1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Utilizing a big saurus block

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Seraphage, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Hey guys !

So tomorrow is my 1st 2k point tournament ever ! (and also like the 4rth battle or so )

I know I'm probably losing hard as I am a new player, don't know what most of the other armies do etc etc but :

1. I don't care, I 'll still have the greatest time
    2. I am definitely gonna try as hard as I can to be a worthy opponent
    3. I will try to win anyways ! haha

So the question is : My list ( I'm gonna make reports for it somwhere inbetween next week ) concludes a 40man warrior block with spears.
    I have read the tact posts etc, but 40 man block is just too big to be handled from an inexperienced guy like me I 'm afraid.
    Could as many from our experienced players as possible, try to describe some charges / formations for this block please? :D As to how do I place them since the very beginning, what "edges" and when should the formation have etc. Would really appreciate it !

Bowser and LordRibbit like this.
  2. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

If your army has a skink priest in there to give them re roll saves put a mystic shield on them, a 4+ re roll save which ignores -1 rend on 40 of them will be very hard to shift. My advice would be to sit them on an objective or two and laugh as your opponent tries to wipe them out.

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  3. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Will do my best to try it ! But what about the formation of these 40 lizards ? How can I maximize their pile in potential ? :D *already having a priest in plan for them for these sweet rerolls ! *

m0gstar and Bowser like this.
  4. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

Depends on the space but if you can try and get them into two ranks, if you charge remember that you can go up to your full distance rolled so try to wrap as many around the flanks as possible but stay half an inch away, gives you more opportunity to get models in in the pile in. Plus if you have 2 ranks of twenty you have a chance to charge into multiple units at once to tie them up while the rest of your army does the damage

m0gstar, Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  5. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Great, will do my best ! Thanks !

m0gstar and Bowser like this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Don't make your big block a big block. They have a fluid movement. Depending on the situation you can "conga line " into two enemies, pile in and weaken two enemies on one activation. Mix thay with a Quicksilver on a carno, you can weaken or damage 3 units before they ever get to attack back. Try to deploy them so they can obtain an objective, but back them up if the opponent puts something big bad across from them. Having an old blod on foot as general or part of a blood claw is amazing for a 40 man unit. Conga line this turn and next turn reform into a large block. Have some fun with it. You don't have a movement tray so use the movement to sass, harass and generally block your opponent. Make sure you don't block your own units though. You may want a support unit to be able to charge in and help.

Seraphage and m0gstar like this.
  7. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Good luck! Some great tips here. One thing I may add in is that dependent upon the terrain etc, you may want to drop your big block last of your Battleline so that they can't counter you as effectively. Terrain is probably your fiercest opponent on the table as it can limit your effectiveness more so than most units will.

8. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

My only tip, not really to do with strategy is try and learn your rules as best as you can before you play tomorrow, it will make the games faster and more fun and your opponent will thank you for it.