1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vallejo Paints

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Kaax Taat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

I have read that Vallejo Paints are a great replacement for the GW paints.
    Anyone willing to offer feedback/

Thanks,
    Kaax Taat

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I am interested in this as well. I am tired of my GW paint drying up or caking up around the lid. A dropper is the way to go, I think.

3. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Have you tried to store your paints upside down??? I put mine in an old egg carbox, and make sure I put them upside down. The paint will seal the lid and the air will be in a closed space. This will prevent your paint from drying.

Can't help you on the Vallejo paint though :D.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

From what I have read, vallejo is good stuff yes. The biggest problem comes in the fact that the names are different, so it is a little harder to follow someone elses colour scheme. I haven't tried their actual paints, but I have tried the inks, and they were a bit different to GW inks but still worked very well. And yes the dropper bottle is the way to go, you also get much more control with how much paint you take out, especially good for mixing. Vallejo paints are also cheaper than GW and contain more paint. When my current paints run out thats what I'm switching too.

If you do a bit of a google search you will find reviews that compare the different paint brands, and there are subtle differences, however, I think unless you are a fairly professional painter you probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference.

5. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

Black and white are better than GWs, Fiery Orange (or something like that) is too wetty IMHO

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Whaty?

7. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

ops, meant watery

8. boreas
    Saurus

boreas New Member

Here's a basic conversion table. On the vallejo site you can download PDF "brochures" with more conversion. http://groups.google.com/group/fow-madison/web/vallejo-to-gw-paint-comparison-table?pli=1

I'm currently switching all my paints to Vallejo once a GW pot is finished. The Vallejos are, IMO, just as good as GW's which are, to many pro-painters (world "champions" like Jeremie Bonamant-Teboul http://www.jeremiebt.com/index.php?page=sitefr) already very good. They do have a much wider range of paints then GW (including a few turquoise tones for Lizzies!).

What made me switch are the droppers. First of all, I can't "dip" my 17$ brush in pure paint by accident. Second, I can't leave one open to dry by accident. Finally (and most important) is my "mix recipies". I bought empty droppers in which I put water, Klear (pure acrilyc medium), alcohol and other "mixers". It's easier then for me to remember mixes. For exemple, if a recipe is 2 drops "london grey", 1 drop "pale bluegrey", 3 drops "water" and 1 drop "matte medium", it's easier to recreate.

So, don't throw away your GW paints, but for the same price (and 2 ml more IIRC!), I'd switch to Vallejo.

Phil

9. Horrid Mischief
    Jungle Swarm

Horrid Mischief New Member

I've got GW paint from the 1980's that is still good. Everything they put into the black-capped paint bottles dried out after only one or two uses, so I ended up switching to Vallejo about ten years ago. I also bought empty dropper bottles and transferred GW paint into it. ( I think Reaper also sells empty dropper bottles as well.)

In answer to your question Vallejo paints are as good as you will find; every bit as good as GW. The dropper bottles are awesome as it is hard to use too much paint and prevents them from drying out if you accidentally leave the cap off. Sometimes the hole will get dried up and squeezing out paint will pop it out and cause you to squirt a bit too much out, but jamming a tack or pin into the hole will fix that.

Having said all that, the new GW paint bottles look near perfect as well. They seal like the early 1980's era bottles and include a clear top so you can see the colors.

10. Chris M
    Skink

Chris M New Member

I've been painting for 10 years now. I used to use the GW paints exclusively. I ran out of tentacle pink and decided to try Vallejo. That one color made me switch to their entire range. Its amazing paint. Its easier to mix because of the dropper. Its a smoother texture. Some of the paints aren't as thick as GW but I watered down all my GW paints anyway and used 4-5 coats where some people would use 2. The ones that aren't as pigment heavy I just apply more coats.. it takes patience.

All in all I have to say I LOVE my Vallejo paint. I have their entire range that I bought in a case including their INKS which GW doesn't have any more and their washes. If your thinking that the paint used with improve your models appearance you're mistaken. It still takes time and love to make a great model I just like the consistent flow I get from the Vallejo better than the GW stuff. As a bonus if you get the big set it comes with a conversion guide from GW to Vallejo. Here is an example.

100% Vallejo
    100_6521.jpg

100% GW
    100_6418.jpg

I can tell the difference... but can you? If you can tell me what about these models looks different in terms of the paint... Not the paint jobs... Maybe you should think about switching yourself.

Chris

Edit:
    For some reason It wouldnt let me post the pictures.

11. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

@Chris.....
    This may be complete BS but the Vallejo looks like it was all painted with ink, the coverage allows more detail from the sculpture to show through. Using traditional paint on canvas analogies; it appears as if the BM chariot was painted in a translucent water color and the Deamon mini painted in Oil with a palet knife. The washes look more natural.

I have no idea if thats what you were looking for be its what I see.

Thanks,
    Kaax Taat

12. strewart
    OldBlood

I feel like I can see a small difference, but I can't put my finger on what it is. That could be just because I know I am looking for a difference though, I'm interested. What is the main difference?

