1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS The use of the Oldblood's command: Paragon of Order

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

So I took a look at the command of the Oldblood, as I want to use him in my Bloodclaw army, but I was a bit confused about what he did? Does his command mean that it only works on groups of allies, like warriors or guards, and all models except one can move 3 inch forward?

Also I want to try a bit of a strong balanced Bloodclaw army. The base of it will be these guys:

Bloodclaw Starhost: 100
    Oldblood on Carnosaur: 320
    Scar Veteran on Carnosaur: 260
    Oldblood: 100
    Scar veteran on Cold one: 100
    Unit of 5 guards: 100
    Unit of 5 guards: 100
    Unit of 30 warrors

And then 120 points to get 5 chameleon skinks to take out the crew of siege equipment. Namely those ridiculous Hellcanons.

That leaves me with 500 points. Which of the three following options sounds better?

1) Get two skink priests to gain the Celestial rites buff (making sure you get at least one to get it). And then a Bastiladon to help tank your frontline together with your 10 guards

2) Get two skink priests, but another stack of 30 warriors, so you have a extra stack of warriors available. Though your 10 front guards might not be able to cover all of them.

3) get only 1 skink priest, but get a Dread Saurian to help cover your front just like the Bastiladon. But with more HP and a larger area.

Bowser likes this.
  2. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

All units with the Seraphon keyword that has at least one member within 10" of him is affected by it. Pick one member of that unit, it can't move but each other member of that unit can then move up to 3" reforming around that member that didn't move as long as it doesn't put them within 3" of the enemy,

3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Paragon of Order: This allows all seraphon units within 10 inches to reform. they wouldn't all ve able to move up 3 inches, as you have to keep the unit together with models being within 1 inch of each other. but it is useful if you need to move them closer or tighten defense.
    I would go with option 1 personally, but I like having that bastiladon around, and the buffs from the priests do so much for you.

4. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

So the Oldblood's command does not work on single units right? Well I guess I can use it to move my army around faster? But on the other hand, the Bastiladon does have a movement speed of only 5 inch. Do you think I should just position my army so that if I move first I can charge in? (So not all the way up front).

And I was thinking about 1 priest and one star priest to buff my guards. But on second thought having two priests does make sure you get that nice reroll on the guards and Bastiladon's 3+ defense.

Bowser likes this.
  5. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Correct any unit of just one thing, ie Slaan, Oldblood, Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, Stegadon, etc. would be affected by the rule but would be the lynch pin of the movement and therefore not actually move.

tom ndege and Bowser like this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

If you want to play aggressively it's a really nice ability.
    Especially with summons, given that the summoned units appear at more than 9" from the enemy and that counts as move, thus making difficult to charge or impossible to shoot (sallies, for example). But that 3" move let you close the distance.

7. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

But summons are only good in non competetive matches right?

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

They are a powerful tool also in matched plays , but you need to keep a reserve pool of points

9. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

I can see it as a good tool to reform a unit in preperation for a charge or for anothe unit to get by easily.

Bowser likes this.