1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The looming excitement that might be TW warhammer II

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by The Sauric Ace, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

You're not supposed to, but when you're in the early game and have 2 maybe 3 cities you're not going to be able to field much more than 6-7 "special" units. And splitting that up over multiple armies doesn't really work. So you tend to either get 1 decent army and a couple of armies that are just basic skeletons, or you get a couple of armies that are 90% basic skeletons and have 1-2 random "special" units.

Imho it's a more general issue with TW warhammer though. The idea that certain units are "elite" late-game units leads to some weird inbalances throughout the game as you end up in a situation where units that are basicly core-units in the tabletop are inaccesible till the late-game for no clear reason (e.g.Lizardmen's big dino's, Empires melee cavalry & artillery, Vampire's big monsters, most hero units in general, they all require Tier III buildings despite being core to the strategy of their respective factions). In general unit progression in TW warhammer is weird, Tomb king's unit progression is just even weirder.

Trade (and diplomacy in general) is nearly Always a disaster in TW games. Unless I have an ungodly lead over the enemy they refuse to cooperate (and once you have that lead suddenly everyone wants to ally… my last playthrough on the empire I ended up allying about 90% of the world with me holding half of that on my own…)
    Imho, the whole battle-loot income mechanic is poorly executed. It gives way too much money and to balance that out they lowered passive income way too much. I get that it's "total war" and they want to discourage turtling. But they've managed to create a situation where if your economy is weak you're kinda screwed. You won't have the income to upgrade your stuff, but without upgrading your stuff you won't be able to actually fight the enemy as the AI fields double your armies and filled with elite nonsense.

Yeah, if at any point you do get an economy going with them you do have it easier than others. It's just that getting there is a pain. Building stuff that costs 10.000 when you get 200-300 per turn is rather tedious

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Warden and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Question to y'all who have played with the newish Lizardmen DLC:

EotG vs. Ancient Steggy: which one should my Skink priests use? How does the EotG play?

Also: what are ancient Salamanders used for? I use the regular ones with good effect against hordes, are the big ones worth it?

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

EoTG, it has a giant laserbeam of doom it's hilariously destructive.

I found using 2 hunting packs + 2 big ones tended to make a nice combo. The small ones provide saturation fire to ensure stuff actually gets hit (and more importantly knocked down) the big one provides the big hits. Also, the big one can actually hold it's on in melee. The hunting packs get slaughtered if anything actually reaches em. But yeah, overal the ancient salamander is underwhelming. With it's slow rate of fire and only 1 projectile at a time it simply doesn't get enough hits in before the enemy reaches it. Not to mention that 1 lucky dodge means you lose like half your potential shots... The hunting packs at least have volume of fire to avoid that issue.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks!
    Does the giant Salamander shoot in an arc, so I can place it behind my Saurus Warriors? Or does it fire straight and flat like Skinks?

EDIT:
    Same question for the EotG, can it fire over a line of Saurus?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. Lium
    Saurus

Lium Active Member

All Salamanders fire in arcs, yes. You can definitely place them behind other units of infantry.

The same goes for the Engine of the Gods; the laser beam is essentially a bound wind spell similar to stuff like Vangheist's Revenge or Winds of Death. The actual stegadon itself is just an Ancient Stegadon, I believe with the greatbow.

Aginor likes this.
  6. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

Warden and Aginor like this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Maybe because of the nerf it received. Prior to the nerf it was wrecking face in multiplayer.

Aginor likes this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Salamanders fire in arcs, and the EoTG basicly just has a vortext type spell, but it goes in a straight line instead of randomly so you just pick a starting position and point it in the right direction.

Meh, it was underwhelming from day one.

Also, haven't they split up multiplayer and campaign balancing yet? Cuz multiplayer always has wonky balance due to the lack of technologies & the fact that humans can take advantage of certain mechanics that the AI simply can't (while on the other hand the AI is the absolute king of micro-management and thus a pain to fight when he has skirmishers).

That is actually also important, in multiplayer/custom combat I found salamanders to be even less impressive due to the lack of technologies. On the other hand, red-crested skinks performed way better when I tested them in custom combat than compared to when used in the actual campaign.

