsfoot like this.
  15. Khelandros
    Cold One

Khelandros Active Member

I have been buying from my local GW now and then because they used to provide a venue for playing Warhammer Fantasy, but now that I can't a) find people to play 8th edition, b) purchase the 8th edition books anymore, and c) find many players for AoS, it feels difficult to justify getting anything but paints.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

We'll see how well that will turn out for them. It really seems like they are abandoning their roots and they may rue the abandonment of what made them successful in the first place.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

18. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

For fun I whipped together a Militarum Tempestus army list for 40k. My 850pt list would cost $435 to buy and consisted of 30 infantry models and 3 small vehicles. I also impulse bought 2 character models that almost cost me $100. Thank god our baby doesn't drink formula anymore!

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

YIKES! Pricey!

20. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

Yes, baby formula is expensive. There is just an assumption that because people love babies we won't price shop their nourishment.

A friend of mine used to work at a grocery store and said the baby formula was the only part of the store they needed security cameras for.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.