1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Two 2k lists for game night tomorrow night

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by dbgoldberg323, Jul 13, 2018.

1. dbgoldberg323
    Jungle Swarm

dbgoldberg323 New Member

So I've been toying with two lists I want to use at game night and I may very well use both depending on time constraints. The first one is a "casual" list I'd be happy to use against anyone, and the second one is a combo-based list that's kind of a one-trick pony and one of those "ask before you use it" types of list. FYI I do not own any Trogs, Rippers, Carnosaurs, Razordons, (in fact I don't own Kroak but I'm proxying with my normal Slann) but I do have two Bastiladons, three Kroxigors, Saurus Knights, and more Skinks and Saurus Warriors if list suggestions come up.

Also a disclaimer, before you read the second list please note that I'm not trying to start any arguments; it's just my interpretation of how the rules work together. There are various threads confirming it that I've seen both in this forum and in the Seraphon facebook group.

First up, my more casual list:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster
    - Artefact: Greenglade Flask
    Engine of the Gods
    - Artefact: Wand of Restoration
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer
    Saurus Eternity Warden
    Skink Priest
    - Priestly Trappings

Battleline
    10 x Saurus Guard
    5 x Saurus Guard
    5 x Saurus Guard
    40 x Saurus Warriors
    - Clubs

Units
    3 x Salamanders
    3 x Skink Handlers

Battalions
    Eternal Starhost

Endless Spells
    Emerald Lifeswarm

Total: 1950 / 2000 (2 Command Points total before the game starts)

So the idea here is pretty simple. The 10-man Saurus Guard unit do their jobs and guard maybe a central objective but also the back-line characters (including a nearby Eternity Warden), and the other two units of five can either stay close for buffs or go hunker down on objectives as well. As an aside, I personally think Guard are great at doing just that (especially in the Eternal Starhost battalion) because having a re-rollable 2+ save and getting to do D3 damage instead of one means that if they are shot at and/or charged they should be pretty resilient and annoying to remove. At least more resilient than some skinks despite the obvious price difference. And hey, the Guard pack a punch, again, especially when charged.

Anyway there's also a nice big block of 40 Saurus Warriors for that +1 attack and +1 to hit bonus, as well as 3 Salamanders backed by handlers to tear wounds off of big nasties. The list has the Slann/Engine/Astrolith summoning trinity so ideally I should be able to pump out units like Skinks or even cooler things depending on how the game is going. Why did I choose Ghyran, all the healing artefacts, and the Emerald Lifeswarm? Because I'm worried now for the life of my Slann after playing this Death player that had some artefact that did a mortal wound to him automatically every turn just because. Now my Slann should be pretty durable. Otherwise, this list has like 3-4 layers of "re-roll failed saving throws for units within X inches" so needless to say that makes everything that much more durable.

-----

And here's the second, more combo-oriented list. This one focuses on the rather OP combo of Kroak, Umbral Spell Portal, Chronomantic Cogs, and multiple Astrolith Bearers. Again, I'm not trying to cause any arguments or come off as being "that guy". This is meant for the more competitive games with my friends that prefer that style of game based off of info that I learned here and in the FB group. I would never ever surprise someone with a list like this without making sure they fully understood what it was capable of beforehand.

Combo/competitive list:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
    Lord Kroak (450)
    - General
    - Allies
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    - Artefact: Wand of Restoration
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    Saurus Eternity Warden (140)
    - Artefact: Ghyrstrike
    Skink Priest (80)
    - Priestly Trappings
    Skink Priest (80)
    - Priestly Trappings

Battleline
    10 x Saurus Guard (180)
    5 x Saurus Guard (90)
    5 x Saurus Guard (90)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

Units
    3 x Salamanders (120)
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)

Battalions
    Eternal Starhost (150)

Endless Spells
    Chronomantic Cogs (60)
    Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000

So yeah, I know, the groan-inducing mortal wound engine. It's 3D3 Mortal Wounds to what will likely be your opponent's entire army plus D3 or maybe even D6 units take a further D3 Mortal Wounds, and that's every single Battle Round. Yup, it's broke and maybe a little over the top. But of course it has weaknesses and can be shut down with dispells/unbinds rather easily.

For those unaware, this is how it's supposed to work. The Portals make it so the range of Kroak's Celestial Deliverance spells are measured from the portal that you placed all the way out near your opponent's army, rather than just from Kroak. The two Astrolith Bearers grant Kroak a +2 to cast his spells and if they are successfully cast they get +16" to the range, thus Celestial Deliverance can be cast on the roll of a 5, 6, and 7 with a minimum range of 19" from the furthest Umbral Spell Portal from Kroak (38" total diameter). The Seraphon Allegiance Ability says if a Slann successfully casts a spell on a 10+, it gets +6" to its range. So, if you happen to cast Celestial Deliverance on an 8+ each time including the first (remember he gets +2 from the two Astrolith Bearers), the maximum potential range can be a whopping 40" form the portal or 80" diameter (16" from two Astrolith Bearers + 6" from casting on an 8+ + 18" from getting three 6's on 3D6 equaling 18).

The Cogs just grant you an additional spell every turn which is for casting Comet's Call or even Mystic Shield (or is super helpful for recasting one of the two Endless Spells in case they were dispelled which will be a little more difficult when your casting rolls are 2 higher than they would normally be, so for example if you roll an 8 your casting roll is a 10, etc).

Then on top of all of that there's the Eternal Starhost (to protect the mortal wound engine, see the first list for ideas), plus some Skinks and Slamanders to be an annoying speed bump. The point of the list is to just melt everything away with Mortal Wounds, but as you can clearly see, some clever dispells/unbindings can cause this list some problems, and of course the mortal wounds don't do much to horde armies that won't care that their blocks of 30-40 lost 6 minis (on average) each turn.

-----

So there you go. two drastically different lists for two drastically different types of games. What do you guys think? Anything I can do to make the lists a little more consistent or am I missing things? I'm relatively new to Age of Sigmar so I may very well be missing some concepts that may drastically affect these lists, and I'm sure you can tell that I have no concept of the general AoS meta. Any advice or suggestions are welcome for either list!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think both may work well.
    Just remember to try and snipe the mortal wound sources, then your Guard will block/kill most of the rest with ease.

dbgoldberg323 likes this.
  3. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

Wait Astrolith +1 Casting and extra range stack?

4. dbgoldberg323
    Jungle Swarm

dbgoldberg323 New Member

I believe they do. I haven't found any "rule of one" anywhere like there used to be. I read the rules, GHB'18, and relevant FAQs and didn't see anything saying they don't. Of course, if there is a rule somewhere saying that and I've missed it, please point it out!

5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Unless stated otherwise abilities stack, so yeah, that should work.

dbgoldberg323 likes this.