1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unit fillers

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Dec 13, 2010.

1. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

@ Elmquasmash: That spawning pool idea is quite good, my only fear is that it would be a HUGE filler!!!!

@ Walgis: It's a very interesting idea, let us know how it turns out!

2. Sao
    Cold One

Sao New Member

My view on the spawning pools would to have a few little ones. Like 2/3 bases puttied together. Would like to see what it would look like. Might have to have a go in the future. Would take a bit of work.

Lloyd

3. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Well, the spawning pool could just be maybe a 6 base fill which wouldn't be all that big. I mean the one in the link was larger but you could make one however big you need it ;) Mind you my skills would keep it from looking anywhere as nice!

I think my favorite unit fillers for the army would def. have to be pieces of broken temple/stones. You could maybe try some jungle terrain in your units but painting some sanded styrofoam to look like part of a pyramid sounds 'cooler' looking to me :D

4. Daneish
    Cold One

Daneish New Member

I also think that spawning pools would be a bit to big for unit fillers as I imagine they would be the size of at least two ranks of the unit type they are in, but that is just my opinion and I am very new to lizards so what do I know.

5. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

@ Everyone: Thanks for sharing all those ideas, keep them coming!

@ Elmquasmash: Your idea is excellent, might just be too hard to pull off for a unit of 20 Saurus warriors. In a bigger unit, it would most definitely look awesome!

6. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Yeah, I was thinking of that myself. But I guess in a larger battle (2k points and above) You may have larger blocks of saurus. A Spawning pool unit filler would do very nicely in the middle of a 40+ unit :D Maybe i'll put one together after I deal with all my poor little Converted Cold Ones waiting to be finished :/

7. Daneish
    Cold One

Daneish New Member

Ok so I feel slightly bad for a bit of threadromancy but I come bearing photos. Now this is still a very early wip and is my first use of green stuff and other such things so it is a long way from perfect but here they are as I have chatted about them in theory I figured it was time to start some actual work.

Let me know what you think as I could use all the advice I can get.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Attached Files:

8. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

That is a cool looking unit filler in the making. I think that you should try to make the tree more jungle looking, add some vegetation to the base and maybe add some snakes frome the SCoC sprues and it would look really good!

On a side note, I came up with an idea of my own for my 1st unit filler and I started working on it but it's been a bit delayed by the making of movement trays and the assembly of all the Island of Blood models I got at Christmas :p.

Keep us updated with more pictures as your work progress and I'll make sure to post some of my own as soon as I have something to show.

9. Daneish
    Cold One

Daneish New Member

The plan is for some leaves and then the base will be covered in an aquarium plant that I am using to tie all of my units together via the foliage theme I spoke of earlier.

Will certainly keep you guys posted thoughadvancement may be slow as I have 20 skinks to paint before I get to the treat that is the unit filler.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I'd probably try to get 2, maybe 3 skinks into that tree. Its filling the space of 4 models so you are still saving, just makes it look a bit more interesting than only having the 1. Also definitely a lot more vegetation on it, but yes it looks good so far!

11. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

All,

This topic got me thinking about Unit Fillers... I had some stuff laying around and set to work on it. It also helps me to up my unit size from 20 strong to 24, that will help with my spears. Take a look and let me know what you think. I still need to touch up the lizards, add a shield, and green stuff some vines on the base so it's about 85% done. Enjoy!

394432726.jpg

394432727.jpg

394432732.jpg

394432733.jpg

394432736.jpg

394432737.jpg

12. Daneish
    Cold One

Daneish New Member

I really like it iggy. It sits really well with the rest of the unit.

13. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

That is a really nice unit filler!!! Once I finish painting my 20 strong spear saurus, I'll be finishing my own unit filler which will count as 6 models (3x2) in order to bring the unit up to 25. I can only hope it looks half as good as yours.

Really nice painting for a filler and very creative use of bitz!

14. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Looks good!

I have some 50mm bases in the post on the way to me since I had none spare, when they show up I will begin my own. Looking forward to it, this thread has been great inspiration!

15. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Hey thanks for the compliments. I should have it fully completed this afternoon so I'll post a final pic with the vines, shield, etc.

@strewart: I agree. This topic has genereated tons of inspiration for me. I am pleased with the way it came out.

Iggy

16. Daneish
    Cold One

Daneish New Member

I am going to leave it as one for the time being as after I have painted it I am going to foliage it up and don't want to over crowd it.

17. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

That is a really nice one Iggy.

18. peacemaker1987
    Skink

peacemaker1987 New Member

I was thinking of making a big Plaque out of greenstuff or something to use as a unit filler for my temple guard. I figured it would be kinda cool to have it with the TG and slann as it could be like they were taking it to war to fulfill the old ones plans.