1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Thunderquake tournament list

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by MackiMac, Apr 10, 2019.

1. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

MackiMac Well-Known Member

I will be taking this list in a small tournament soon. I have actually never played a Thunderquake before. Any tips on how to play it and what to look out for is highly appreciated. :)
    What should I focus the summoning on? Skinks, Razordons and ripperdactyls? A eternity warden to protect the Slann? Or maybe even a troglodon?

Thanks for any replies

Allegiance: Seraphon - Mortal Realm: Shyish

LEADERS

Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Great Rememberer
    - Artefact : Incandescent Rectrices

Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)

Engine of the Gods (220) (<-- Thunderquake Starhost)
    - Artefact : Ethereal Amulet

UNITS

10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

10 x Skinks (60)

10 x Skinks (60)

3 x Skink Handlers (40) (<-- Thunderquake Starhost)

4 x Razordons (160) (<-- Thunderquake Starhost)

2 x Razordons (80)

BEHEMOTHS

Bastiladon (280) (<-- Thunderquake Starhost)
    - Solar engine

Bastiladon (280) (<-- Thunderquake Starhost)
    - Solar engine

Stegadon (220)
    - Sunfire throwers

BATTALIONS

Thunderquake Starhost (120)

TOTAL: 2000/2000
    EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1
    WOUNDS: 100
    LEADERS: 3/6
    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)
    BEHEMOTHS: 4/4
    ARTILLERY: 2/4
    ARTEFACTS: 2/2
    ALLIES: 0/400

2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Best of luck at your event.

A general rule of thumb for shooting armies is that you want to go second turn one. This will change based on the battleplan though. Thunderquake to an extent requires that you castle up your army to gain the battalion benefits. As a result if you are playing something where the objectives are located in the center field (Shifting Objectives, ect) then you will want first turn. This will allow you to LoSaT your Skinks to objectives and move up field with all your artillery.

Make sure you have read the Errata for the Battalion's buff.

In terms of Summoning you will likely need additional bodies quickly for objectives and fresh screens. This means Skinks might be your most frequent choice. Whenever I roll into a summon on my EotGs turn one I like to bring on Ripperdactyls so that I can place a Bloat Toad.

Don't be afraid to be aggressive with your fire steggy vs horde units.

Have fun. If you aren't enjoying the event then they aren't worth attending.

Ask your opponents if they are willing to talk about the game after it ends. Then ask them if they are saw any misplays (win or lose). Listen and don't defend your choices:D

3. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

Thank you very much, those are some great advice. I will keep that in mind :)

Is the errata thing that you can reroll any hit/wound roll instead of just failed ones? Thats pretty good

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Thunderquake Starhost, The Creator’s Will Change the second sentence to: ‘At the start of your charge phase, you can declare that all of those units will be swift until your next charge phase, in which case you can re-roll charge rolls for those units and hit rolls for attacks made by those units. You can instead declare that all those units will be savage until your next charge phase, in which case you can re-roll wound rolls for attacks made by those units and save rolls for attacks that target those units.’

You can now only set the Battalion to Savage or Swift at the start of YOUR combat phase.

Wilhelm Stürmer and MackiMac like this.
  5. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

I did not notice that, I thought it always been like that. I have not looked in the battletome for a long time.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. zubrin
    Saurus

zubrin Member

Charge phase

7. Slikus Vaw
    Cold One

Slikus Vaw Active Member

so it goes from charge phase to charge phase right(counts during shooting phase in between charge phases)? i just wanto make sure

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Yep, in each of your charge phases you choose Savage or Swift and it last until the start of your next Charge Phase.

Slikus Vaw likes this.
  9. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

The army is ready for battle!

Attached Files:

10. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Wilhelm Stürmer Well-Known Member

Looks great! Planning on writing up a battle report?

LizardWizard likes this.
  11. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

I could give it a try, but do not have any high expectations. I’m a dyslectic swede so I’m not the greatest writer, especially not in english.

LizardWizard likes this.
  12. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Wilhelm Stürmer Well-Known Member

No worries! You could approach it different ways, such as text to speech, a simple outline, or another way that might be most comfortable for you.

