1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washes?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by langaandy, Apr 29, 2011.

1. langaandy
    Skink

langaandy New Member

Hi all,

I started painting warhammer when i was about 14 and am now 20 but i havnt painted them in about 4 years.

My Saurus are blue based with lighter hhighlights and liche purple scales with lightened higlights. I started my skinks blue but ame now thinking gray bases with orange scales.

My main question is after not painting for a while. What is the difference between a wash and ink?

and 2. I see a lot of people apply a wash to the entire thing but i was taught by my GW manager/painter extraordinaire and painting mentor that inks should only be in small areas like leathermaking or highlights.

Any help and colour criticism/helpful ideas would be great

2. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Well good to see your back. I know that I've been down the wrong road but always come back to GW and painting.

What I've found is Washes are a more even placement. These can be applied to the entire model or to a more specific piece. I've seen some really great work with washes on skin and then a highlight to finish off the effect.

Inks are a bit more touchy. Your painting guru is right, don't use it to dip the entire model. The ink is meant to RUN into the creases. I'm a fan of these but not for much else than holding up my other paints. The ink just isn't standard enough in pigment placement across the area I want.

All in all it's your style. You do with it what you want. If you find that you love washes or inks it's your style. I use a was just for expediency. I look forward to seeing a few test models of what you were talking about on new painting styles.

3. langaandy
    Skink

langaandy New Member

Thanks thats good to here.

Its too bad they dont do inks any more though because ive painted a few leather clad goblins that look unreal.

Ill post pics later