1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOP TEN Lists - This Week: Games Workshop Lizardmen/Seraphon models

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Sep 5, 2022.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Some honorable mentions:

LOTR Return of the King

Independence Day

First Blood

Taken

Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Taken was tempting, but fir First Blood i would have picked the final speech in the police station

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That final speech definitely has more depth and substance to it, but is ultimately too sad to make it in my (honourable mention) list. The one I chose is far more simplistic, but also more badass. It may not be better, but it is definitely more in line with my subjective taste.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  4. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Oooh... some nice ones on here. Gotta love that Viking Prayer and the Prayer to Crom.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Right, I'd better see what I can come up with for my list!

Part 1, because only being able to take a maximum of 5 media posts isn't entirely helpful for this sort of discussion:

1. Bilbo meets Smaug (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)

Bit of a cheat perhaps as it features exchange of words with Bilbo as well as Smaug voicing his thoughts aloud, but others have included speeches featuring interplay between characters as well (such as 300's "Spartans, what is your profession?" and, also one of my own selections, the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise), and given that Smaug (figuratively and literally) fills and dominates the scene with his presence, I'd take a harsh judge to disqualify it. A classic moment in the Hobbit novel brought to live excellently by the talented performances of Martin Freeman and in particular Benedict Cumberbatch, who gives the dragon both a larger-than-life ego and his sinister intelligence and menace.

2. The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise (Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith)
    Palpatine's illuminating monologue of the life and death of his Sith Master not only gives us great insight into the culture of the Sith in comparison to the Jedi, but is also instrumental in swaying Anakin's loyalty into the favour of the Dark Side of the Force.

3. I will have my Vengeance (Gladiator)

A classic moment from an all-time great, as the deeds of Joaquin Phoenix's pompous and egotistical Commodus come back to haunt him when he demands one of a group of gladiators take off his helm.

4. The Birth of the Galactic Empire (Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith)
    A short one given that the scene starts halfway through Palpatine's address to the Senate, but still one that resonates with me in particular as a landmark moment in the Star Wars story that echoes the history of Ancient Rome, as Palpatine weaves lies of a Jedi assassination attempt, proclaims himself dictator-for-life and proposes to change the divided Republic into a Galactic Empire under his sole effective rule, and, ignorant of the alarm bells this would normally ring, the Senate wildly applauses and welcomes the decline of the galaxy's freedoms in the hope of security after the tumult of the Clone Wars. It's the moment we really see things shift from the Republic era of the Prequels to the beginning of the Empire era that is to, in time, trigger the events of Rogue One and the Original Trilogy.

5. Adama's First Speech after the Cylon Attack (Battlestar Galactica 2004)
    In case you haven't seen it, the 2004 reimagining of Battlestar Galactica features a lot of speeches amidst the internecine brawls, battles against the Cylons and intrigue as to who is a Cylon infiltrator and who is not, and it's this one that sets the precedence of the whole series - it outlines the fight for survival that is to come as the survivors of Caprica flee to find the legendary 13th Colony after the Cylons return with a vengeance, and the unity, cooperation and grit that are required if it is to succeed. So say we all!

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Part 2:

6. For you are in Elysium (Gladiator)

Though the 'I'm Maximus Decimus Meridius' speech is more iconic, this one at the very beginning of the film, when Meridius rallies the Legionaries under his command to weather the storm against an oncoming horde of Ancient Germans, is both inspiring and has a touch of morbidity, sharing the belief owned by Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's Jem'Hadar, that rather than fighting to avoid being killed and to stay alive, each man in the Legion is already dead, and has to fight to earn their right to live.

7. Bilbo's Home speech (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)

As a homebody rather like Bilbo, this one I suppose is more of a personal motivator than a widely-recognised speech of greatness, but it excellently personifies the impulse that prompted Bilbo to change his mind, what convinced him to join the Dwarves in their quest in the first place where previously he had had his heart set on staying at home and ignorant of the plights of the world around him. Not only that, but it also sparks the beginning of a change in Thorin's perceptions of Bilbo, as, along with Bilbo's courage in saving his life against Azog, he comes to realise that while Bilbo may be a homebody, that by no means makes him a coward or a liability.

8. I Bid you Stand, Men of the West! (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King)
    I couldn't fail to include this one as a Middle-Earth fan, though in recent years it's gone down in my ratings because it contributes to the theme of humanity being the main focus of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, something which you all know irks me. But I still can't deny it is a good speech, which is why it still makes it on this list.

9. Hoist the Colours (Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End)

One of the better scenes from this mixed third film in the Pirates franchise sees Elizabeth make use of her nomination as King (or should that be Queen?) of the Pirates to unite the previously fractious pirate captains and inspire them to fight one last battle as a united front against the seemingly unstoppable might of the East India Company and the Flying Dutchman.

