1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Using a daemon prince

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Canas, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I've been trying to use a daemon prince in my tzeentch army. The idea being that I can use my cheating dice to Ensure all of his attacks on a target hit, which coupled with an artifact for extra rend & a cast of arcane transformation means he can do 5 -3 rend attacks that deal D3 damage with his axe. Which will annihlate basicly anything. Combined with his decent speed, flying & a decent save (especially by tzeentch standards..) this makes him quite good to go character hunting.

However, so far he keeps having problems though. He fails to land any blows quite often, however when he does he annihlates his target, resulting in the awkward situation where he'l be stuck in combat for 2-3 rounds being punched in the face until he finally does something. And I can't find anything in the tzeentch list that'l make him more reliable. I've also tried him in a nurgle army where I basicly had the same issues.

Anyone have any ideas how to make him more reliable if it is at all possible? Or are daemon princes simply not all that great for a tzeentch army?

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I like the Demon Prince in AoS. Even if only the Tzeentchian one is a Wizard. Sadly, they are always pretty hit and miss. However, the spend and threat they present makes them worth the 160 points even if they are inconsistent. If you need a consistent hero hunter then I would consider Tzaangor Skyfires and/or Tzaangor Enlightened.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The thing I like about the prince is that he's also has a 4+ save and 8 wounds, and could potentially throw mystic shield on himself. It allows him to go off on his own without much of a worry whereas the tzaangor enlightened would need to be much more carefull as with a 5+ save they're quite squishy...

To be honest, tzeentch seems somewhat lacking in terms of buffs and debuffs. I would've expected them to have more spells that weren't purely destructive. Some buffs instead of 30 versions of setting people on fire and mutating them into chaos spawn would be rather usefull tools to have..

And yeah he is worth it, even if all I use him for is to instantly delete a high priority target by spending all my cheating dice at once. He's powerfull enough that my opponent will at least have to try to tie him up to not risk him killing more valuable. But it just feels rather weird to have my fancy decked out daemon just stand there and miss most if not all his attacks 2 or 3 combat phases in a row.

Killer Angel likes this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

If you want to be THAT GUY bring Archaon. Use the cheat dice to auto delete monsters with Slayer of Kings. killing Alarielle this way is extremely satisfying.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

nah, Archeon is already lame enough without the cheat dice :p

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Such an army would also be much more fun to play against, instead of just be blasted away by MW.
    Which doesn't exactly require a great strategy...

Canas likes this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

True, and it would also make losing certain key units less devestating. In this particular case of trying to use the Daemon prince, if I had buffs I could at least attempt to buff another unit to still be able to hold its own in melee.. whereas now if my daemon prince dies I basicly only really have fodder left as far as actual melee capabilities is concerned…