1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varnishing Models

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by bonz, Jul 2, 2013.

1. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

well i want to varnish my models as the paint is annoyingly susceptible to rubbing off, however i have never used any type of varnish on my miniatures before.

so, is purity seal really as bad as the internet makes out? has anyone had good/bad experiences with it or other varnishes (spray or brush on)?

also what is a 'satin' finish? i get that its supposed to be between gloss and matte, but is it actually noticeably shiny?

i would like to have a matte finish without dulling any colours if that is actually possible :smug:

thanks in advance guys!

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Satin finish is in between gloss and mat,
    it shouldn't dull your colors much, but it has a little shine to it.

3. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

@N810, have you any experience with using purity seal spray varnish? what sort of results does it get?

4. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

My go to for varnish is Testors Dullcote, it leaves a nice matt finish and is very good at protecting from bumps and scrapes.

The only issue I find with it is that it is quite hard to come by as I beleive it comes from the States, so when I do find some I do buy a few cans.

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I have used the army builders mid tone dip to before. It gives a nice shine to the models, making the lizardmen's skin glisten. I do not dip the models though, i brush it on.

6. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Matte finishes like Dullcote and Purity Seal are crap when it comes to protecting a paint job from wear and tear. They are designed to dull the finish and kill any shine from the paint. Contrary to their advertising statements, they are not good at stopping chipping and rubbing away of the paint. This is not a big problem with plastic or resin models since paint adheres to them very well if they are properly spray primed. But it is a big problem for older metal models since the bond between the surface and the paint is not as good.

Another problem is that matte finishes will significantly change the look of certain paints. In particular, since they are designed to create a dull finish, anything but the lightest coat will destroy the effect of metallic paints. If you paint with a NMM technique, that's not an issue. But if you paint using actual metallic paints, the matte finish can really screw it up. Silver metallics will just end up looking gray.

Gloss varnishes on the other hand forms a thin and hard coat over the model. This means they do a very good job of both (1) protecting the paint job from chipping and wearing away and (2) maintaining the integrity of the original colors on the model, especially metallics.

Of course the problem is that you end up with a very glossy and shiny finish that doesn't look good on the tabletop.

So here's what I do -- I use both.

Step 1 -- Seal the models with 2 coats of a gloss varnish. Wait about 10 minutes between coats. I use Krylon Crystal Clear, an acrylic gloss varnish available at most art supply stores in the US. If you are overseas, you will have to find a different brand.

Step 2 -- "Mist" the models with a matte sealer. I spray from about 1.5 to 2 feet away so that the spray isn't moving as fast by the time it gets to the model and so I get a really light coat of the matte on there. I try to just get enough on there to kill the shine from the gloss. I put on so little that I sometimes need to hit the models twice with it--I am really careful not to apply too much at once. Done right, it maintains the color of the underlying paint, including metallics, and you have the good protection provided by the underlying gloss. I use Armory Matte Sealer, but have used GW in the past (Armory is cheaper and just as good).

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Good advise, that is definately the best way to protect your paint job. :meh:

Ps. no I don't believe I have messed with purity seal.

8. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

thanks for the advice guys! yeah as most of my models are older models painted with old paints they are quite easy to rub off... but after reading so many horror stories about using spray on varnishes im thinking about painting on my varnish....

would painting on a layer of 'artcoat gloss varnish then painting over it with a layer of some other matte varnish work ok, or would this be too thick?

i would like to stay as true to the colours as possible AND protect them from damage... which probably is how everyone ideally wants to varnish their models :D

9. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

The horror story I hear about spray varnishes is that sometimes they create a white powdery or cloudy effect. This really only happens with matte sprays, and the effect is from too much humidity in the air, and I've heard people say that they had to completely strip and repaint their models as a result of this.

But there is actually a really easy solution to the problem that doesn't require repainting -- just spray (or brush) the models again with another coat of gloss (important that it's gloss) varnish. Gloss varnishes have a bit of solvent in them that will break down and eliminate the powdery white problem. Then after the gloss dries, try the matte spray again when the humidity is lower.

Brush-on gloss would work fine for the first coat. I don't know of any brush-on matte sealers though. I think the second sealer would have to be spray-on.

In my experience, the 2-step approach I've described does this job well as long as you are very careful not to overdo the matte spray.

10. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

thanks dyvim tvar, the two stage approach sounds like the best option i think il go with that :smug:

11. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Cool -- let us know how you like it.