1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Army Fluff The Thunderous Herd

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by serekth, Dec 15, 2013.

1. serekth
    Skink

serekth New Member

I was reading the stegadon entry and the bit about the thunderous herds caught my eye. I'm currently designing a 2500 point army around a stegadon herd. I'm not sure which units from the army book would comprise a stegadon herd. I'm getting the feeling that it's going to be skink only. So the idea I'm building around the herd is similar to how tribes of native americans followed around herds of buffalo. As far as monsters, the only monsters I'll be using are stegadons and stegadon ancients. I will definitely include skink cohorts, and skink skirmishers. I'm not sure about kroxigors and I'm not sure about chameleon skinks. Leadership would consist of skink priests and skink chiefs.

Is my idea in line with the current Lizardmen lore? I read the unit entries to see if I could garner more information on these stegadon herds, but I couldn't find anything. What are your thoughts on the units that I could use to make my stegadon herd?

2. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Tbh, i understood Stegadon Herds to be wild entities of many stegadons running around.

But a group of skinks nurturing the natural territorial beasts ferocity in a group would be a force to reckon with.

seems to me you're following fluff perfectly fine, and remember, at the end of the day you can make your own fluff for your army.

3. serekth
    Skink

serekth New Member

Okay thanks VampTeddy! I've been working on a list so we'll see how competitive I can be using this idea for my list.

4. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

The tweak i would add, is pteradons! Just to allow your skinks to keep up, an survey the area. It would also allow them to herd particular grumpy beasts without the chance of getting squished! After all the native Americans had horses to keep up!

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

never have "cowboys" been more appropriate for an army theme.

get these guys

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1140054

run them as "count as" oldblood and scar-vet cowboys.

fluffwise they can be the actual herders, and you can justify the extra combat-ability with that being a Stegadon tamer takes its tall on a skink!

Conversionwise I think some bone-fragments used as armour would be fitting, to symbolise the extra(..extra extra) toughness.

Gamewise it solves your Leadership problem, and add's target saturation to your stegs (you can actually field all 5 of those guys in a 2400pts match.)

----
    To the idea in general:

the fluff DOES mention that skink hunting parties gather stegadon eggs for the temple cities, and its not far off that your army is such a party, who just happend to be a little more badass and chooses grab the reigns of a couple of wild stegadons along the way.

I think its a very cool army theme!

EDIT:

Your general Skink rider (using old blood rules) should have the stegadon helmet per definition :D

6. serekth
    Skink

serekth New Member

Those are awesome ideas! I'll start working on lists I incorporate them. I don't need much of an excuse to not study for finals