1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thunder Lizards - Custom Blood Bowl Team WIP

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by RogueThirteen, Dec 20, 2010.

1. RogueThirteen
    Skink

RogueThirteen New Member

Greetings everyone. I just joined a Blood Bowl league and decided to play a Lizardmen team. Lizardmen have always been my favorite Warhammer army, and I used to have an army for them years and years ago.

This will be a developing WIP thread, so feedback and advice is greatly appreciated. My goal is to create a team that's got a really personal feel with all the players being distinct conversions that help them stand out on the pitch as individuals.

SKINKS: below is just a sample of the color scheme I'm going to use for my skinks on the team. A really simple and quick paint scheme that I think works pretty nice.

Skink-Painted.jpg

SAURUSES: the goal with the suari will be to give them each a unique, dynamic, and recognizable pose to help distinguish them on the pitch. These are just some early WIPs, as the final versions will also have shoulder pads (though still working out what they will be -- I'm thinking bone-ish genestealer armor plates or the temple guard drums cut in half).

FeatheredSaurus.jpg

Saurus-Grabby.jpg

Saurus-Runny.jpg

KROXIGOR: The team's Kroxigor will be a central pillar. As I have a huge aversion to metal miniatures (hard to assemble, customize, paint, and transport), I really wanted to make a plastic Kroxigor that felt like it belonged on the Blood Bowl pitch and had a unique flavor and style. Really pleased with this one so far, though still needs some definite shoulder pads.

DSC02577.jpg

DSC02572.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Bracnos and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Use [pic] tags for pictures, and tags for links. EDIT: Oh, and that...roup of people who want to start BB together!

3. RogueThirteen
    Skink

RogueThirteen New Member

Bump - added lots of updates in first post.

Also, forgot this one of the Suarus' chest armor:

SaurusChestArmor.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Those are really excellent conversions. I especially like the Ogre-Lizard. That would make a sweet looking alternate for a Kroxigor.

Great work. I look forward to seeing them painted.

5. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Kroxigor is awesome!

Just get a few scales on the smooth flesh portions, and I'd buy that model over the official metal ones.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Really like that idea for chest armour, great work mate!

7. RogueThirteen
    Skink

RogueThirteen New Member

Finished painting two more of the skinks, so just one more to go! Nothing terribly exciting about the conversions of these models. Just used some green-stuff to make straps around the shoulders, then attached Temple Guard jawbones and icons as shoulder pads. The fourth skink is a pretty interesting conversion, but I wanted to practice the painting on these simpler ones at first. Any pointers on the painting would be greatly appreciated, as I'm very new to the painting game.

"Skully," "Cresty," & "Runty"

SkinksPainted.jpg

SkinksPainted2.jpg

SkullyPainted.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  8. RogueThirteen
    Skink

RogueThirteen New Member

Finished a few more conversions.. These skinks will serve as sideline support for the team. First, two cheerleaders. I used extra bits from the Stegadon howdah to build a small stair platform for the banner-wavers to stand on. The pieces nicely slide together, so the models can be placed next to each other and look like a single display piece. Following them is an assistant coach, who I imagine is a sacrificial priest who uses augury to decide plays based on the entrails of the sacrificial victims. Again, I used the quiver from the Stegadon howdah to add a base effect, and used extra skeleton skulls from an Undead Team project to build up a mound of skulls for the priest to stand on. The model is the skink champion body with the head of a regular skink brave (I used the helmeted head on the body of another skink player). Enjoy!

Skink Cheerleaders:
    SkinkCheerleaders.jpg

Skink Assistant Coach (Sacrificial Priest):
    AssistantCoac.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  9. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

Bracnos likes this.
  10. RogueThirteen
    Skink

RogueThirteen New Member

After quite a long wait, finally managed to get more painting done. Finished the Kroxigor (and took the advice posted above about adding more scales to the fleshy parts). Tried to get it similar to the Sauri - lots of scales on the back, some of the shoulders, and then bare flesh everywhere else. Also, I think I finally settled on a color scheme for the sauri after several tests.

Sorry about the bad lighting; I'm no photographer and we haven't had any sunny days in a long time.

Kroxigor-Painted.jpg

Skinks-Painted.jpg

RavenPainted.jpg

Bracnos and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  11. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

Wow, that Kroxigor looks feisty :D I have to say, judging by the fact it looks better in the dark, it might need another wash? I'm no painting expert, but that's what I think you do if you want it darker...

12. ancient stegadon
    Cold One

ancient stegadon New Member

where are those shoulder plates from the saurus from? it are some sort of wings right?

13. RogueThirteen
    Skink

RogueThirteen New Member

Yea, the second rank of photos on the Krox was with a flash, which put some harsh lighting on the Krox. In actuality, it looks quite a bit darker in normal light (so somewhere between the two photos). But with perpetually gloomy weather, I had to opt for photos that were too dark and too bright.

The shoulder pads on the Saurus are feathered. They came from a Mage Knight miniature called "Talon Warrior" which I found by chance online and was able to order for like $0.50 (US). Removing the shoulder pads from the original model was a nightmare, but the end result came out pretty nice and it makes a distinct player on the pitch who is easy to differentiate from his Saurus teammates.

14. ancient stegadon
    Cold One

ancient stegadon New Member

cool great job btw ;P

15. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

They make models for blood bowl don't they? Are they the same size as regular warhammer models?

Oh yeah and nice work. Looks great esp the kroxigor. Though I'm sure you've heard that like 1000 times by now.

16. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah bloodbowl is the same scale.