1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lounge, Army Diary.

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Gojira, Aug 19, 2010.

1. MasterSlann
    Cold One

MasterSlann New Member

wow! those are some great looking models. what is the paint scheme you used to the saurus warriors?

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

They do look a bit bald don't they? Good though! I like the effect, and as mentinoed they look different immediately but still similar.

3. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm glad the seem obviously chameleons to you. That's more than I was hoping for.

All the paints I mention are P3.
    For the saurus skin, I spray them white and paint them trollblood base. Then I give them a thin wash of coal black. I use some matt medium and water to mix with the paint to make a wash. Then I go over the raised areas with trollblood base again, and then I mix in some trollblood highlight and do a few more layers mixing up to pure trollblood highlight.

Hope that helps.

4. boreas
    Saurus

boreas New Member

I've been experimenting with P3 paints lately, mainly because GW doesn't have a full range of turquoise. I must say I'm really impressed with the quality of the products. I've got 3 pots as of now (compared to my 70-something pot of GW paints), but I'm going to get more in the future...

Phil

5. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Good to see others using P3 paints...I personally hate GW paints, even though I still use a few of their colors. P3 is win :smug:

6. Sun Drinker
    Skink

Sun Drinker New Member

these are the most interestingly painted lizardmen models i've seen. i'm very impressed and inspired.

7. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

Click the image for a bigger version.

New unit of skinks, which I'm happier about than the last ones. I made the skirmisher movement tray from foamboard and plasticard.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Cool, I really like the colour scheme on them and they look great on the movement tray!

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I would like to see a step by step tutorial on the skirmisher movement tray. That looks awesome!

10. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

It's just a piece of foamboard with the holes cut out, and then I stuck it to a sheet of thin plasticard to cover the holes at the bottom.

11. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, I was thinking that it would be more elaborate than that. What do you do when they get charged(to close ranks)?

12. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

I just take them out of the tray in those rare cases. I mostly flee when I'm not standing and shooting, so they don't get into combat much.

I was thinking of casting up a reversible tray with skirmish on one side and closed ranks on the other.

13. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

Yep, I'm on a break from the Dark Woods pf the Beastmen tribes and I'm back in the jungles of Lustria. Long story short, the beasts have done me proud have won a prize in all the corners of my small country. So, I need to jazz up my Lizards so I can do it with them too. I wanted to sculpt my own bases but I didn't have much experience, so I just decided to do it and get better with practice. The 25mm were the first ones I did as they would be the least common bases in my army. The 20mm were the ones I did last and I'm happy with my progress skill wise. Some of these are WIP, what you think so far? I won't be redoing any of them as they are in my friends place being cast up. But I developed a liking for this sculpting lark, so I will definitely be doing more based on feedback and ideas and tips. So fire away.

Edit: A second slann for when I'm rocking 2 of them.

14. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

That Slann is simply stunning... One the most simple yet most beautiful scheme I've ever seen for the big toad!

As for the bases, they look really good painted!

15. nuklearangel
    Skink

nuklearangel Member

Super high quality there Gojira. Nice name too, love that band... I was wondering what paints you used on the chameleons? Also your bases are looking great too, as you say sculpting comes with practice, but these bases are already very good. Keep them coming!

16. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

Thanks for the comments, more fuel for painting. Not sure I know any band called Gojira, but nice all the same.

I'm not 100% sure what my paints were for my chameleons they are on the PC and I'm on the tablet right now. I think it was a cryx bane base with iosan green and trollblood highlight mixed as the base, then the battledress brown colour as a wash and then the same mix again highlighting up with trollblood highlight. I'll confirm in the morning. All those are P3 paints.

17. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Oh, that slann is so cool :) You should have signed into latest challenge a you would have won it by mile at least ;)

Love the skinks too :) Beautiful basing indeed...

EDIT: Oh, I went through whole topic! That amazing stuff! How could I have missed it?! Your chameleons are great (looking quite weird without crests or those funny frog hats, though - but that just until one gets used to them I guess)... I wish to have your talent!

Any chance for seeing that TG movement tray in use? At least with regular saurus... Please, please, please!

EDIT #2: Which small country are you from?

18. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

I'm from Ireland. My army was easy to miss, as it was on page 15 because I have only gotten back to Lizards just now. I need to push forward on the whole project but it might take a while as my Skrox won't really fit when my lords are comped. So I need to have a replacement on hand for those. I wont be using the TG as TG either they are just fancy saurus and they will be going on the temple tray.

I have so much to do and a slightly busy schedule but I won't stop this time until they are complete.

19. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

brilliant painting! i tip my hat to you. If i were to give some constructive criticism it would be to add a but more contrast and texture to the horns on the slanns chair. they look a bit plain to me, especially besides your otherwise high contrast painting technique. but i fully understand if this is a deliberate choice.

really looking forward to updates :)

20. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

Remembered the recipe for the chameleons finally. The base coat is a mix of cry bane base/iosan green/trollblood highlight. Then a wash of battledress green. And then highlight up with the base mix plus more trollblood.

The horns of the slann palaquin I feel still follow my contrast style. They are a very dark brown at the base and go very light cream very quickly. There isn't any texture or detail on them so I left them looking smooth.

Updates on the rest of the bases soon.