1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiction Vermintide Short

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Sudaj, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

I have always felt that the Lizardmen have been under represented in the Lore and Games that Games Workshop produces... i would love to see some Bad @$% Saurus Warriors and swift moving Skinks in new games like Vermintide, or Total War: Warhammer... but for now I guess I will just have to use my imagination.

On that note, I was bored a few weeks ago and started a short story... Figured I would share. This was just a short blurb, so don't take it too seriously.

For uncounted millennia, he had battled the forces of Chaos… But never before had a task caused him so much concern. Stealth was not his forte, yet here, so very far from home he was completely alone. And remaining undetected was his best, if not his only chance at fulfilling the demands of his master. The Priests had done all they could to prepare him, offering all the knowledge his people had about the realms of men, but even so this place was completely alien to him. The people of this land are small and pale, speaking in whispers as he passes, and regarding him with fear and suspicion…

And so he sat, alone in the corner of a dingy tavern. The other patrons gave him a wide berth… the light of the torches glinting faintly off the enchanted medallion handing about his neck. This medallion was a gift from the Priests, the strong magic within it allowed him to understand the cackling, chittering words of the native peoples… Though he could still not speak in their tongue. And while his form was mostly hidden beneath a long leather cloak, when he moved, his silver-blue scales shone from beneath.

He rose from his table and stepped over to the barkeep, and tossed another large golden coin onto the counter.
    “Another roast shank, my Large, Scaly friend?” quipped the innkeeper.
    The hulking figure simply nodded, and once the leg was plated, he returned with it to his corner.
    After waiting in the dark of the inn for some time, he overheard what he had been hoping for:
    His 3 months of traveling across the empire, he had heard many strange tales. Some he knew to be true, like the rise of the Vermintide, other he had only hoped to be true… like the Rumor of five heroes in a distant city whom battled the rat-spawn wherever they dared to rear their filthy heads. His hatred for the Xha-Kota was nothing short of all consuming, which is why the Slann and Skink Priests had chosen him, and him alone to travel beyond the safety of Lustria and bring war to the Skaven on a second front.

He had now found those five heroes, and he knew his chances of dealing a mortal blow to the Skaven warhost in this region would be infinitely better with the aid of other warriors. The Heroes stood encircling a table, on which rested a detailed map of the city and its surroundings. As they whispered of strategies and plans, his magical amulet translated it to the words he knew. After a time, he quietly rose from his seat and approached the table. A hush fell over the group of heroes, unsure of how to treat this rather large approaching figure… The Saurian reached into his cloak and slowly drew forth his toothed, sword-like war club. The heroes all stepped back and readied, weapons, in case this stranger proved aggressive. However the Saurian simply set the club on the table, a sign of peace. He then lowered his hood, and for the first time he revealed his face.

None of the Heroes had ever met a Saurus Warrior before, or ever heard of the Lizardmen of distant lustria, aside from wild rumors from the steaming continent. He pointed to the situation map sprawled before them, and motioned at his weapon.

“You want to help us kill Vermin?” the dwarf asked skeptically.

The Saurian nodded deeply.

“You can understand us, creature?” laughed the waywatcher.

Again he nodded.

“But can ye’ speak?” whispered the Mage.

The Old-Blood let out a low, throaty growl. A sound of bestial ferocity, but no words.

[That's as far as I got in one sitting, I have a short attention span.]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice start, looks like the dungeon crawl is about to begin!

Also here is something from the Lustriapedia that might help:

Xha-kota: Skaven. A term meaning “unnatural spawn of the Rat”. Also called rat-men, vermin, Sotek fodder, ratfolk pure anathema, rodent men, tumors, and defilers, among many other colorful nicknames.

Also the High Saurian tutorial has lots of great tips!

3. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

Really nice w.i.p! :)

I agree that some of the other races need better representation. Keep it up!

4. neoanomally
    Skink

neoanomally Member

Thank you for sharing your short! Looking forward to seeing more work if you have time :D

5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Pretty epic start so far keep it going!

Paradoxical Pacifism and Sudaj like this.
  6. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member