1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To all the slow painters out here!!!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Boy oh boy!!! Don't even get me started on not painting when I should be... I've accumulated so many hours of SC2 in the past 2 weeks and lots of CoD Black Ops as well, that I haven't touched my brushes in 2 weeks... That'll have to change tomorrow!!!!

I'll post an update on the 5 warriors I'll be working on. It shouldn't be much since there is a hockey game on TV but it'll get me started once again.

It's time to pick up momentum!!!

2. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

I'm jealous! I bought SC2 but instead of reading the system requirements beforehand I found out the hard way that my computer was far outdated for that game (its almost 5 years old). Glad to see you're getting enjoyment out of it.

Hopefully I can start picking up the pace with ya sebm as my girlfriend and I plan to do some painting this week!

3. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

That's exactly the reason i don't buy PC games anymore - too much expense on upkeep of the PC (plus i'm retarded at installing stuff myself).

Motivation for building my Tyranid army has been crushed - my friend who was coming up from Sydney for the week now isn't, so I don't have to build an army to utterly destroy & devour his little yellow Tau. I did get a test arm (yes, just an arm) done last night though, so I'll post that one soon for public thumbs up/down on my potential livery.

So, don't know what I'm doing next. Most probably procrastinate.

Out of interest, how much would a character on normal sized mount (horse, cold one, spider, wolf etc) be worth? 3 points maybe? I've got a Liche Priest on horseback I tried to paint for a comp, but lost interest after the deadline came and went so I only finished the horse. Now he's just taking up room in my painting space.

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I say 3 points.

As for myself. I finally got something doe. While it's not worthy of an upgrade, I'm glad I did some painting and I will try to keep going for the next couple of days so I can finish 5 rank and file by the end of the week. I also primed 4 handlers and 1 salamander which I will be painting after I'm done with the 5 saurus warriors I started (it'll be a nice break from batch painting).

5. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

as promised earlier - test scheme for my Nids. what do you think? carapace is going to be black with silver stipled edges.
    P1030775.jpg

6. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

METALNIDS love it i gotta start paining my nids soon. If i get around to it but ye; know im kinda addicted to star-craft 2 at the moment and Ive got a new job so :S dont see that anytime soon lol

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow, I'd like to see a full nid in those colours. Looks good!

I have always been a big PC game fanboy, but more and more they are annoying me. An expensive full computer upgrade a few weeks ago is still giving me trouble, steam annoys the sh!t out of me, in fact DRM in general is just hoops for legit buyers to jump through while pirates simply skip it and play, support in general is going down for PC games as well. But then, I crack out the PC exclusive Total War series (Shogun 2 the latest, out yesterday) and remember why I love my PC.

Heh, I guess in a thread of notorious slow painters it was inevitable that we would get side tracked from the painting topic and start talking about other things. :p

8. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Thanks Josh & strewart, i decided after doing a different test paint i'll go with a darker variation of the red for a little more impact. I'm planning on getting at least 4 Hormagants done by tomorrow night.

9. Gomek
    Skink

Gomek New Member

Sounds right up my street- I've been working on my Lizards for over 7 years now, and still haven't finished my 2,500 competitive army. Although, I have but 2 skinks left, and some basing. I've been spurned on by an up-coming Campaign I have entered that imposes a 10% penalty on unfinished armies.

Sadly, I am now staring at 2,500 points of Orcs and Goblins which need painting. Sigh....

10. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

At first I was a little peeved about being punished for being unfinished in tournaments and such but it certianly does give motivation. Also unfort the Saurus Warrior I was painting as temple gaurds (and got points for in this contest) need to be WYSIWYG for the tourney so my painting time has been busy snapping off arms and making impromptu halberds.

11. asianjew44
    Jungle Swarm

asianjew44 New Member

:depressed: wish I had found this earlier! I just did 16 saurus and 15 skaven clanrats today! And now I cant even join in because im leaving for a vacation on saturday. Hope you guys are enjoying this totally awesome idea (kudos to SeBM for thinking of this).

P.S. nice paint scheme 49.

12. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Week 5 Points update! (i'm sure i did this earlier, but must have hit preview instead of submit - duh.)

Slow Painters Challenge - Week 5
    Viarca - 15 points (Skink Priest, Slann, Stegadon, 3 Skink Handlers, Salamander, 12 Saurus)
    Eladimir - 11.8 points (16 Saurus/Temple Guard, Stegadon, Skink Priest, 8 Skink Handlers & 5 command)
    Josh Ichimaru - 7 points (Slann, Skink Priest, 5 Saurus)
    Juhaaha - 6.4 points (Titan Gladiator, Master Tormentor, 2 Beastmen Gors)
    sevensevensare49 - 4.2 points (HE Swordmaster, Oxyotl, Chakax)
    strewart - 2 points (Unit Filler)
    SeBM - 0.2 points (Saurus Warrior)

No reason why you can't join now asianjew - we've had a few late entries and there's still 3 weeks to go! Just upload a pic of your work!

13. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

@ Strewart: OMG I love Total War! I only own Medieval Total War and loved playing until sadly one day the CD somehow became corrupted and I can no longer play :-(

14. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

well, thanks in no small part to this competition I am heading off to a doubles tourney today with some (not very well) painted minis that include: 63 clan rats, 6 rat Ogres, 2 Warp Lightning Cannons, 2 Poisoned Wind Mortars, a Warlock Engineer, a Warlord on Warlitter, and a BSB. I also have a new camera so pictures will follow soon.

Also, the entire Total War series is an absolute cracking game-design.

15. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

@novatomato: Good luck at the tournament! What do you mean cracking?

16. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

I believe that is another word for "splendid/awesome/badass/great/fantastic/superb/nice"..etc etc

it's just a more european way of saying it.

cheers! :D

note: - no i have no completed a single model yet, and i doubt i will :( work has been ridiculous

17. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Ah yes of course, thank you Rokanos. Oh and don't feel bad about not completeing anything, I'm in the same boat.

18. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

See rokanos, this is exactly why it's called the slow painter challenge!!!

As for myself, I've been slowly working on my first batch of 5 Saurus Warriors. When these guys are done, I plan on working on a salamander to give me a break from RnF troops. I must also clean some models and finish converting my remaining 7 chameleons.

19. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

I don't know if slow counts toward not having even picked up a paint brush yet...lol

20. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Some of us are just that slow :D.