1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS The new Battletome: A Discussion

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by sigmonstar, Mar 2, 2020.

?

Are you optimistic about our new battletome?

1. Yes

160 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Undecided

30 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

You can make a pretty ridiculous shooting list in thunder lizard. And i think theres always something good about taking 150+ wounds of stuff that reduces damage by 1 and has a 4+. It'll take a lot to chomp through that.

I know you said you don't care much for TTS, but i've played a lot of lists on there of various shapes and sizes if anyone has any questions.

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  2. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

I also just noted the wording on the Teclis ‘auto cast’s. The fact it gives a casting value could either be to trigger the ‘higher level’ effects, or it could mean we can still dispel them..?

If they dominate, the value of our Slann reroll artefact/trait could increase?

Also, would someone mind PMing me the discord link?

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

His summoning mostly revolves around summoning fresh skinks.
    His army consists of 3 things: 1) Summoners 2) Skinks 3) A few guard.

That's fairly skink spammy...

And again, I didn't say skink spam, I said skink spam, but this time backed up by Kroak (who actually gets to do damage this time around instead of sacrificing all his spells). It's pretty much how the old summoning lists played. Just that instead of purely playing for objectives we might actually kill some stuff with our summoners (or well, with Kroak mostly...).

That's pretty much literally just the old summoning. Summon skinks 9 out of 10 times, and occasionally summon an odd salamander/razordon/minor hero...

Nart and Erta Wanderer like this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

If they can drop it on a capable melee target that's still going to be horrific to deal with. Plus, given that Teclis already has 4 casts I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be impossible to just dispell, move and recast then recast it without wasting all your army's spellcasts. Combined with a capable melee wizard that'd be pretty powerfull.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  5. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Why? Because it is digital? And digital books are not real books? I can get this point in case of 40k, which has way more problems, but either system is very good and close representation of real tabletop experience. I see no reason not to consider TTS game results (other than insane amount of some unit types which are not as easy to access IRL, but it is also a matter of time for dedicated competitive players).

And what bodies would it be if not skinks again? Maybe saurus, which I mentioned. What is the point of summoning a carnosaur turn 4 and have about 40% chance to even get it into battle? I'd better summon a couple of sallies and 100% fry what I want with ranged attacks. Same with all other options. You have to wait at least 1 more turn to rely on them doing anything after summoning them. This means, that the most appealing units are those that do their job from the moment you have summoned them. Which, once again, leaves us with skinks, salamanders, saurus and guard.

I don't really see how it is different. Exactly the same mechanics with more limitations. I don't think, that we suffer from it, but it doesn't make it good. Everything more expansive than 10 CCP is just not worth summoning, maybe, except kroxigors. Heroes which use their abilities in combat phase maybe ok if you happened to lose them early on, maybe ok, but that's it. I am not disappointed that we cannot summon wave after wave of skinks like before. I am disappoineted that there are 3-4 obvious choices and 3/4 of the summoning lists is plain useless.

I already mentioned salamanders. For 10 CCP they are the best thing to summon in terms of damage and can be called early on. Yes, summoning chief may be useful, but what if: 1) I won't generate enough CCP because of bad dice before turn when I need him? 2) Will my slann/astrolith be in a good position to summon it? 3) Shall I have free LoSaT to teleport it in such a position if not? 4) Will it make them more vulnerable if I teleport them in such position? Maybe they won't be where they need to be if I do that?

After such considerations I'd rather take chief with me in the first place and won't be concerned about such things. And this doesn't suddenly make our summoning a toolbox, because we are still stuck in 10 CCP part, except, maybe, kroxigors. Previous summoning were way closer to toolbox IMO, because we could indeed summon the stuff we needed. If the list were about bodies, we could summon big monster later. If we brought mostly monsters, we could summon chaff, etc. etc.

Canas and Erta Wanderer like this.
  6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

If they drop it on melee unit you just ignore them they can't hurt you and they won't be big enough to hold a objective against you you

7. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Some of the nuances of melee are lost in TTS. It just becomes a lot harder/annoying to play a list with 2 units of 40 saurus than a shooting/magic based list that doesnt require you to mess around with precisely moving and piling in a bunch of models.