LizardWizard likes this.
  13. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

I've played the two first matches today. We should have played all three but there where a misunderstaning with the boking of the local, so didnt get to start in time. We agreed to play the last game next week. I wont write up entire battlereports, but I took a couple of pictures of one game and thought I would share them here. I did manage to win both games. I was really suprised how tanky the Bastiladons become in a Thunderquake, never used that battalion before. The Insensate rage booldthirster is brutal! It did 8 mortal wounds (both bastiladons save half) to almost my entire army the first turn, except the Slann (luckily), Sunfire Stegadon and two skink units. The TQ heal and save reroll is priceless, all three TQ monsters where almost back to full health by the end of the game.

Attached Files:

14. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

My opponent will most likely be Skaven Pestilens with 120 plague monks, plague furnace, screaming bell, priest, 3 catapults with two batallions I cant remember the name of. One buff the catapults and the other the monks I think.
    Got any advice facing them? :)

The battleplan is Battle for the Pass

I know the plague monks can hit very hard, should I try to get rid of them first? And reduce their ability to take objectives?

LizardWizard likes this.
  15. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I played with Skaven on last tournament, it was 80 clanrats, 40 stormvermin, screaming bell, 2 abominations and some support heroes. Skaven seem weak against skinks, bloking their ways. It would be hard to kill monks, untill you kill screaming bell because of morale immunity. However, monks won't have their save against bastiladons, so you can try to kill them by sheer amount of firepower. Also avoid fighting monks in close combat with anything valuable, because they can cause damage after death. IIRC, any skaven unit can with ceratin spell, but monks are especially dangerous.

Catapults can snipe heroes with certain luck, but it can be also a waste because they have only a single shot. Always keep your heroes inside Look Out! range. If he won't leave enough units to guard them, you can teleport stegadon to tie them. With his alpha-skink move, he can charge it easily. If catapults are close to each other, you can tie them all at once.

Since battleplan is BftP, going second could be nice because monks won't reach you turn one, and catapults certainly would be too far away to reach anything but units at the border of your deployment zone, but monks can easily reach objectives at the middle. However, if you summon enough skinks and kill enough monks, you can take it back on your turn. The fact is, you don't want double turn from catapults and want it for yourself with lots of shooting.

MackiMac, Aginor and LizardWizard like this.
  16. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

I can’t believe it, I won! Thanks so much everyone for all great advice I got, could not have done it without you. I love this site even more now :)

Attached Files:

17. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

Blitzkriyg Well-Known Member

Congrats man, must be something in the air, I just came 3rd at the Australian Championship with thunderquake too!

Nart, Aginor and MackiMac like this.
  18. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

Thats amazing, congrats to you aswell then. :) What did your TQ list look like?

19. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

Blitzkriyg Well-Known Member

I ran

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Seraphon) [1980pts] ++

+ Leader +

Engine of the Gods [220pts]: 4. Light of Dracothian

Saurus Astrolith Bearer [160pts]

Slann Starmaster [260pts]: 3. Great Rememberer, General

+ Battleline +

Skinks [60pts]: 10 Skinks, Boltspitters and Star-bucklers

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Thunderquake Starhost [1060pts]
    . Bastiladon: Solar Engine
    . Bastiladon: Solar Engine
    . Engine of the Gods: 2. Ethereal Amulet
    . Hunting Pack
    . . Razordons: 3x Razordons
    . . Skink Handlers: 3 Skink Handlers

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Seraphon

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Realm of Origin +

Realm of Origin: Origin: Shyish

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spells [100pts]: Balewind Vortex, Chronomatic Cogs

++ Total: [1980pts] ++

I think I'm going to take it the balewind for another razordon though, those guys were taking down terrorgeists all weekend and while the 2 endless spells are good, you're not seeing the benefits of both until turn 3 and if you put the slann in cover, the reroll saves from the cogs I think is better than the +1 save from balewind, however dropping the cogs will give an extra 2 razordons instead of 1,so it's something I'll experiment with.

I'll probably do a full write up though tomorrow

MackiMac and Wilhelm Stürmer like this.
  20. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Good job, congrats to both of you!

MackiMac likes this.