1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troglodon color concept

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Just A Skink, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I'm toying with a troglodon color concept based loosely on "otachi", one of the kaiju from the movie Pacific Rim, and kind of the movie Avatar. I'm thinking either that the troglodon is from the realm of Ulgu, or since it's a cave creature it's naturally bioluminescent. I didn't want to make the model totally monochromatic, so I went with a green/blue/violet sheme. Dark colors would make the bioluminescence pop more. However, I can see this being VERY tedious to paint... and perhaps out of my skill range.

Regardless, what do you think? And what Citadel paints would you recommend to match this?

Thanks!

IMG_7881_test2.jpg
    [​IMG]

Sanx, Warden, Lium and 4 others like this.
  2. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

"Out of my skill range" is where you find the room to improve. If this is what you want to do, I think you should challenge yourself to do it :)

It's a cool idea, so I'd love to see how it ends up looking.

LizardWizard and Just A Skink like this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Cool idea. No clue how to achieve that though.

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. Ryanj4043
    Cold One

Ryanj4043 Well-Known Member

Love the idea and the movie and while i'm not master painter and would love to help with colours. I should also preface this with im R/G colour blind so just feel free to ignore the bits i get wrong.
    For the bioluminescence blues i think lothren blue and white will work, alteratively some Macragge blue and more white paint and you can get those light colours.
    The dark blue on the top maybe night lords blue with some black paint to darken it up. Allteratively a dark purple, that i'm really not sure on.
    The Top bluy green i'm gonna say im not sure, some mix maybe best, so maybe not any citadel paints for that bit if your mixing it. The bottom green i think castellan green base for the darker areas and then maybe Skarsnik Green to light up the raised bits.
    The claws are great as just black IMO. Makes it more terrifying. Hope this helps.

Warden, Aginor, Imrahil and 1 other person like this.
  5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Great suggestions. Thank you @Ryanj4043

Warden and Ryanj4043 like this.
  6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

What an awesome idea!!! go for it ;)

I agree with @Ryanj4043.

For applying the bioluminescent colors you could look at some of the Lava tutorials as I think it would work exactly like that.

Good luck/

Just A Skink and Ryanj4043 like this.
  7. emptyscale
    Saurus

emptyscale Active Member

One quick and easy way to get your bio-luminescence bits is to paint the model dark like you are planning, then paint the luminous bits in bright silvers, then add soulstone blue over it or a blue glaze. It should shine up under flash photography. Might be an idea to paint a small test model first though.

Just A Skink, Ryanj4043 and Imrahil like this.
  8. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

That's a really interesting idea @emptyscale. I know a similar look can even be achieved with with Contrast paints. Thanks!

Ryanj4043 and emptyscale like this.
  9. emptyscale
    Saurus

emptyscale Active Member

10. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Warden likes this.
  11. emptyscale
    Saurus

emptyscale Active Member

I've had a lot of fun messing around with them. For Fantasy stuff I've decided to use them for magic stuff so they get put on wizardy things and used extensively on daemons. In 40k they've been used for psyker stuff and plasma weapons and for Zombicide an Elvis impersonator's suit. They can be pretty stunning and they are fairly easy to paint with (sadly I don't get to have an airbrush) they love larger curved surfaces. Flash photos normally make them pick a side on which colour they'll display and then they'll look like a metallic of it.

I sort of ordered them while I was bored and drunk and then had a lot of fun making up projects to try and get my money's worth out of them, like what happens if you add a green glaze to parts of a green/purple and a purple wash to other bits, what happens if you pour some Nurgle's rot over the top, or paint them over a layer of Blood for the Blood God. Good investment if you like painting and messing around, or if you have a clear project for them.

12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That color scheme looks great!

I would eyeball it to get as close as possible. The charts I use to find paint are either apple barrel from Walmart/crafts stores, and if I am looking for a GW-esque paint I go for the paint compatibility chart over on dakkadakka.

Doing the light-blue-electric coloration on the scales would look awesome!

Imrahil and Just A Skink like this.
  13. Sanx
    Skink

Sanx Member

I would like to make a try, once I finish what I'm currently painting

Just A Skink likes this.