1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Wardrums and Stardrake Icons of Saurus Knights

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Arbaletos, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Arbaletos
    Jungle Swarm

Arbaletos Member

Hello everyone.
    I have a little question about rules for Saurus Knights.
    We can take Stardrake Icons and/or Wardums to any model in our unit, so does this equipement replace weapon and shield of a bearer?
    According to WYSIWYG, the model with Icon does not have also a spear in same hand, and also boy with drumbeaters does not have a shield and a spear.
    But in rules is not written, that this accessories can be taken only instead of weapon and/or shield.

"A unit of Saurus Knights has 5 or more
    models. Some units wield Celestite Blades,
    while others prefer Celestite Lances."

"Models in this unit may carry terrifying
    stardrake icons. If a battleshock test is
    made for an enemy unit within 5" of any
    stardrake icons, add 1 to the result."

"Models in this unit may carry wardrums.
    A unit that includes any wardrums can
    march in its movement phase. When it
    does so it doubles its Move characteristic,
    but cannot run or charge in the same turn."

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

It is in the FAQ that they have the same weapons as the rest of the unit, just with the bonus of drum and banner.

3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

4. Arbaletos
    Jungle Swarm

Arbaletos Member

It is written also, what "Models in this unit may carry". So i can have several standart bearers and drummers in one unit?

5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You could, but I don’t think the movement from the wardrums would stack. The icons would give a further threat range. Though if you do that the opponent may have better banners that could be used more effectively.

6. Arbaletos
    Jungle Swarm

Arbaletos Member

I just wanna buy 2 boxes of knights (16 models total, 15 for knights ant 16th for hero) and be able use them in one squade, or in 3 different squades (Basing on my roster) without changing of any equipment.

7. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

I consider it ok to have 1 of each (Wardrum, Banner, whatever else a unit gets) per minimum amount of that unit. For Knights that's 1 of each for every 5 Knights, now of course there are also no benefits to fielding units bigger than 5 Knights and benefits for fielding multiple units (Firelance Starhost), while for things like Saurus Warriors with their 20+ and 30+ benefits they might end up with 2, 3 or 4 of each with their minimum unit size of 10, but that to me is ok. It's realistic and key to note is that while the Wardrum effect isn't going to stack, I would consider that the Banner effect doesn't stack either but may now hit more models with the 5" range and that's ok.

Arbaletos and Bowser like this.
  8. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Should add in specific reply to this and in addition to my last post there is no benefit to running Knight's in units bigger than the minimum of five as they are led by an Alpha who gets an additional attack. If you ran them as one unit you might have the models as Alphas but only one will be. The same is true of Saurus Warriors however the benefits of the larger unit outweigh the additional Alpha benefits.

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

yeah, benefits for "small units, more leaders", and "big units, few leaders", may vary a lot.
    For some units, as saurus warriors, the number is more important, for some other ones the choice is tricky... for example, Freeguild Handgunners.
    units of 20 models gain +1 to hit (and for shooting units that can also stand and shoot if charged, that's a big bonus), however the marksman can carry a repeater (d3 shots), or the hochland rifle (30" range, rend -1, 2 dam).
    A unit of 30 handgunners is a terrifying target, one of the last one you'd want to charge... but three units of 10 means 3 long-range snipers.

benclark likes this.
  10. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Oh for sure, everything is situational too, although with Knights which was the focus here I can't see a reason to ever have a unit of more than five with the possible exception of you're fighting a huge battle and your Firelance Starhost consists of 3 units of 20 Knights each, 1700 points of Dinosaur awesomeness would be good to see lol.

Saurus Warriors too I would never take as multiple units, getting that 30+ models to give them all 2 attacks and +1 to hit is sweet. Side note if a unit falls below the numbers required for those abilities I assume they lose the ability or is it only based upon starting numbers?

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Even than, I'd never take more than 10. You rely on charge to be effective, terrains and choke points limit you move (especially things as Sylvaneth Wyldwood), and even with 10 knights you risk to don't attack with some of them.

Yes, they lose the ability. Bonuses are tied to the number of models in that specific moment.

benclark likes this.
  12. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Oh I'd take my 15 with Scar-Veteran and enjoy the Firelance Starhost. But yeah I get your points, right now in my local meta no-one is playing Sylvaneth so they at least won't be an issue lol.

That's what I figured with on the bonuses too, never a reason to take more than 30 Warriors otherwise.

13. Arbaletos
    Jungle Swarm

Arbaletos Member

For example, i planned to use 15-models unit of Knights in Gul-Rok's Starhost from StarCol.
    But i do not know this formation's pointcost anyway.

14. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

The Gul-Rok Starhost is meant as an introductory Warscroll designed to be used with the Start Collecting! Box contents only, ie 12 Warriors, 8 Knights and a Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur. Nothing else, it's why it doesn't have a points cost. You could do what you want in a casual game between friends if that's what you agree but not in tournament play.