13. Chris M
    Skink

Chris M New Member

This is exactly it. The Vallejo being thinner lets the details show through more. Its a more consistent paint. Using the Vallejo takes a bit more time to paint but the end result is fantastic IMHO. I'm starting a Painting log now of what I completed today. I'm sick as a dog so it wasn't much.

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Thats interesting. Do you still water it down? I would think after you water down the GW paints a bit they would be suitably thin anyway.

15. boreas
    Saurus

boreas New Member

Whether it's Vallejo or GW, you still have to water it down. As a rule, pro-painters will almost never apply "pure" paint to models. The exception being very tiny details, like a white dot on a gem. Even then, it's usually diluted 1 part paint to 1 part water.

I really suggest the Miniature mentor DVD series. The basic one will cost around 20-30$ and give a really good idea on how to use professional techniques. It has changed the way I paint completely. I use to put a thick base coat on my minis. Seeing a guy having to put 2-3 layers to get a full base coat raised questions, but I've tried it. It's just incredible how tiny details will show much more doing it this way.

As for quality, you can use Vallejo, GW, Andrea, it doesn't really matter. Some of the best pro painters in the world will use GW (Vincent Hudon come to mind). It's just a matter of dilution. Since dropper bottle tend to keep the paint longer that GW pots, you'll have to dilute them a bit less.

Also, there is the matter of how to dilute. A 2 liters bottle of distilled water costs about 1$ and will last a year. I might seem fussy, but even a bit of chlorine will mess with the acrylic mediums. A few dropper bottles (empty, 1$, from Vallejo) will be used to keep water, alcohol, "future" (than acrylic floor shiner that is pure acrylic medium). Those will help to dilute and keep a paint running. For example, diluting 3 drop of paint, 5 drops of water and 1 drop of "future" will make a good paint to blend and the future will act as a drying retardant. Washing with a bit of alcohol before you wash with a regular wash will help your wash to go into the recesses, etc...

I really started to get interested into painting techniques about a year ago. I'm fascinated by the techniques that change a "hobby" into "art"! There are a lot of resources out there and really learning how to paint is a thing that pays so much in the long run. I wish I'd studied all this 7 years ago when I started.

If Strewart is interested I could make a list of resources for a sticky...

Phil

16. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah go for it if you want. I have actually been thinking for a long while it would be good to get our own beginners level tutorial up on the board, we actually get quite a few members who have never painted before and a sticky with all the basic tips (water down your paints etc.) would probably be very helpful. Probably a thread of resoures for up to advanced level would be good too.

Painting really is a case of how much effort you are willing to put in. Personally, I'm proud of my models and like them to be a decent standard, a bit above tabletop, but I don't want to go to all the extra effort and techniques to do it. I'll probably never bother with thinners, retarders etc. or using distilled water, just tap water gives me the results I am happy with. Obviously different for everyone though.

17. boreas
    Saurus

boreas New Member

I'll work on that... You're quite right, Strewart, painting (like everything) will be directly proportional to want effort you want to put in. I truly understand when people want to "put more boots on the table". Actually, my Space Marines army was painted in the "get as good results as I could with as little time per model as possible). Hence I've dabbled into dipping and such.

Painting is of of the many facets of the hobby. People should not feel "pressured" into painting, as that would take all the fun out of it.

Phil

18. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

I can really relate to what your saying here, both of you. I started the hobby because I liked the gaming aspect, I still do, but not the painting. I don't really like painting. I'm not one of those people who will easily be able to do something they don't like purely because they will get satisfaction out of it in the end. Therefore I don't like painting that much - but I want a completely painted army that I can be proud of, tricky eh?

I have painted a few units, it's not like every model is unpainted. I started a project to completely revitalise my interest for Lizardmen a few months ago. I told myself that I would keep all my models in my case and 'buy' them by taking them out of my case and giving them a nice paint job. I did this because I always felt envious of people who could look forward to the weekend when they were getting a new model to add to their collection. I could never do this - I had money so I bought everything more or less at once. Then painted about 3 units... You can probably tell that it didn't work...

I did succeed in painting one unit of 15 Saurus Warriors which I am really pleased with. I don't use techniques - the closest I come to taking care over my models is giving them a wash when it's a bit bland. I don't thin the paint, I shake it; paint it; maybe give it a bit of a wash to make it look nice, and that's about it. Yet still I am really pleased with the result.

I shall post a picture if anyone's interested.

19. megz04
    Skink

megz04 New Member

I have used the GW paints for years and have recently discovered the vallejo paints. They look just as good on the models - and being thinner they last longer!! The dropper bottle is a great idea to stop it drying up - much better than the new GW airtight lids - which are almost impossible to open (may I ask the girls on here - how many nails have you broken on them?!)! I also find the vallejo paints mix better and more consistantly. The downside being (as mentioned before) the colours have different names and there is a wider range - so you need to be careful that you are gettingthe right colour. Personally I will use GW paints when I know I need a specific colour, and vellejo for anything that the exact colour isn't important. Another major bonus of vallejo in the UK at least is the price, I bought a set of 10 brand new paints (inc. 2 metallics) for £16 including delivery!