1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The Magic systems

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Jun 26, 2019.

?

Which Magic system was best?

1. 8th

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. 7th

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 6th

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 5th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (Maybe your own, if so please elaborate)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

On many occasions I have pondered the magic system of 8th edition fantasy, and found it rather flawed.
    What I mean by that is, that the system does not scale at all, so in small games you have a relatively large amount of dice, while in larger games the amount is insufficent. Bound spells are downright bad, and most of the time just a distraction and waste of powerdice, and a lot of them might break down at any time.

Now I've only really played 8th edition warhammer, and so I don't know too much about the magic system prior to 8th; so my question is: Which system was best or which did you like the most? Furthermore what could be done to fix the system in 8th, personally I like this guys approach: https://robhawkinshobby.blogspot.com/2014/12/magic-in-warhammer.html

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I’ve only played 7th and 8th, and I prefer the much more subtle magic mechanics in 7th. While I’ve played with 8th magic more often (in 7th I mostly just played with Dwarfs so didn’t need to know much about magic), I don’t like how some spells in 8th just break the game if they go off well, whereas even the most powerful magic in 7th doesn’t go this far.

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  3. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I've given some more thought to the topic, though not so much regarding which was best, rather how it could be improved.
    How about doing a bit like in AOS, where each wizard can cast a certain number of spells, maybe equal to his wizard lv. That way spells can be balanced, so stronger spells are harder to get off, so players won't just 6-dice them.

An alternative, which I kinda like better, is making it resource based.
    Each wizard would give a certain amount of magic-resource each round, that could be used to then cast a spell, no need to roll, just expend the appropriate amount of resources. Now maybe stuff like dispel scrolls would need to be changed to instead of dispelling, then take away some of the resource.
    You would need to save you some resources to cast the bigger spells; Maybe Is should mention that the idea is that the resource does not disappear between rounds.
    One could also save some up for a turn, where you could cast lots of spells.
    This would mean that miscast is not really a thing, but it could be implemented to be something like: roll a dice for each resource expended, for each roll of a 1, the wizard takes a strength 6 hit or something like that.