1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Titans Paint Log

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Titans, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

Hey all,

New to the forum so i'll probably take a while to get used to formatting etc.

Short version: back to warhammer after more than a decade, giving it another try. Got the Seraphon start collecting box, pics of the models i'm working on below. Will likely be painting a carcharadons (space sharks) chapter as well.

Long version: used to paint and play LOTR, mostly evil armies such as uruk hai and goblins. Wasn't a bad painter, but lacked the finesse of modern painting (eg dollar store paints, rarely multiple layers of paint). Really enjoyed converting models too, though I never used green stuff. Painted a skaven battalion which was good fun, and started on a lizardmen battalion but life got in the way of doing much of it. I also had a few heroes such as kroq-gar and some chaos and beastmen heroes. Since then my main time sink has been WoW, i'm one of the top retribution paladins in the world! (Yes i've heard that the stormcast marines have Paladin Retributors grrrr). A mate started painting again and I found myself knee deep in tabs about 40k lore. I never painted 40k stuff so will be painting some astartes stuff (space sharks, minotaurs, and MAYBE imperial fists if I work up the courage to paint with yellow). However I will mostly be painting up a lizardmen army, and hopefully some nicer models when I feel ready. In terms of AoS I strongly dislike the Seraphon lore. I loved dinosaur warriors riding dinosaurs and aztech themed, but don't care for the 'star worshiping good demons' thing. That being said I do love every single saurus model (astrolith bearer aside) and will likely end up with all of them! I'll likely just ignore the new fluff though. Might dabble with some chaos warriors and exalted heroes, though dabbling in chaos rarely ends well. Anyways a lot has changed since last time, and it will be exciting to start these new projects with proper paints, washes , and online resources!

First/test model: Saurus Warrior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notes:
    • Struggled with drybrushing, will need to use less paint/pressure next time. Wide brush maybe? Unsure whether people highlight scales individually or achieve that affect through drybrushing.
    • Gold came out dark, might use griffin gold drybrush.
    • Colour scheme is an alternate one from pp. 57-59 of Painting Lizardmen pdf that's floating around.
    • Have no idea how to do basing.
    • Struggled with the ridges where gold bits connect to shield or flesh, that will likely take practice.
    • Crest looks good to me now but will undoubtedly be something I will think is terrible. Might try more subtle approach?
    • Will paint next 5 similarly and then reassess colour scheme.
    Would love feedback and/or criticism! Hand hasn't held a paintbrush in 13ish years, lots of practice to do. And mods feel free to move this thread if this isn't the right place for it! Cheers all.

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looks good so far.

Drybrushing, probably too much paint on your brush try removing more, you can do each scale individually but not needed.

Dark gold, shaded with Agrax earthshade?

Basing, PVA glue all over the base then dip it in play sand, let it dry paint it.

Titans, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  3. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Depending on how much time you want to spend you can highlight them all automatically, but drybrushing with a couple of different shades is actually going to give you a more natural looking result for scales because of the texture it will add.

Try doing a couple of passes with a mid blue and then lightening it up, and finally adding a very light final shade of the lightest blue...

To add to @Crowsfoot input regarding bases, if you dip in sand then make sure you let it dry properly and then seal it all over the base using another water thinned layer of PVA. This will stop it going to shit when you're painting it...

n810, Titans, Crowsfoot and 1 other person like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Good start!

Drybrushing requires a lot of practice. Just keep doing it, with very little paint on the brush. I usually brush over the back of my hand and if I almost don't see any paint it is the right amount to start. :)

Titans, Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  5. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

I used balthasar gold, shaded with aggrax earthshade, then drybrushed with gehennas gold. The guide I was using made it seem like the gehennas lining or drybrushing was much brighter than it was. I'm not opposed to it because aztec gold is a bit more burnished, but I think for future reference I might try lining it with griffon gold or something else lighter/more yellowy?

Definitely will learn from this! As soon as the brush went across the model I realised that I was committing to to much paint, hence the thigh being a different colour from the torso.

Itepixcauh, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Try using Sepia to wash instead of Agrax it will give you a warmer tone, drybrush with gehennas and then do a light drybrush with runefang steel or stormhost silver just try to catch the edges.

n810, Ritual and Titans like this.
  7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

A good effort sir. Whereabouts are you located? I run hobby tutorials at my local shop regularly

Ritual likes this.
  8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

"Struggled with drybrushing, will need to use less paint/pressure next time. Wide brush maybe? Unsure whether people highlight scales individually or achieve that affect through drybrushing."

Personally I usually go with a wide soft brush. (as wide as feasible.)
    and try an brush in a top to bottom like motion, because that is where the light would be.
    using a stiff brush with semi-dry pain will give a shaper highlight than a soft brush with mostly dry paint.
    Both can be good effects. Try mixing a little of the darker color in with the highlight color for an in between dry-brush layer.

Ps. here a Tutorial of sorts from my blog.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...r-wars-bounty-hunters.3032/page-16#post-85156

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Ritual, Titans and Aginor like this.
  9. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

Looking great for a start. Welcome back to the hobby, a lot of us where in the same position as you at some point.

Ritual and Titans like this.
  10. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

Just finished first half of the saurus warrs. Same colour scheme, but thinner coats. Used a wider brush for drybrushing which I think worked well. Definitely got impatient with some details and touch ups at the end.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just to break things up, I also painted a space marine (my first 40k model ever!), from the Minotaurs chapter. Gun still needs some work/touch ups, but happy with the way the armour turned out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Toltecatl, n810, Ritual and 4 others like this.
  11. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

They look great!

12. Aginor
    Slann

Nice texture. :)

13. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Welcome back! Just a couple pieces of general advice. First, don't be afraid to branch out and try new colors, etc. The new GW paints make things that were tough to get right 10 years ago a piece of cake. If you want to try Imperial Fists, then do it. Averland Sunset base paint should help. Second, get the Citadel Paint app on your phone or tablet. It's a great reference tool and also includes an inventory and wishlist feature so you know what you have and what you need.

Crowsfoot, Ritual and Aginor like this.
  14. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Those bases are looking awfully bare. We may need to correct that.

Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  15. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

I'm saving basing for the end!

... by which I mean I never did basing when I was younger and as such don't have the skillset. A bit intimidated by it aha, not sure where to start/whether the decisions will aesthetically be the right ones

Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  16. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I make bases and textue material, if you need help

Titans and Ritual like this.
  17. Toltecatl
    Razordon

Toltecatl Well-Known Member

Hey ! You managed to make these saurus pop out pretty well. Looking forward to seeing them complete with the bases done and what not :D
    Nice choice of chapter for the marine, you don't see minotaurs around that often :)

Titans likes this.
  18. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

Have mostly painted next batch of saurus, and clipped knights+carnosaur. Tried painting a 40k Carcharadons/space sharks dreadnought. Edge highlighting went surprisingly well, though I made it worse on the dark grey bits neat the end. Struggled with details on the middle plate. Happy with the black arms + edges, might paint the cold omes black with faint grey (or blue) drybrush.

The whole middle looked smooth as a light grey (like the leg plates) but then I painted it white and it looks terrible. I love the way white works but god damn I am struggling to get it right without it looking as sloppy as it does here. I want to fix it because when I paint a tactical squad I want them to have white helms.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tom ndege, Captaniser, Warden and 3 others like this.
  19. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Even in death he still serves

Titans likes this.
  20. Aginor
    Slann

So he's basically the exact opposite of Settra? :D

Titans, tom ndege and Lord-Marcus like this.