1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vassels of Sotek - A Lizardmen Plog

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lizardmen_Jeff, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Lizardmen_Jeff New Member

Thanks for the kinds words! :artist: Hope to get some new pics up of the stuff I've been working on, actually getting the hobby bug again!

2. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Good to see another fellow Indy gamer up here. Took you long enough!

(It's Nathan ;) )

3. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

See if you wern't rolling around all incognito with another name I would have recognized you! ;) Need a universal forum handle like cali john!

4. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

So pulling in on the end of my old pics, likely just one or two more update after this one and I'll be on the new batch! After finding out I was going to be paired with Wayne Kemp for the Fantasy doubles at acon I've had a hobby fire lit under my...ark of sotek... and have been pushing to really get some stuff done so i can get this army on the table! Almost finished building everything that I need for my 2400 and will be focusing and getting it all at the very least table top standard. Anywho, here are some pics of the 2nd finished skinkadon!

even though he has a little more static pose, I really like this guy! Kinda looks like hes picking out the best target before jumping into the fray.
    100_3056.jpg

100_3058.jpg

100_3059.jpg

100_3060.jpg

As I made progress on my temple guard last year I took pics of the different phases of colors. Here is a pic of my workstation at a CCC event, I like to try and get some hobby done while I TO!

100_3083.jpg

100_3085.jpg

100_3088.jpg

100_3090.jpg

100_3091.jpg

When I made my third and final Skinkadon I wanted to go for a more dynamic pose, however the models dont necessarily lend themselves very well to an overhead striking position. After some trial and error I got it how i wanted it, but documented the process! Also gave a more in depth look at how i did the conversion

best way to do it was to make sure there was a brass rod all the way through, otherwise im sure it would break over and over and over...
    100_3102.jpg

had to pin the arms so they wouldnt go all willy nilly
    100_3106.jpg

Spent a lot of time making sure the arms were glued in the right positions
    100_3107.jpg

then positioning the hands so htey matched up with the wrists
    100_3112.jpg

shazam!
    100_3113.jpg

positioned him similar to the first one, only his spire isnt crumbling
    100_3118.jpg

100_3120.jpg

100_3127.jpg

100_3128.jpg

100_3130.jpg

100_3132.jpg

100_3139.jpg

and the whole unit ranked up!
    100_3152.jpg

100_3153.jpg

when i was feathering this guy i actually ran out and had to order more!
    100_3154.jpg

rawr!!!
    100_3155.jpg

thats it for now, gonna be taking some pics of my new stuff and will hopefully be getting it up within the next few weeks! Thanks for looking!

:chicken:

n810, Seraphage, Warden and 2 others like this.
  5. hilburn
    Cold One

hilburn New Member

What are the spires from? Steg?

6. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Correct, had an extra kit lying around that I butchered for parts! Funny thing, i have 3 steg kits an only 1 steg... a very exspensive kit for parts nabbing, but not nearly as bad as the trog/carn kit i bough just for the skink rider! Am def going to be using the rest of the kits but when i want a bit...i want that bit!

7. hilburn
    Cold One

hilburn New Member

I'm exactly the same, I never like going to the bitz websites as they are very uneconomical per part and I will always find a use for everything in a kit (eventually).

For example, I want to make a custom Tetto'eko, incorporating the top bit from a hurricanum (amongst other things). If I buy that from one of the uk bitz people it comes to about £10, however I can get the whole kit for about £22 on ebay or during some of the online sales. Then the luminark will go on a laserdon and the coach will probably become part of a carnival of chaos mordheim warband as a plague cart. The wizards.. well everyone likes a few corpses on their bases.

8. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

This actually is my universal name across all the warhammer forums except our local ones lol.

Still love those skinkadons! the feathers make them look so awesome!

Let me know if I can buy that oldblood from the carno kit from you ;)

9. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

So I know I said I was going to update once a week, but Im too damn excited to wait! Finally got some new batteries for the camera and took some pics of my new stuff. For some reason the photos are a bit fuzzy looking, I had my entire lighting setup turned on and i think it was producing glare on the metal models (which are basically all of them!) so the photo quality isnt the best. So for this special holiday update I will be revealing for the first time on the web my two converted cowboys and solar engine! Hope you like them!

A while back when i was working at the Game Preserve here in Indianapolis I bought the Lizardmen regiment of renowned skink riders on cold ones. At the time I was just collecting and had no real use for them, but after sitting in deep closet storage for years I finally came up with some ideas! I had previously used two of the cold ones for chariot mounts (pictured earlier in this thread) because i just like the look and feel of the old metal cold ones. They are a bit of a pain to put together but there is just something about them that piques my interest, they are very dynamic and spades better (imo) than the current cold one kit. So after thinking about it for ages I finally took the plunge and cleaned, assembled and green stuffed them up!

The first one up is going under the working title of "Pointy". I love this char model but since i never use special chars and chiefs were a not nearly as good in the previous book he sat in blister until now! Since I'm going with a Sotek themed army I wanted my characters to be skink war chiefs (fluff is in the works but no where near ready) that survived the skaven rat wars. Since the Horned One is no longer a mount option I figured I could finally have these on the table without anyone questioning what they were. So without further adieu, here he is...

