1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Prehistoric Documentary Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

If you haven’t noticed, some of us Dino-fans (namely @Infinity Turtle, @Lizards of Renown and @Imrahil) have been clogging up Scalenex’s latest Short Story Contest threads with posts concerning our obsessions with documentaries revolving around prehistoric life, so I’ve developed this thread for all future discussions about our fave tv programmes about the extremely distant past! Feel free to post all manner of stuff about how much you love your top natural history programmes here!

As I was the first to create this thread, I will post my favourites first:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I eagerly await everyone else’s voices!

:)

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

This is brilliant!

Unfortunately, I can't remember the titles of any of the programs I used to watch when I was a kid.

I guess Jurassic Park doesn't count? ;)

3. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Infinity Turtle Well-Known Member

Huzzah!!
    [​IMG]
    (Nigel's first appearence in this universe I believe- predating Prehistoric Park by several years)

upload_2020-3-19_20-7-29.jpeg
    ^Some of you may recognise this dinosaur size chart (@Rednax ) which is from the 'Sea Monsters' portion of the Chased by Dinosaurs 3-parter:
    [​IMG]

Some lesser known perhaps...:

[​IMG]
    I literally only just managed to track down this one after months of "What's that one where the thing falls into a hole and can't get out and then dies?" so if you also have that exact memory, then well done.

[​IMG]
    ^This one is an off-shoot of Walking WIth Dinosaurs

[​IMG]
    ^ When Dinouars Roamed America (we used to borrow this from a friend)

There are many more, but for now I'll leave you with this...:

I really don't know how we stumbled upon this in our youth but my gosh. What a rollarcoaster...

Attached Files:

4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Look for PBS EONs on YouTube. They are usually 11-12 minutes long focused on a single topic.

5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay, so my program would be something with David Attenborough for sure, even though I still can't remember it.

I'll do some research and find some of the old programs.

Gotta say that I do love his narration of these nature program type things. :cool:

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

This one is pretty interesting. On mobile you can rotate the Camera 360° with touch screen and it's pretty amazing, i have no idea what you could see on a pc screen

7. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Amazing find!

Most 360° YouTube clips can be rotated with a mouse click and swiping the cursor around.

Grrr, Imrahil

8. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Just started rewatching ‘Chased By Dinosaurs’ (with Nigel Marvin) and I’ve made some mini apple pies. I’m all set for this self isolation...

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Well, pretty much all birds are dinosaur descendants, because birds evolved from raptorid dinosaurs that started to use their feathers for first gliding and then powered flight, but I know what you mean, some birds like Ostriches and Emus look more prehistoric than others

Lizerd and Lizards of Renown like this.
  11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

My point exactly.

There is a bird, with a cone head that has arguably the deepest bird call in the world. Check it out.

@Infinity Turtle so Australia and New Zealand are both on my "Must Travel To Some Day" list. Absolutely stunning.

12. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Australian megafauna is truly incredible. When you look at surviving megafauna today, namely giraffes, elephants and the like, we've kinda gotten used to them. Things like Emu, Cassowary and kangaroo are still technically megafauna, but since people think everything in australia is big/dangerous, they're kind of disregarded.

I was just listening to some cassowary calls and my brother said it sounds like a velociraptor. So point proven i guess...?

Cassowaries are kind of terrifying...

An art project I'm working on at the moment has given me a lot of free reign, so I'm researching Australian megafauna and dinosaurs and exploring a world in which they were still alive in the late 1800s/early 1900s (in Australia, of course). Australovenator is arguably one of the coolest predators ever, giant wombats (diprotodons) and massive kangaroos reaching over 2m are just a few of the incredible creatures that existed in Australia. Though most dies out many years ago, some of our 'prehistoric' animals were alive less than a hundred years ago, such as the Thylacine, or Tasmanian tiger. In New Zealand, Moas also survived for quite a while, only dying out 600 years ago ish.

One of the biggest dinosaur 'trails' in Australia is in central Queensland and going there was unforgettable. If you ever get the chance to come to Australia and you're into camping/roughing it, a trip to central Australia is well worth it! (particularly for dinosaurs...)

I haven't been to the Top End (the Northern Territory) but one day it'd be really cool.

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, Cassowary is big and dangerous, so it fits perfectly australian style.