1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. unit with character on the side gets flank-charged...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by miturian, May 19, 2015.

1. miturian
    Saurus

miturian Member

so, if a character is standing on the side of a unit because he doesn't fit in the first rank, and the unit is charged in the flank, how many models count as being in base contact? we are told elsewhere to use some common sense (ie to imagine the chargers just surging forward until they touch), but at least one rank and file model is going to "blocked" by the character. Is he in b2b with the attackers? last night we played it as if only the character was in b2b, since at least the guy in the second row (we are talking about an old blood on foot next to a skink unit) couldn't really move, but reading the BRB today I see that was probably not correct.
    to be clear, the brb is only talks of "incomplete ranks", and assumes that all models have the same base size.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I think they are supposed to rank like this....

sssssO
    sssss
    sssss

so after a charge it would be like this?

sssssOEEEEE
    sssss...EEEEE <===
    sssss...EEEEE

3. miturian
    Saurus

miturian Member

yes, indeed. But, the top of the O is supposed to align with the top of the s's, such that the rightmost s in the second row is partially shielded by the O.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I thought that character with unlike bases where forced to form up on a flank..?

5. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

You are correct, they do form up on the flank like you described, but the depth of the oldbloods base will partially cover the flank of the skink in the 2nd row, this is where his question comes up. The answer is that you are considered to be in btb with any model across the empty space that your base aligns with, there is no need to actually be able to move into btb contact. So if one unit got charged on both flanks and had a single model in the back rank to one side although it could not ever be considered in actual btb contact with the opposite flank it is still allowed to attack and be attacked by them.

6. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

Just for clarification then.....how does this affect spells or abilities which effect models in B2B? For instance the Skaven's Abom or Furnace fume tests? Is it the actual models in contact or would it be the 'technical' models in contact?

7. miturian
    Saurus

miturian Member

I think it would be the technical models

8. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Its a tricky one as the rules dont cover partially obscured models in combat so I think you just have to use your best judgement and agree with your opponent. If you are setting up like that you can bring it up before the game starts. You could say that if the model is physically blocked from closing ranks then it doesnt count a base to base, but my gaming group came across this issue before and we agreed if less than half the model was obscured it could attack and be attacked.