1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Random Thread of Random Randomness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Feb 10, 2019.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I never said that he felt that way about himself. It is a judgement I made(and shared) by watching his videos. I find it absurd to classify that as self-appointed when the judgement came from a third party. However, the fact remains that the dude knows his comic books!

If you don't care, then you don't care. I won't lose sleep over it. Personally, I'm interested in hearing from people with extensive subject expertise (across a wide range of subjects that have nothing do with this conversation), but to each their own.

I should clarify, when I said Marvel in that post I was speaking of the MCU in particular. It is well known that Marvel comics over the last decade have gone highly woke (far more than anything seen in the films), and have seen a corresponding drop in readership (even when accounting for other factors that are effecting the comic book industry a a whole).

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Solid points most of the way through but Wonder Woman was always intended to be a feminist icon. Granted it was 1930s feminism not 2010s feminism so it seems very tame today. At the time, it was pretty extreme.

Also the creator of Wonder Woman was a weird creepy dude, but that's neither here nor there.

I think 90% of the problems with Captain Marvel revolve around the fact that Brie Larson is really really bad at public relations.

I never watched Dr. Strange, so I don't know what his arc had.

Hulk kind of got swept under the rug. But Ironman had to learn humility. Then he had to learn to open up. Then Ironman 3, was pretty lousy in my opinion. Thor had to learn humility and compassion. Thor 2 kind of sucked. Thor 3 had Thor learn to be more flexible and to ask more questions of tradition. Captain America never had a humility problem. His arc over the movies was transitioning from a support person to being a true leader. Antman had a past as an ex-con to get past. He had a immaturity problem to overcome.

Captain Marvel was protrayed as having no character flaws. Her obstacle was that other people, ie evil men, were holding her back with a control chip.

She was raised by aliens. They could have had hilarious fish out of water storytelling as she adapted to Earth culture in a clumsy fashion. Like when Thor smashed a coffee cup and asked for another. She didn't have any problems meshing with mainstream Earth, Shield, and two different alien species. Wherever she was, she seemed to fit in.

She spent a large portion of her life unknowingly fighting as an agent of evil powers. She never really demonstrated remorse for her past actions. She never really seemed to demonstrate righteous anger for the people who tricked her. She never showed any hesitation after she switched sides and started blowing them up. Much like Po who left the stormtroopers in Disney Wars Episode 7, she began murdering her former friends with no hesitation.

These were very simple ways to give Carol Danvers internal conflict but the writers didn't want to.

The movie isn't terrible. There are some good jokes, good action, good special effects. Those who like the movie generally say the supporting cast was more interesting than Carol Danvers. Captain Marvel seems to sit in the middle of the MCU pack which is not a bad place to be.

I'm thinking of a discussion I had with my dad many years. My dad worked for a fairly large public university. We discussed two high profile coaches in nearby school. One of the coaches was all folksy and smile while the other was kind of cold and acerbic. The jerk coach had a strong winning record. My dad explained to me that they tolerate that because he wins. Universities like folksy "aw shucks" coaches but they will put up with a jerk if the jerk wins games. If the jerk coach starts losing, they'll dump him. If a nice guy coach has a losing, they might dump him.

I guess same principle. Brie Larson did not seem grateful to be part of the MCU. She even posted pictures on social media where she was basically celebrating Stan Lee's death. That's not classy. Stan Lee wasn't perfect, but it's a tradition that unless a dead person is Hitler-esque, you don't speak ill of the dead, especially recently.

Anyway, thanks for keeping things civil. It's good that we can discuss different opinions in pop culture without getting hostile.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Fair enough. That distinction between first wave feminism and today's feminism makes all the difference in the world.

I think you mean Finn

Scalenex and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Actors or Actresses should always (always? ...well maybe almost always***) be grateful to be cast in a part. And I have no idea what MCU stands for...

***there was a film Sean Connery appeared in that started with a capital Zed. No one should be grateful for that. Everyone should be grateful if the original celluloid negatives deteriorate and die.

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Let there be Islands:

[​IMG]
    Otudan and the sheltered port of Alatil are quite pronounceable.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Marvel Cinematic Universe.

7. Scalenex
    Slann

Oops. I guess that demonstrates how little I care about the Mouse Star Wars movies these days.

Warning, mild adult humor\/. Skip 44 seconds to avoid the sponsor add if you want.

Sadly my RPG is on slow mode due to having trouble regularly meeting but it hasn't stopped me from watching world building videos on D&D monsters. I cannot like this video enough.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Reaper makes a few minis of that sort.

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

[​IMG]
    At Last! Something I can get a tiny bit interested in, in The Randomness Thread.

LizardWizard likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

:p

(The channel covers a wide breadth of interesting topics btw)

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

[​IMG]
    The Fungal Queen — In Bones Black

Aginor likes this.
  16. Scalenex
    Slann

That is a disturbingly sexy fungus.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Aginor likes this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Trust the fungus!

18. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Then allow me to introduce you to a thread on another Forum:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index....ctphoto-heavy/&do=findComment&comment=1858005

This goes directly ^ to a converted version of the Fungal Queen which is, IMO, even more... :angelic: ...delectable.

If you dig that Myconid video you owe it to yourself to go back to the beginning of the “Last Hurrah” thread by Malefactus and enjoy it in order.

TLDR Version:
    Once upon a time there was a Forum called Tom’s Boring Mordheim Forum. A notable member there was-is Deafnala. He still creates amazing things, many of which are Fungal. He posts these creations in the present on LAF and/or Reaper’s forums under the screen names Deafnala and/or Malefactus, respectively. The Last Hurrah thread is his current opus of work.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

There can only be one...

[​IMG]

LizardWizard likes this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I must admit that it looks kind of cool... until the kid gets smoked by a car while trick or treating...

[​IMG]

Scalenex and LizardWizard like this.