1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unskilled painter, need suggestions for Bastiladon

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Gonzoyola, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Gonzoyola
    Jungle Swarm

Gonzoyola New Member

Hello everyone! Let me start by saying that this is my first post, although I've found these forums to be extremely helpful during my short time lurking here. With that said, I have been into Warhammer for a few years now, but it was always more from the gaming aspect rather than the hobbying, as at the time I couldn't support buying all of the paints and what not that I would need. With the new Lizardmen book, I took the opportunity to jump head first into painting an army as I put it together. So far I have had a blast, but I have purposefully stayed away from doing much more than base coats at the moment to make sure I know what I'm doing.

One of my biggest concerns at the moment is the Bastiladon. I have seen so many cool looking ways of painting his armor plates, most of them having that "super heated", I guess I would call it, paint style. This has left me really wanting to research how to get that kind of effect, but as a fledgling hobbyist, I'm afraid I don't quite know which resources are good and which ones should be taken with a grain of salt.

I guess to sum this all up, I'm looking for an effective, yet not extremely advanced, technique for painting my Bastiladon's armor plates. Any Ideas at all are welcome, even if they don't achieve the same effect that I'm looking for, as if it seems too difficult, I could also use some other ideas to fall back on.

Thanks in advance, truly, for any help this great community can provide.

2. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

Most of those effects are done with an airbrush, which isn't an actual painting method but is plain cheating, just like dipping. :p

Just kidding. The only thing I have against airbrushes is that I don't have one.

Perhaps you could try dapping paint on the Bastiladon with a dry sponge or something, could give some interesting effects (more finishing touches would be needed though).

3. lizardmek
    Saurus

lizardmek New Member

Most of the painting of my lazerdons I started with yes a air brushing but what made it work was the several layers of washes i used after the airbrushing which bleanded it all togther.

but I think you could still achieve a smilular result with dry brushing and the using layers of light washes to make it blend

4. lizardmek
    Saurus

lizardmek New Member

Remember inks and washes are the lizardmans friend

5. lbisson
    Cold One

lbisson New Member

The "Super Heated" look is actually really easy to pull off with just a dry brush. If you read the Paint Spatter in the last White Dwarf it shows how to pull it off. I did that and it worked great. I'll post some pics of it when I get my base and Solar Engine painted.

6. Bon ban
    Skink

Bon ban New Member

I tried the same drybrushing as was used in paint splatter; but I used necron abyss instead of abaddon black and a blue wave pattern building up to white. I then painted the skink lothern blue then glazing with with guilliman's blue.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

hmmm sponge painting it might be interesting... and fairly easy way to get some burnt looking paterns.

8. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

I will start off by saying I'm no great painter myself and a very slow one at that. However, I can confidently say that I have improved a lot since my first few models. What I'm trying to say is try out some different things. Pick out some colors that you like and start applying paint to model and see how things turn out. Experiment a bit. Your first few models won't be spectacular but as the old saying goes, "practice makes perfect." Also, google some images of a color wheel so you have an idea of which colors compliment each other. And lastly, take a look at the below link for, what I think, is an outstanding and immensely helpful guide for painters of all levels.

Thank n810 for this one as he is the one responsible for my finding of this site:

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/