1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To create a flying monster - my terradon log

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, May 3, 2010.

1. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I'm liking this idea! Can't wait to see a full unit of 'em!

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Another update, this bad boy has wings and a javelin arm! Plus a shot of some scales, but I think I need to work on my technique and find something that will be consistent for the whole unit... First two rows are small scales, very difficult, last row is large scales, easy but don't look as good. I need something in the middle. And to work in my GS skills in general, it keeps sticking to my fingers and tools.

Anyway, some photos!

terradonwip5.jpg

terradonwip6.jpg

Larger version of second pic

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Looks good. As far as the GS sticking to your fingers. I read somewhere that you could use olive oil on your fingers and it would not stick. Also, petroleum jelly.

Hope that helps.

4. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

I just dip my fingers and tools in water.....

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I use water as well, but for extended use the oil may work better. Another idea would be to get the basic for you want and let the GS harden some. Then you could touch it without it leaving finger prints.

6. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

water works best when working with green stuff oil makes everything too slippery to hold onto and makes sculpting difficult, especially on smaller models.

7. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

Wow Strew.. That looks amazing! Great conversion :D

8. Vulcan
    Skink

Vulcan New Member

I wasn't overly fond of the short neck myself. But with the wings it looks totally awesome! Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see the finished work!

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

My main concern with using oils and lubes is it can be hard to completely remove, and paint will not like it at all. I am currently using water, but my scultping tool is quite thin so it doesn't exactly get wet when I dip it.. I have found that scoring the surface of the model helps a bit, as the GS becomes more likely to stick to it than the tools. I guess I'll just have to keep playing around with it.

Cheers for the comments!

10. Patruck
    Skink

Patruck New Member

I've heard milliput works well, and there are different colors with different consistences so you can choose whats best for you. But I haven't got around to ordering any, and I can't seem to find it in any stores.

11. Exodite
    Skink

Exodite New Member

superfine white is the best to use tbh, but it's the same price as galeforcenine green stuff and you get the same ammount.

and heres a tip for you, lick your fingers and your moddeling tools saliva is awesome for it, doesn't taste as bad as citedel washes either :p