1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volcanic Lizardmen Painting Blog (neveroddoreven update)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Silverbolt, Dec 13, 2012.

1. angrybear
    Jungle Swarm

angrybear New Member

Re: Volcanic Lizardmen Painting blog (CoC update 1/4)

I really like your cold ones, I found them pretty hard to paint with all the details (its a puzzle to match the colours). Your blog is really inspiring and your colour scheme is gorgeous. Also your carnosaur is maybe the best carnosaur I have ever seen :jawdrop: .

2. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

As always great work!

I like the shifty look of the CoC drummer, he looks like he is about to smack the cold one across the back of the head with the drum stick!

The krox look like angry fire efreets, very dramatic and I'm very envious!

3. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Loving those Krox! the scales on the back have come up REEEEAL nice!

4. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Wow, it's been a long time! Started my own business so these past few months have seen very little action with my cold-blooded friends. Finished up a second Ancient Stegadon. With all the real-life stuff going on, he's been painted in little 10 minute sessions for the past few months. I'm happy with the results, but I do think it could have been better if I could have just had 2 solid days to work on him...

DSCN1103_zpsd1ebc7e3.jpg

DSCN1104_zps19a566e8.jpg

DSCN1105_zps3d3d914c.jpg

DSCN1107_zps9f2e2f04.jpg

DSCN1106_zps6e5e9c34.jpg

Warden likes this.
  5. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Re: Volcanic Lizardmen Painting blog (Ancient Steg update 4/

Whoo great job on that stegadon!

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

O_O

That's is super sexy. I love the base.. And the steg. It just goes so well together :D

7. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Nice Steggy, I especially like the Skink crew. You managed to get the orange, yellow, and green combo to work well. Superb execution.

8. johho
    Skink

johho New Member

Wow... just wow... I love the hole idea!

9. sillyduck123
    Saurus

sillyduck123 Member

I really like the paint scheme apart from the shields

They stand out way to much :)

10. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Thanks for the kind words. I've been so busy with the new business there hasn't been much time for painting.

However, I've got several projects still waiting to be painted: a Trog, a couple cowboys, some rippers and Terradons, a few Skink Priests/Chiefs...

I also just got my hands on a GamesDay Slann model. I'm hoping to magnetize it between a palanquin and a Steg for Lord Mazdamundi!

11. Carnozen92
    Skink

Carnozen92 New Member

Man I am really digging the molten look. Seeing lizard players that don't paint them blue with a jungle base gives me hope that creativity still exists!

Keep up the awesome work home slice :)

12. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

I saw Neveroddoreven's post about a painting service and had to take the opportunity. In my opinion, he's the best Character painter on the forums. You can argue that, but I don't think anyone would argue he's among our top tier of painters. We PMed back and forth for a little bit then progressed to emails.

We agreed to do a unit of Skinks and a Skink Chief. I provided him with a Steg banner arm to make a standard bearer and included some extra bits from the TG sprues to add to the Champ/SB's shields. I linked him my plog so he could review it and see what I have done with my color scheme. While he waited for more the models to arrive, he put together a chart of options for me to choose from.

LavaSkinks_zps2bc3ae10.jpg

I ended up choosing the scales from D with the tail/crests of H. I asked for the orange -> yellow tail from G for the SKink Chief. Next, he painted up a test model:

LavaSkinkTest_zps54197714.jpg

The Skink was too yellow, so we chatted about it and he sent another test model photo for approval:

LavaSkinkTest2_zps3e3c0318.jpg

These were more on target so we moved forward. While he was painting, he regularly sent me emails with updates on his progress. When the unit and Chief was done, he sent me a couple photos to review:

4_zps4a7e0ef4.jpg
    3_zps83f26171.jpg
    1_zps8628a582.jpg
    2_zps55ab7e85.jpg

I noticed a couple Skinks were missing some stripes on their crests. We chatted about it, and he tweaked them and sent the final pictures:

LavaSkinkChief_zps58cb5195.jpg
    LavaSkinks1_zps713c5243.jpg
    LavaSkinks2_zps7b35449b.jpg

After my final approval, he shipped me the models. They arrived very securely packaged. There was no damage. The Skink Chief received extra packing love. So, here is a summary:

Pros:
    excellent communication
    high level of painting
    great time table for the whole process
    excellent packing
    gave me some great ideas to incorporate into the rest of my army

Cons:
    the models I painted look shabby now...
    it will take hours for me to add yellow stripes and red stripes to all my skinks...

So, I would highly recommend mailing some models to the UK. You will be glad you did. I've been pestering him to finalize some pricing some I can get some more models painted.

Warden likes this.
  13. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Awesome looking Skinks! He really can do wonders with characters, but it's cool to see that rank and file troops look equally awesome. Plus, I just have a weak spot for that orange, yummy!

*Sigh* I know what you mean...

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

your's I think you mean everyone else's... :D

15. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

They look VERY well!

I will definetely consider neverodenen if he get's pricing on his produce and i get an army where i don't want to mix my own fingers into everything!

I especially like the skink chief, also because it's probably my favourite lizard model!

Out of interest, what was the time frame from start to finish? :)

16. woogity
    Cold One

woogity Active Member

love that chief! nice work!

17. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

@VampTeddy: I first PMed him on September 17th. Moved to emailing around September 22nd. I shipped the models from TX on September 24th. Models arrived in UK on October 9th. Picture of the first test model was October 11th. Corrected and final test model picture arrived on October 12th. The unit was finished on October 18th. Skink Chief was done on October 22nd.

So, if you take away shipping times, the actual work took two weeks for a unit of 12 and 1 Hero model.

I was very happy with this timeframe. I received A LOT of email updates throughout the process.

18. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reviews guys, this is exactly what I wanted from the project. You were both great clients to work with.
    With some of the commission horror stories I've read about recently (look up that Blue Table Painting Chaos Dwarf project - yikes!), I understand you both took a chance with me and I'm grateful for that.

19. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Ach, if only i could afford the postage i might have been able to give you an empire dude to get away from the lizards shortly!

@Silver - I'd say that's a good timeframe as well! i guess anytime you want something done properly you're gonna expect it to be a while, and if you need it now, you should do it now (yourself). The quality and sheer awesome of those models, and for only 2 weeks of actual work (surely with other stuff springled in?) is impressive! Good thing you jumped in, so someone helped with the internship :)!

20. tanniith
    Jungle Swarm

tanniith New Member

@ Neveroddoreven - been a lurker for a while, loved your work on these volcanic lizardmen and wanted to get in touch with you to hear about work on some tg or saurus. Do you have a website or email address where I can ping you?