NIGHTBRINGER and Aginor like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks for the info, guys!
    Definitely going to try them all out.

And yes, I also love Steggies in melee.
    In fact it makes high level Skink Priests/Chiefs pretty awesome. Infantry just gets wrecked by them unless it is spears/halberds.

Right now my army composition most of the time is:
    1 Commander, usually a Saurus
    1 Skink Priest, usually heavens but beasts can also be cool
    2 Saurus Warrioes with shields and spears for the flanks
    4 Saurus Warriors with shields and clubs for the center
    6 units of Chameleon Skinks.
    2 units of Salamanders
    2 units of Terradons
    2 units of big dinosaurs or Kroxigor

It works halfway well, although it is not nearly as easy to play as High Elves.

I tried the Bastilasons with ark of sotek and they did work well, but it is hard to judge. They seem somewhat cost efficient but they are a tad too slow for my taste. I like that they soften up targets and tank them in melee.

Side note: Kroak is totally OP. Epic!

Canas likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Basiladons with arks are very nice to tie down an entire flank on their own. Only downside is that the ark is an active that you basicly just want to cast on CD. Imho, one of the biggest downgrades in TW warhammer, you can't put stuff on auto-cast anymore.

I'd phase out the chameleons eventually, you're not going to outshoot proper archers & against heavily armoured targets like chosen they won't really achieve much anyway. But seeing as you have no temple guard yet it's probably not that late in the game.

Aginor likes this.
  11. Lium
    Saurus

Lium Active Member

That seems to be an excessive amount of Chameleon Skinks I'd say. They don't perform that well. You'd be better off trading those in for something like Temple Guard or more Saurus Warriors. Even some Cavalry.

Aginor likes this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

What I like about them is that they poison enemies, and that they can attack from the sides or the back, which seems to stress infantry a lot.

I usually place them in front of my Saurus units, and when the enemy reaches them they can retreat very quickly through the Saurus Warriors' lines. It can throw the AI off and they fail to charge.
    I then move the Chameleons to the flanks to shoot the enemy in the back.

I am pretty happy with them, but I still think you are right. Later I will replace some of them with other units.

My problem with cavalry is that they are pretty useless for sieges and require more micro than I am able to do. I'd rather go for Saurus (a bit boring though) or maybe flyers.

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, our cavalry is fairly underwhelming. Plus we have a load of big dinosaurs which effectivly fullfill the role of line-breakers and actually have staying power. Just use those instead.

Chameleons work, untill you start facing loads of doomstacks with heavy armour. Then they simply don't achieve anything anymore. The poison is still nice, but just means the enemy'l take slightly longer cutting up your average sauri warriors :p

Also yeah, shooting in the back causes more damage, avoids shields & has a morale impact. If the enemy is lightly armoured it's devestating even with the chameleon's puny darts.

Aginor likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Ok guys, I need your help.
    I failed this puzzle yesterday. So far I was able to solve these, and I even looked up a tutorial just to be sure, but I cannot find the solution here.
    I made a screenshot of it because it was the second puzzle of this type that did not have an obvious solution.
    Unfortunately I didn't save the game before that so I don't know what the solution is.

dial.PNG

15. Aginor
    Slann

Tutorials for all puzzle types btw:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Captaniser likes this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

Never mind, solved it now. #1 is correct.
    I have no clue why it didn't work out for me earlier.

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

those things are so annoying..

18. Aginor
    Slann

I normally enjoy puzzles but those are.. meh.

Captaniser likes this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, the idea isn't terrible, but since you can't move the pieces around and just have an awkward picture it doesn't really work well. It's very easy to screw em up slightly cuz you have to do the entire thing mentally and the squickly lines aren't exactly thin. So being off by a couple of degrees can mean a very different anwser.

Captaniser and Aginor like this.
  20. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

I literally always get that riddle when I'm already tired after a day, so usually I take a screenshot, launch Krita, cut wheels to layers, rotate, job's done ;)

Canas and Aginor like this.