1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walmar's purple Lizards

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Walmar, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Walmar
    Jungle Swarm

Walmar New Member

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my lizards. I painted 20 Skinks with purple body and yellow scales. These look really good, but when I try to use that color scheme on the Saurus it looks really goofy. They have too many scales and become predominantly yellow.

Has anyone a good idea how to use the purple/yellow color scheme on Saurus?

WP_20151116_23_55_47_Pro.jpg

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

you could reverse it for yellow saurus with purple scales.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. Walmar
    Jungle Swarm

Walmar New Member

Here is another picture of a Cold One Rider (my Scar Vet). He just looks too spotty I think.

WP_20151117_00_29_41_Pro.jpg

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Do the ridge a purple to break it up a bit, you could also use a darker yellow on the outer scales and maybe highlight the purple more.

Bowser and Xlanax_lot like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I like that effect you've created. It really differentiates the scales. :)

Bowser likes this.
  6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

This was actually my first thought.
    Darker scales on the outer ones with more bright scales going down the spine.

Alternatively consider painting the scales down the spine in an orange color :)

Bowser likes this.
  7. TheDoctor
    Skink

TheDoctor Member

I really like these color!!! As Crowsfoot has already told you, you should highlight the purple.
    But in my opinion they are good as they are...
    Doctor

Bowser and tom ndege like this.
  8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I like what you did!;) no need to change in my opinion. But if you want to do it some different my suggestion is to change the color of the spikes on the back. Maybe to a different yellow or a totally different color like red. Last option will make your warriors a bit more colorful but for me (my lizards) that would be OK. I usually use three colors on my warriors.

9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I see what you mean, but I think ge looks awesome. The only difference I see is that the skink has a dark yellow/brown between scales, and the saurus has purple. Would lok less spotty if you had the same colouration between scales on the saurus as you do the skink. Or as @Crowsfoot said purple spikes might bring it out and break up the yellow. or maybe coat all the spikes in gold. The highlights on the yellow and different colouration on the scales was a nice touch! Some a bit darker with more orange in the center! It's a great detail that you've added. Really makes it pop out!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Another question... Did you paint some ordinary saurus? Might be they will look more like you want, cause more of the skin is visible. Had the same problem with my riders. When they are completely assembled you only see small parts of the skin and recognize only the scales...

11. Walmar
    Jungle Swarm

Walmar New Member

Thanks for your input.

Right now I'm at the point to paint the infantry saurus. I needed the one mounted one for my 500pts army.

I painted a few saurus using different colors/techniques for the scales but the pictures got lost and I removed the color afterward.

I think I'll go the route of toning down the scales father away from the back spine.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.