1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unit fillers

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Dec 13, 2010.

1. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I've seen a lot of people use unit fillers instead of buying extra regimental boxes. I've seen some incredible ones and I must admit that I've been thinking of exploring that option. Has anyone seen any nice looking unit fillers for lizards??? Any ideas???

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

About the only one I have seen is a saurus unit with a large stone at the back of it which they were worshipping. It looked good, but don't have a link.

I have also seen people simply get a double sized base (in the case of saurus - 50x50mm) so it takes the space of 4 models, but only gluing 3 to it. That can look good if you pose them differently, and essentially it is the number of bases that need to be counted not number of heads.

3. guitarhero
    Saurus

guitarhero New Member

would that be tournament legal?

4. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

Unit fillers are allowed in every tournament I think. I am planning puttin 5th ed. cold ones on large monster base and use as filler in saurus unit, since SCOR is bad these days.

5. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I've been thinking of finding a use for my spare stegadon's head, might end up using itas a unit filler of some sort. An idol/totem representing an old one might just work as a unit filler. Now, I've been thinking of a filler representing 4 saurus, does 6 or 8 seems too much?

For those of you wondering about unit fillers, search this thread, that HE player has 3 REALLY nice unit fillers in his 2250 pts army.
    http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265&start=0

Keep the suggestions coming guys!

6. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

I am working on this unit filler for TG. I would like to put some jaguars or panthers to accompany the drummer (but had no luck at finding any).

TGFiller02.jpg
    TGFiller01.jpg

(COR as unit filler sounds good ;)).

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow thats a really cool unit filler in the White Lion unit! Probably best filler I have seen.

This topic has got me thinking about fillers again, I have the scar vet model with sword and shield on foot but I'm pretty sure I will never use him in battle. IF I used a foot scar vet I could just use my Chakax model. So I plan to build up a 50mm base with some rocks and a bit of jungle theme and put him on it, will stand out and fill up 4 saurus spots plus should look decent as a display model.

Next idea I have is to make an altar in the middle of your unit, with a saurus or even a skink sacrificing something. That could look really good if done well.

The idea to incorporate a spare steg head into a filler is a good one, I'd be interested to see how that came out. I have a few spare steg heads. Might need to get myself a set of large bases to play around with.

8. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Yeah I really like it as well and I think that it's a very nice way of using bitz and at the same time, save some money haha. I also like the 2 unit fillers he made for the Sea Guards.

I've been browsing a lot of forums of other armies (Ulthuan.net and The Herdstone have 2 very active painting forums where you can get TONS of ideas) and this is what got me thinking about unit fillers.

Using the snake parts from the SCoC could be an easy way to make fillers, but I don't think they would look that nice. About the Stegadon's head, I have yet to find a nice way to make it a filler. Maybe make it a trophy or some kind of idol...

I'm still on the lookout for great ideas, keep them coming if you have any!!!

9. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

@ Lazoxoatl: That's a nice unit filler idea you got there! I really like the base you made for it. How about using the snake parts from the SCoC sprues to accompany the drummer?

And when you said COR, did you mean saurus cavalry??? I'm using some in my army so it would get confusing.

Thanks for sharing your idea and share more if you ever think about something nice like that again!

10. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I have actually considered using two or three cold ones to make a chariot with a chief with war spear (to proxy as an additional stegadon). Just an idea at this point though.

11. Daneish
    Cold One

Daneish New Member

I have been thinking a lot about this at the moment. What I think I am going to do is bring the terrain into the unit, so on bases I will be having moss covered rocks and trees in the unit. I am hoping it will create the effect of my army advancing through the jungle. Skinks on branches and hiding in the thick bush.

Wether or not I will be able to pull this off is another thing entirely.

12. guitarhero
    Saurus

guitarhero New Member

So it would be okay (and tournament legal) to throw a krox in the middle of a saurus unit as a unit filler?

edit: obviously their bases don't line up, but I was thinking of putting a couple extra krox models I have on a 50x50 base so it would.

13. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

@ Arli: I consider you idea more as a count as then a unit filler properly speaking. That being said, I still think it's a brilliant idea and would love to see the results if you ever end up exploring the avenue.

@ Daneish: It's a really neat idea. I've seen something similar in a beastmen army and it looked very very good. I'll try to find the link so you can see it yourself, might give you ideas.

@ Guitarhero: The answer is yes. Although I would personnaly try to choose something different as to not confuse my opponent, this is exactly the idea behind unit fillers. The important thing is to have bases that will match though.

14. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

15. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Here is a pretty simple one that was used for a Lizardmen army:

DSC00849.jpg

Mine will be pretty similar. Another unit filler that you could try (I've been thinking about giving it a go) is to make small spawning pools in the middle of your units with the Lizardmen coming out of it. Just a simple spawning pool like the ones in this thread:

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/lizardmen-battlefield-terrain.4574/

16. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

Best I have seen was in the skaven web sight using rats and lots of rubble each large base a diorama

17. Daneish
    Cold One

Daneish New Member

Some of those Beastmen ones were really good. Thanks for the link.

I think for me the reason I want to do jungle as a unit filler is that I want to emphasise that my army is at ease moving through there natural enviroment, sort of like they are part of the jungle.

I have never tried anything like this before so it could go shambolically wrong.

One of the sources for my inspiration was this http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36486.0

I really like the way that the spearmen are advancing through the rubble.

18. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

@Elmquasmash: Yeah, a piece of ruined temple terrain is a good idea also. Thanks for sharing this!

@Daneish: I understand what you mean Daneish and after seeing those Empire fillers, all I can say is go for it and let us know how it went!!!

19. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Man, those unit fillers on the herdstone look really nice. I hope to aspire to something like that someday...

20. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

well in my holidays im going to try and do some saurus unit fillers.
    first of all going to do a 50x50 or 75x50 base saurus box of weapons. its going to look like a chest with left over weapons from batallion :) IMHO it should look prity good.