After looking at the cold one model w rider on the back, I knew I couldnt just leave the back bare, so i green stuffed a skaven pelt on its back for him to ride on! In the fluff its going to be the pelt of a grey seer imbibed with magical properties to represent a magic item (so as not to irritate the wysiwyg crowd at tournies).
    100_3562_zpsdba044ed.jpg

100_3563_zps66dbdb1f.jpg

100_3564_zps97ed1d61.jpg

100_3565_zps75e56ab6.jpg

I always loved this old tiq-tac-to model but could never think of a use for him...till now!!!
    100_3573_zps0eeec86d.jpg

100_3574_zps566efc69.jpg

100_3576_zps76ccff8f.jpg

I just used some blue tack to stick him one there so hes tilted slightly off but you can still get the gist. He's found his next victim and is letting them know hes comin for em!

10. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Next up is my second cowboy with the working title "Smashy". As soon as i saw the skink oracle on the trog kit I just knew I had to use him for some sort of conversion! I had originally come up with the skink -> cowboy conversion a while ago and assembled this cold one, which is the old Inci Winci's (or however its spelled) ride. In the original conversion i was going to use the skink chief from the steg kit, but when the trog kit released i knew this guy was going to be perfect!

I first had to make the hard decision of cutting off his top horns. Hated doing it but they were just to gangly and obstructed the model more than i wanted. I knew he was going to need a saddle to so i green stuffed it up and sculpted the "seat" part of the saddle to look like skaven fur as well.

no mas horns, mas green stuff
    100_3589_zps22501149.jpg

100_3591_zpsca7fcba8.jpg

100_3596_zpsba6f4196.jpg

Since he didnt have a proper weapon, I green stuffed him a big ol mace to use as a great weapon. Again, its all blue tacked into place so the positioning might be off.

100_3599_zps3540729e.jpg

100_3605_zpsda781a4f.jpg

100_3606_zpsf943f19f.jpg

100_3607_zps1690d404.jpg

still have some work to do one the mace but he is nearing completion and will soon be primed!

11. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Last up is a much simpler conversion, my solar engine. I really hate the sculpt they did for this, imo the gem is just silly looking and makes me think the designers were just like "lets throw some lizard bits together and see what happens...". I love the bits in this kit though and it was pretty easy to come up with an alternative conversion!

I really liked these little statues and thought they should play a larger aesthetic role. The platform is also one of the most awesome parts of this model so i wanted it to be visible as well, as opposed to covered up with a silly crystal!

100_3578_zps2da66610.jpg

100_3579_zpsd69fc032.jpg

100_3580_zps060a5b5c.jpg

This is def my favorite bit from the kit so it must be used!
    100_3581_zpsc5ea9a50.jpg

The crystal I'm using is actually from the skaven warp grinder which was already butcher'd for its head and tail for Pointy, so i didnt feel so bad chopping it up.

100_3583_zpsbca515c8.jpg

And here it is all coming together...i love it when a plan comes together!
    100_3585_zps3b00583d.jpg

100_3586_zpsafa9d5a0.jpg

Alright, well thats all for now, hope you enjoy!

:mad:

n810, Seraphage, Warden and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Nice, simple conversion. Looks great!

13. Lizardmen_Jeff
    Saurus

Last update for a little bit, with the holidays coming up I'll be pretty busy! These are pics of the progress on my temple guard, specifically the helmets have been painted and the gold washes completed. I was also painting the ornamental jewelry and bracelets etc and was attempting to use the same method as when I washed the gold. However, the silver didnt take to the wash as effectively as the gold which caused me a lot of frustration! :shamefullyembarrased:

100_3134.jpg

100_3135.jpg

100_3136.jpg

100_3137.jpg

Here is a close up of the wash over silver, the purple worked out pretty good, but the greens and blues just did not want to hold like the purple! Still happy with the effect and moreover, had no desire to go over all those bits again!!!
    100_3138.jpg

Close up of the bone helms
    100_3142.jpg

And a few pics of the command in progress, you can really tell the difference from the base color (musician on the right) and the finished bone
    100_3144.jpg

My TG champ model shows off the paint scheme quite nicely! You can compare the unwashed silver there to some of the washed bits to see the affect
    100_3145.jpg

100_3146.jpg

100_3148.jpg

100_3149.jpg

100_3150.jpg

Thats all for now, hope everyone has a fantastic turkey day! For those of you who dont live in the states, its the official American holiday of gluttony recognition and acceptance. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

:clown:

14. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

Love it! My favourite (so far) is the chariot. I also like the Horned One/rider!

:beaver:

Captaniser likes this.
  15. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I really like the bone colour. It looks quite realistic! What colours did you use there?

Captaniser likes this.
  16. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Please tell how you got Chakax's tail to play nice! Mine won't stay on, even with a botched pin attempt and green stuff!

17. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I know you might no longer be on the boards but if you ever check back this is some awesome work dude

Captaniser, Warden, tom ndege and 2 others like this.
  18. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

This is a truly beautiful model, those feathers are amazing !

Captaniser likes this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Cool inspiration from this thread, even though it is old. Thanks for bringing it up again for new lizards like me to see it :)