1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valdus' Lizardmen (UPDATE - 1000pts painted)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Valdus, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Valdus
    Skink

Valdus New Member

I've wanted to start Warhammer for quite a few years and finally made the decision to jump in with a 1000pt lizardman army - which quickly turned into 1000 points of Skaven, High Elves and Tomb Kings so I could get my D&D group playing and hopefully get them to buy their own armies. I started off painting the Tomb Kings skeletons both to practice my painting and also because I was agonizing over colours for my lizards.

I've finally turned my attention to my lizardmen and have some of the main skin/scale areas done... My tactic so far has been getting base coats and major areas done and then moving on to another unit so that when my friends and I play we're not using all plastic or primed models - at least some paint on the models looks nice across the table. I wanted to post some pics and get feedback on what I have done so far, even though it is a bit intimidating looking at all the awesome paint jobs posted, but I think I've done a decent enough job.

My primary colour is going to be purple, but I am trying to incorporate several bright colours across the army to give everything a strong tropical jungle feel. I plan on using the same colours across different units to give them a unified feel.

First up, my skink skirmishers with salamanders in the background. They still need details such as claws, teeth, eyes, and weapons but the skin and scales are done (I am considering a drybrush of Skink Blue on the blue back scales still). My skink handlers for the salamanders are going to be the same as the skirmishers, except they will have yellow/orange crests to match the salamander fins.

HZfxQojh.jpg

Next my saurus, who need a lot of work still. I like the color combination, but I am a bit stuck on where to go next. My current plan is to do the lighter purple on the back which you can see on a few models then drybrush a highlight purple before washing with Druchii Violet. I also want to put stripes horizontally across the back in Temple Guard Blue to tie in with the skinks. Where I am stuck is the orange... Troll Slayer and Fire Dragon Bright are both MUCH brighter than the base orange and I am worried it might be overwhelming. So, I might try yellow on the center of the chest/underbelly and leave orange to the legs, arms, hands and outer portion of the underside. Any thoughts on how to approach that?

6yHMRGfh.jpg

And, it isn't a lizardman unit so I'll just leave a link to the photo instead of embedding, but this was my first big model painted and I am pretty happy with how it turned out so I want to share :)

http://i.imgur.com/nBbedea.jpg

2. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Re: Valdus' First Batch of Lizardmen

I love the color scheme for the saurus!

Awesome combination.

I wouldn't be too afraid of Troll slayer - i used it on my sallie to get some duality in color (based him orange as well) and it works rather well i'd say - test it on a model first, then see if you like it! :)

3. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

The thing with troll slayer is that it is fairly transparent, it show the colour beneath, so it will "dull down" due to the darker shade beneath :)

And the fact you based black will help to dull it down too :)

4. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

maybe you can some orange to the skinks head fin so it turns from green to yellow to orange and (maybe red)

5. Valdus
    Skink

Valdus New Member

Update time! I tried troll slayer orange and fire dragon bright on the saurus undersides but I just couldn't get it to look like anything other than a traffic cone. After some more experimenting I ended up settling on bestigor flesh and ungor flesh over the orange basecoat then used reikland fleshshade over that. It resulted in a much duller orange but I find it doesn't clash with the darker purple as much. I still need to do the weapon, shield, and base on my test model.

rZzKVAd.jpg

7pjXPC2.jpg

I also spent some time on my Cold Ones... the mount itself is mostly done, but the riders are going to get painted before I glue them on. The unit champion gets the purple one. I'm going to give each of my eventual cowboys a unique coloured mount as well.

ez6AvfS.jpg

hv2M8dE.jpg

6. Valdus
    Skink

Valdus New Member

Update time! After several months I finally found the time to finish off the army - mostly because I was signed up for a 1000 point tournament that required full paint. So here it is, 1000 points of finished lizardmen. Now I have until July to paint Tetto, 20 more skinks and an ancient steg to be ready for the 1500 point tournament.

Cold One Cavalry with Standard
    35IqdKa.jpg
    4KAEZwg.jpg

Oldblood
    ycxeRbE.jpg
    0vtr2bc.jpg

Priest
    eLXBMK0.jpg
    PCNHvV9.jpg

Whole army on display for player's choice paint voting before the tournament (I was voted 2nd!)
    23OI86c.jpg

End of Turn 1 vs Dwarves in the first game
    h8T8U7G.jpg

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Great looking amy man,
    I love the stripes and bold tropical colors. :smug: