1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The latest of GW's price gouging...

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Sep 30, 2015.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think it is crazy... especially considering the very steep rate at which the costs are increasing. How long before we see a $300 model? A year?

2. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Lord Grok Of Xillaqua Well-Known Member

Well, we already had the $500 Smaug model when the Hobbit films came out around 2013. It was gorgeous but way to far out of my price range for any game system.

borkbork likes this.
  3. blackrainbow
    Saurus

blackrainbow Member

I got a new brush and a paint at the local GW, that's about it. Most of my armies are collected (if not hiding in the garage) so I'm lucky that way I guess. There is a reason that China (and more recently Canada and some small pop-ups here in the US) only recast GW products and not other games. And I wouldn't pay those Red prices either, much as I love my commie brothers and sisters.

Now greenstuff, yeah I buy that in bulk. It's like discovering a whole new part of the hobby.

4. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

yeah I actually totally feel you on how expensive this hobby is. See I just got into it in October and and I have spent a lot of money heading my units and all the equipment I need to do this hobby. Now it is incredibly fun just painting these models and making my own little story in my head for each one. And I can kind of justify the cost with my wife and she's just happy I'm working with my hands again. As I can't do wood carving nor make props inside our apartment as is too small and would make too much noise. But as I put it together I have spent all words of $400 getting the models and paint and stuff and I think I've been gifted about $300 worth of models. That is all in the span of two and a half months. And as I look at trying to expand my army and collection because now that I was given the starter set I want to collect the army that go with it. So I am looking at spending a hell of a lot more on this hobby and I'm not even planning on playing for another year maybe as there's nobody in my area that plays it. Even though my wife is happy to play with me once I'm done painting all the models. But as now I cannot justify buying any of these big ones even though they look really awesome because they just the price is ridiculous for just one model. Sorry for the wall I just saw this this post and I have to put in my thoughts:)

Freddy25 likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I wait for stuff to hit ebay, you can save upto 40% on new models if your prepared to wait.

I started back last Feb and I reckon I have spent the best part of £1200 on models and paints but I'm at the stage were I just buying small stuff, flock, glue, paint etc.

6. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I will have Tied that more the only thing that sucks with eBay is...OK yesterday I saw a deal for the Dino body 44 usd and I thought cool I'll buy this l, save my self a good buck..but the shipping was 30 I might as well buy a hole new model for that price..

7. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Lord Grok Of Xillaqua Well-Known Member

eBay has always tried to get people on the shipping costs, and then there's import charges if you don't live in the country it comes from (sometimes) and then there's shipping option that can get you item to you faster (by like 1-2 days, big deal), so for me, my average extra charges comes up to 20+ in Canadian dollars usually. So I totally agree with your statement about getting a new model for the price (or at least some paints).

8. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

That is why you use a freight forwarder :)

Started using "shipito.com" after the international rates on USPS skyrocketed a few years back. Been really pleased with it so far, since I get cheaper domestic shipping on the auction, and they repack the packages into a larger one when I decide to ship them. Still cost money to ship them from them to me, but by repacking auctions I have won over a few months into one package it becomes much cheaper than if I had not used them.

Crowsfoot likes this.