1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Walach's Review of 8th Edition Army Book Magical Items

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Scalenex, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I've moved these from the Tactica Index so a discussion on the Army book magical items can be kept in it's own thread.

Lizardmen Army Book items:

Blade of Realities - Considering the points cost of this thing, I was expecting something rather spectacular. This is not. A similar effect can be achieved by taking a great weapon and the other tricksters shard for a fraction of the cost. Plus it leaves your oldblood without much in the way of defences. Avoid.
    Verdict - only taken in very specific circumstances

The Piranha Blade - Now we're talking! This weapon can put a real dent in pretty much anything with more than 1 wound, though you may end up struggling to wound monsters. At a much more reasonable cost, you can also afford some defence in the case of an oldblood. Obviously can be taken on heroes too, but then you run in to lack of defences.
    Verdict - Personally I would only take on an oldblood, there are definitely some uses from this weapon, and can combo quite well with some of our spells.

Sacred Stegadon Helm of Itza - a very odd item, as it combines both an offensive and defensive element. If it definitely works when combed with The Piranha Blade, I can see that being a VERY nasty combo on an oldblood! Eitherway, this is a solid standalone item, though again struggles slightly with being relatively expensive.
    Verdict - As above for The Piranha Blade tbh! Slightly more options for being used at hero level I guess.

Skavenpelt Banner - Can only be taken by a BSB which immediately has a big effect on how useful it is. Probably a bit expensive for what it does too. Obviously risky downside to frenzy, but I don't think that would worry me too much.
    Verdict - worth looking at in a temple guard star. Otherwise avoid.

The Jaguar Standard - urgh, almost utterly useless. Not sure there's much to say on this one, I mean really, who wants swiftstride infantry anyway?
    Verdict - honestly can't see where you'd use this. Maybe if you knew you were going to have to race at a gunline?

Cube of Darkness - my second favourite in the lizard book! Ok, took a bit of a nerf from last book, but the ability to have (almost) 2 scrolls in an army is very powerful
    Verdict - not an auto-include (tbh i'd rather have the surety of the scroll), but a very strong option, especially now you're more likely to be taking skink priests in the first place!

Plaque of Dominion - back to being terrible here. Not helped by being fairly short ranged. I can see vague potential in crippling a combat caster for a turn, but seems rather difficult to execute.
    Verdict - there are way better things to be using arcane item slots for in this army. Possible use in big games?

The Cloak of Feathers - Not terrible per se, but does preclude taking an arcane item. Comboes really nicely with lord kroak. Can't see it ever being used other than that tbh....
    Verdict - For a chief, take a terradon. For a priest, take a scroll.

The Horn of Kygor - if the effect was permanent rather than one use, could see some value. As it is, massively overcosted for what it does.
    Verdict - honestly even in a cav-star, can't see me taking this.

The Egg of Quango - my favourite item in the book! Sadly only really works 50% of the time, but when it does, what an impact! Can totally reverse a combat phase (blew up a grave guard star thanks to this!). Also has use on a suicide skink chief. Probably in fact our only item which is multi-function... Coupled with a cost that allows other items to be used
    Verdict - personally can't see where I wouldn't take this. Versatile and powerful (well half the time)

And that's it! Honestly, looking at some of the other new books, I feel rather short changed by our magic item selection, but there it is. I can see most armies taking 1-3 of our items and sticking mostly to the rulebook.[/quote]

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Wazz likes this.
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Just a quick quesiton since I'm nowhere near my book. Does the cube of darkness dispel the first spell + potentially every other augments/hexes (by rolling 2+) or is it only hexes/augments and nothing else?

For instance in my last game I had a shield of thorns go off followed by dwellers bellow. I assume the cube can also dispel dwellers?

That was how we played it anyway. Unfortunately for me the dwellers still go through and I dispelled the augment -.-

4. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

Bit confused by the question.....

Cube is (as far as I remember anyway!), use instead of dispelling, auto-dispels that spell on a 2+. Then roll for each RiP spell (if there are any); on a 2+ it is dispelled too.

From what I read, what could happen:

Cast Shield of Thorns
    No dispel attempted
    Cast dwellers
    Cube activated
    2+ rolled, dwellers is dispelled
    2+ rolled, Shield of Thorns is dispelled

Though I then wonder how this interacts with you not being able to dispel RiP spells later in the same turn they were cast....

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

sometimes I ask questions written from my phone, without having read them through and made sure they're easy to understand lol.

My question was merely whether or not the cube was only allowed for hexes and augments or if it'll also dispel any other spells similar to the dispel scroll.

You pretty much answered the question though. :)