1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading the good old Slann

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Bentistos, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Bentistos
    Saurus

Bentistos New Member

I have this old Slann with the Temple Guards bearing him and I thought about converting him to a more "modern" floating version. Among other reasons because of his lousy painting. Here's a sketch of what I'm planning:

slann-1.jpg

As you can (hopefully) see, I want to use a base with green stuff as the underside of his palenquin, as I did with my Tetto'Eko conversion:

100_1054.jpg

Hopefully I can start with the conversion next week when I'm home again. Maybe I'll try to sculpt some vines and/or snakes with green stuff. When I got something done, I'll post new pics.

Any thoughts about the conversion? And any idea what kind of Skink I could use to put on or near the throne?

2. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

I'm pretty curious on how it will work out, although I like the idea.

I like the drawing even better though! That is just great :p
    If your work is as good as your drawing, you're good! ;)

The Hunted

3. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

I too think the sketch is awesome, just put that on the table instead of the model lol

I know where you are at with the old edition model, I have that one aswell as the new one and think it looks nice mounted atop a steg lol

I think you've got a good thing there and with any luck the theory and the reality will come out the same.

With the current models the skink is much smaller than your average skink which means that it fits the model quite nicely. I do fear that if you attempt to add a regular skink model to the conversion it may crowd it too much. It may be an idea to have the skink on the base itself and not on the actual palanquin thus the eye is not drawn directly too it and so does not overshadow the Slann.

Just my take on it.

-Eagle

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Very kool Project , Like how you have Tetto'Eko. :D

5. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Love the sketch! Especially the fact that the slann is smiling.

Would recommend the sketch instead of the model too :p

6. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Hope it turns out well. Btw love the tetto eko conversion so much! Great job.

7. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

That Tetto'Eko is amazing, I would totally buy that if you were selling it. Also for the slann you should post it as you work on it.

8. Bentistos
    Saurus

Bentistos New Member

Thanks for all your nice comments, they made me smile like a slann!

With „current models“ you mean the skink on the new slann model? The plastic box skinks are way too large to use, thats right. I have a couple of old skinks I could use though: the old Tehenhauin (or Tenehuini as he was called back then), a few skirmishers with javelins and one of my terradon riders. I put another picture up so you can see the sizes.

100_1062.jpg

I would go for the crouched terradon rider, I think he could fit on the palanquin without diverting from the slann too much. But on the other hand, there are no bows anymore in Lustria. I don't know about giving him a standard or something similar because the other arm that holds the bowstring would look silly then. Any ideas what I could put in his hands otherwise?

While taking the picture I noticed the old slann isn’t smiling at all (not that I thought so), but looks rather as if he sat on something pointy. If I had more experience with green stuff I would probably try and make him smile, but that would just ruin the model right now...

I’m happy to see so much interest in my project. Next monday I’ll hopefully have more to report (and pictures to post).

9. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Nice work you got there!

I agree with the terradon rider, and a suggestion would be to make the skink hold something in both hands (waving a feather or a fan perhaps).

Hope this helps :)

10. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Would could always make him picking his teeth with a bone or something in the other hand, or replace his hand and have him holding a plaque

11. Bentistos
    Saurus

Bentistos New Member

Thanks Craken and Aranigej, I think I'll try something from both of your ideas and give him a plaque in both his hands, so that he is holding it before him and looking over the top of it. I don't know if I'm skilled enough with green stuff, but I'll try using a piece of plastic for support and put a thin layer of green stuff on that. When it's hard enough I'll carve some squares or even runes in it. We'll see how it works out...

12. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Good luck! Looking forward to see it done :)

13. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Sounds cool, good luck with it :)

14. Bentistos
    Saurus

Bentistos New Member

Finally I got to start working on the slann. It's just a little update, but better than no progress. As soon as the green stuff is hardened I'll put some green stuff vines on the palanquin and then I'll start painting the guy.

100_1063.jpg

15. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Looking good!

16. Bentistos
    Saurus

Bentistos New Member

Thanks for keeping me motivated, Aranigej :)

Today I tried my green stuff skills and managed to put a couple of vines on the palanquin. Also, I put another 25 mm base beneath it and sticked three tyranid termagant tails in it. Later they will be painted as Horns protruding from the underside. The Kroxigor head on top is a spare one from my bloodbowl kroxigor.

100_1064.jpg

I tried sticking the whole thing on the flying base stick, but the palanquin seems to be too heavy on its rear, so that it tilts backwards. Do you think green stuff and a lot of glue will steady the model or is there another method? Did you experience that problem with the new Slann model?

17. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Great work Bentistos! It looks good so far... that krox head reminded me of a scene from avatar (the throne of the na'vi leader has a giant dino head on top :))

Motivation is probably the single most important thing when painting or converting a model (and it's my pleasure to help you out in this way :))

With regard to the issue you mentioned, the new slann is rather well balanced so it kind of stays level all on its own.

There are 2 possible solutions I can think of in your case:

1. Thicken the palanquin so that the hole in which the transparent flying base stick goes in is deeper and therefore reduces the imbalance.

2. Move the hole for the transparent flying base stick backwards so that you try and find the centre of gravity of the model.

I would personally go with the 1st option and try to thicken the base (you don't need to thicken all of it, the new slann, in fact, has a small circular section under the palanquin which creates this increased depth and in which the stick goes)

Keep up the good work and looking forward to see more! :)

18. The_Smoking_Lizard
    Jungle Swarm

The_Smoking_Lizard New Member

Keep going, i have a good feeling about this one ;)

19. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Toruk_WIP_II_by_Norarara.jpg
    You mean the toruk? I'm painting one of my terradons to look like that :p

20. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

That's the one suppe :)

Great idea using the colour scheme for the terradons :)