Either way, i think these online games have made it fairly obvious that our shooting and magic is extremely strong (if it wasn't obvious already).

It's basically the bane of TTS right now.

8. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

so are shooting is really good when its main counter is hamstrung good to know:p

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  9. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Meh, I dunno if i'd use the word hamstrung. I think its more people are less likely to bring hordes in TTS just cuase when all the options are available to you, who wants to move hundreds of models around with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, seraphon match up really well against Mortek and Warclans anyways, which are the two most popular horde armies. I dont see the tabletop being that much different than TTS in that respect

Nart likes this.
  10. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I understand it that way, that 10 casting value is the value of auto-cast, not of the spell itself. So, yes, there's always a chance to dispell it, but very low. Kroak with +2/+3 to unbind could be very helpful here. But what about other factions, that have no bonuses to unbind?

I don't argue, that it is not perfect replication, but it is still not a reason to devaluate results of tts games.

I guess, nothing would be changed on table. We don't have 25mm-based models with 2" range, which are often the core of melee armies. Our shooting is plain better than our melee.

11. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

For whatever reason, the most competitive form of lizards has always been a primarily shooty army. I had kind of hoped this new book would change that but oh well.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well yeah, but that makes for a melee powerhouse that can just wander around without a care in the world. It really depends what targets it can be placed on but it seems tremendously powerfull (especially if the opponent lacks ranged attacks or spells to circumvent it...)

13. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Wander around and do nothing the minute they charge they leave it behind

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

And then it turns out they can move with it cuz they have a teleport to charge with :p

Anyways, it seems rather powerfull defensivly. Even if it makes them stationairy I don't think there's another buff that even begins to compare in terms of power.

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Geez, our strongest tool is magic, if we focus on it we have a chance to counter Teclis, Nagash and Tzeentch.
    The other armies will just suck.

Nart likes this.
  16. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Yeah thats my point. The whole melee/combat aspect is really different on TTS, so I would guess a lot of people prefer to play shooting/casting to not mess too much about with doing pile-ins, honeycombing models to maximize attacks etc. Your experience with TTS itself/online gaming will also affect the outcome.

Thats why I dont care too much about the results. You can obviously get a general idea of things, but it isnt a true representation of how armies will fare against each other compared to the actual physical table.

17. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

It is not different, it is just more inconvenient. If a player wants to play close combat on tournament, they will certainly do it. Our group containts a enough melee armies and even armies with limited shooting. Yes, the process of model placement is a bit time-consuming and problematic and there are enough "let's count it standing there" because a model just won't stand properly, but that doesn't make the TTS experience different to the extent of "not counting it". The game has a lot of aspects besides close combat and they are represented exactly as they would be on physical table.

18. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

But thats exactly what I said. Many will then either deviate from playing largely melee or the results will not be the same. Just rank and filing vs piling in correctly or honeycombing units is a big difference.

19. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

I think what @Nart is saying is that the difference really isn't big enough to discount the whole medium.

I'd tend to agree. Especially when we are talking about piling in, honeycombing the biggest difference is just number of models swinging. You can easily make up for that by just agreeing with your opponent that a few more would probably realistically be in combat.

It's not the same, but it's close enough. I think it proves that our shooting and magic builds are incredibly good (which everyone was already kind of nodding their heads too just from reading the book). I think you could also argue that coalesced horde-based builds are stronger than they appear right now, but probably not stronger than our shooting/magic builds.

Only time will tell.

Nart likes this.
  20. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

But you said, that we should discard the results of TTS games as a whole, because honeycombing is impossible just because of this inconvenience. And I strongly disagree on this. Inonvenient =/= impossible. In if you really want to play a melee list, you can play it and play it to very high effectiveness. I tend to go in melee with skinks in every game and place them in two rows rather effectively. I get the same 17-18 skinks in range, that I've got during IRL test. Last game I played Knight-centered list and they were great despite all the problems with getting them in range. My experience in AoS TTS games is exactly the same as my experience with couple of games I had before shutdown. And in all of this games I had the same experience with skink blobs in melee.

I doubt that any competitive player will be discouraged to go melee-based if they really want to.