10. Neville's Defiance (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2)

Neville Longbottom, a character continually mocked as a bumbling incompetent throughout most of the previous films, finally gets his chance to show his true colours as he speaks out against the cruelty and oppression of Voldemort and the Death Eaters, an act that shows that even the humblest of us can gain charisma and inspire others, if we only seek to embrace courage over cowardice.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

[​IMG]

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Topic #16 - Top Ten MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) characters

It's been a while since we did one of these, so let's start it up with an easy and straight forward one. For the purposes of your lists, consider the characters as they were presented and portrayed in the MCU specifically; disregarding other versions of the characters that you may have seen in comic books or cartoons, etc..

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Rocket Raccoon
    2. Iron Man / Tony Stark
    3. Starlord
    4. Thanos
    5. Loki
    6. Captain America
    7. Thor
    8. Drax
    9. Hulk
    10. Groot

Honourable mentions: Mantis, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nebula, Yondu, T'Challa, Nick Fury

Just A Skink likes this.
  9. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

1. Iron Man - "Yeah, I can fly"
    2. Captain America - "Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"
    3. Thor - "Bring me Thanos!"
    I have to give my top spots to the big 3. RDJ, Evans & Hemsworth really nail their performances and pretty much become those characters.
    4. Thanos
    5. Loki
    Did someone call for Thanos? The best bad guys in the MCU. I was tempted to put Loki higher just because of how much I like Hiddleston's performance. But, thanks to very good motion/facial capture and a great performance from Brolin, Thanos is menacing and riveting.
    6. Spider-Man
    I could/should probably put Spidey higher. I actually like Holland's performance and the character's relationship with Tony Stark.
    7. Daredevil (Netflix)
    8. Hulk
    The Hulk had trouble with his own movies, but Hulk in the Avengers (and maybe later in Thor: Ragnarok) is pretty solid.
    9. Rocket Raccoon
    10. Starlord
    Guardians was an okay set of movies for me, with the first one being the best. Cooper as Rocket and Pratt as Starlord are great.

Honorables: Black Widow, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Groot, Drax

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I had the same dilemma. Those two are both fantastic.

Just A Skink likes this.
  11. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Yes. They're really the main villains in the MCU; at least Thanos. I guess Ultron is a decent bad guy, but also oddly "human". I didn't like MCU Ultron as much as I like some of his animated versions, even if he's more traditionally over-the-top in cartoons.

As more honorable mentions, I really like early Nick Fury and Agent Coulson, and how they weave into the post-credit scenes. Man, those first movies were really good!

I know Rocket was much lower on my list, but he is a great choice for your top pick. A fun, sarcastic and cocky character with nice little windows into his real feelings.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

He's got one of the best character arcs in the series and spans the full range of the emotional spectrum. He is by far my number one choice and a knew nothing about the character prior to being introduced to him through the MCU.

Ultron in the MCU never really did it for me. That movie just didn't land as well as some of the others, IMHO. On the flip side, Thanos stole the show in Infinity War, which happens to be my favourite MCU film.

Just A Skink likes this.
  13. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

To swipe from you...
    [​IMG]

Yes. Thanos is a well-teased, well-developed, and layered villain. I think Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU film, although Civil War has some great character work between Cap and Tony. But Infinity War is an awesome MCU film. End Game was okay, but it wasn't nearly as strong as Infinity War.

I would like to think that Dr. Doom could be another Thanos (if the MCU goes that route), but I really don't feel confident that Marvel can pull it off again. The new crop of movies/streaming has been rather weak and has oversaturated things.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Both great films. Perhaps we'll have to do a top ten list for MCU movies.

Agreed. It was largely pretty solid, but with a few really bad elements.

Sadly, I think Marvel is pretty much dead in the water. Besides Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3, I haven't watched a single MCU movie in the theater since Endgame.

Just A Skink likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I dare to say that the MCU died with Endgame, even before the heavy drop in quality.
    1) Normal customers were beginning to be tired of the whole "you need to watch multiple movies to understand everything it's happening"
    2) entertainment lives by cycles. Superheroes had theirs
    3) Endgame was pretty much the conclusion of a big narrative arc. What was needed to be said was said. Everything after that was just dragging along the whole thing

Just A Skink likes this.
  16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Sorry lads, but count me out of this one, not a fan of the MCU and certainly couldn't list a Top 10.

17. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

You haven't watched (or enjoyed) any of the MCU movies? :confused:

18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Only the first two Thor films (and entirely for the Norse Mythology references). They were decent, but not anywhere near my favourite films, and I doubt I could make a passion-driven Top 10 for them.

The later two Thor films really became more and more superhero-oriented so I really lost much of my original interest through those, and none of the other MCU characters are of any interest.

To be fair, I'm not interested in any of the DC movies either, Superhero films really just aren't my thing.

Just A Skink likes this.
  19. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Understood. I've kind of gleaned that you're much more of a fantasy/mythology fan, so I wasn't sure.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Fair points. Although, you did miss one... we have an entire thread dedicated to it!

I guessed that this one would not be your cup of tea.

It's the law of opposites... if I enjoy something, @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl cannot (and vice versa).

Those were two of the weaker MCU movies.

Just A Skink likes this.