1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To all the slow painters out here!!!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Hey guys,

After seeing a similar thread over on Ulthuan.net, I decided we should try it out here. Here's a contest I propose. If you are a slow painter or someone that's been having problems finishing stuff up, read the next few lines.

1) This is a contest between painters. The goal is to paint your army at decent speed and standard and post the results here.

2) Format:
    - Every painter interested registers in this post by posting a reply.
    - One we agree on a starting date for the contest, you get to your modeling table and start building your miniatures to make sure that you'll be ready for the begining of the contest.
    - The day before the contest starts, every painter must take a picture of the units he plans on painting with a Lustria-Online tag with the date on it.
    - Every time you finish something, you must take pictures with the L-O tag and post it in this thread.
    - A point system will determine the overall winner of the contest, with a static point value beeing accorded for completed units.

3) Why do it? To keep your motivation up, to set yourself a deadline to finish a unit that's been waiting way too long on the painting table or just to have the bragging rights of being the fastest on the snail painters!!!!

I think it's an interresting challenge, a little bit like the 24 hours painting challenge but with the emphasis on long term endurance. If we can get a couple of painters to participate, we could even have some kind of forum reward if the moderators will allow it. I'll be waiting for your replies guys.

2. casper slok
    Skink

casper slok New Member

Sounds cool, but I need models, because I've been working on this mortal chaos things but they are almost all the same...

so started to do kroq-gar.. well he really is a pain!

I'll let you know later weater I'm in or not.

Gl,

Cas

3. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I think we could extend this to non-lizard armies. I think it's more about painting stuff up that what army your are painting :D.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting. But honestly, my motivation is so low I would have trouble even if I was signed up to this. All I have painted in the last month or two is a big rock for my first saurus unit filler, but with any luck that should be finished soonish and is looking decent so far. :)

5. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I'm definitely in I got lots to finish.
    I got temple guard to finish and wash, full steg
    half paint on 50 skinks.
    And tempted to buy the new slann model to replace the lackluster toad on a chair. (or at least spice him up)

6. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Hmmm....I may be interested in this as well. I need some motivation, but lately my lack of painting has just been due to not having enough time in the day.

7. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

It's cool to have people answering positively to this challenge.

As far as I'm concerned, I've had problems finding time for painting lately because high school teachers don't have that much spare time and when I do, I usually feel like doing something that will allow me to turn my brain off. That being said, I've realized lately that when I paint, I relax a lot more then I thought at first. Which is why I'm trying to find a way to motivate myself to paint more often, hence the challenge to the other painters on this board.

So far, people interested in participating:

- SeBM
    - Eladimir
    - Rokanos (maybe)
    - Casper Slok (maybe)

I think we could give people one more week to register/confirm their participation before we start the challenge. It would allow most people to assemble stuff and clean mould lines before the challenge starts.

8. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

One question I have is - what kind of time frame are we talking here? Don't want to put too much on my plate if I decide that I'm in. ;)

9. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I'd like to give people a reasonable time period to paint. This isn't so much about rushing a project then just giving people some extra motivation. I'd say we could start this next week and keep going until either the beginning or the end of april, giving us all at least 2 months to get something done.

Then again, the time period could be shorter/longer depending on what people want to experience. Post your preference so we can design a format that suits everyone!

10. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Considering I get maybe 1-2 hours of "free" time on days I work, a couple months would be great. If that ends up being the case, I am definitly in. Got a block of saurus and some TG I need to finish up.

11. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

Wow, I'm a bit envious that you managed to do that much in 2 months. Me? Nothing. I'm afraid I probably won't do this competition because it would just stress me out even more than I am already, even if I do find the actual painting relaxing it isn't worth it for me.

Sorry SeBM.

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

SeBM, put me in. I'll give it a go, and if I don't get anything done... Well, I haven't lost anything.

I won't set any specific goals yet, but I will be working on Lizardmen, Dark Eldar and 4 navies from Dystopian Wars hopefully. The latter two are in the post, LM are lined up on my table awaiting the brush.

13. Wildboar
    Skink

Wildboar New Member

Hey

Yeah sign me up too although some of you guys might have to explain to me how to post pictures (and put the L-O tag on!)

I have painted one skink out of my battalion box set haha. Its not even all assembled yet but would really be keen to give myself a kick up the arse!

Would be much appreciated.

Boar

14. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

Sign me in!

I'lle be doing Lizzies, IoB Skaven and Hordes Crocs

15. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Great to have so many people joining in, as I said, in the end, it doesn't matter how much you painted, you don't even have to pledge annything either, but we'll keep track of each others achievement and we'll crown a Master Snail Painter :D. Here's an updated list of participants:

- SeBM
    - Eladimir
    - Rokanos (maybe)
    - Casper Slok (maybe)
    - Strewart
    - Juhaaha
    - Wildboar

About the Lustria-Online tag, I should get my camera back soon and will post an example next week. Since we need an official starting date, but we don't want to rush people, I suggest we ''officially'' start next friday. This give people time to assemble/spray their models before the comepetition starts. Any objections??? And for sure, people are free to keep registering in the competition. I'll be posting point values for completed units soon so people can comment/discuss them before we start.

You should definitely post some pictures of your unit filler if you haven't already Strewart!

16. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

Ok,
    add me to the list as well. I will need someone to explain how to post a photo on this list - I am an idiot when it comes to these things - It is why I do not have an Avatar.

Hopping on the band wagon,
    Kaax Taat

17. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Great idea - count me in too please!!

i'll be working on:
    Steg (already base coated, but that's it)
    Slann
    20 Temple Guard
    38 Saurus Warriors
    24 Skinks
    16 Cold Ones & Riders. (6 Cold ones have already been basecoated though, ineligible?)
    and a Sally Hunting Party.

basically, a saurusload of stuff :)

18. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

This and im to lazy to upload and take photos all the time

19. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Updated the list of participants

- SeBM
    - Eladimir
    - Rokanos (maybe)
    - Casper Slok (maybe)
    - Strewart
    - Juhaaha
    - Wildboar
    - sevensevenare49
    - Kaax Taat

20. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Ok, here's a rough draft of the point system that will be used to update the weekly standing during the slow painter challenge:

- Rank and file units: 1 point/5 models
    - 20mm and 25mm based characters: 2 points/model
    - 40mm and 50mm based characters: 4 points/model
    - Cavalry: 2 points/5 models
    - 40mm monsters and war beasts: 2 points/model (I think terradons should go in that category)
    - Stegadon: 4 points
    - Unit fillers: 2 points

I think it covers pretty much everything. I think it's fair, for instance, completing a Slaan or a Carnosaur is worth as much points as completing 20 saurus. It's also very easy to keep track of. As for extra models from the rank and file category, you'll be able to keep the extra and combine them with another unit. For instance, if you paint 24 saurus warriors and 6 chameleon skinks, we'll consider 30 rank and file troops for a total of 6 points.

I'm open to any suggestions, as I said it's a rough draft, I'd really like to hear what you guys think about it.