1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What colour do you paint the edge of your bases?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by GuaDan, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Which colour do you paint the edge of your bases?

1. Black

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Mournfang Brown

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Rhinox Hide

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Steel Legion Drab

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. BRIGHT OL' GREEN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dryad Bark

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Other (specify in comments)

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

As per title, I would like to know which colour do Lizardmen like to stand on.

I have quite a bright army, standing on bases which can be elaborate for specific units, with rocks, earth, grass and swamps.

I see lot of people painting the bases with steel legion drab, but it is too colose in value to the painted minis. Mournfang Brown seems ok (that is what I'm using now), still a bit too bright. I also tried Rhinox Hude, which looks nautral and elegant bot does not 'frame' the base (too similar to the paitned ground.

Let me know that you scaly experienced painters use!

Warden and LizardWizard like this.
  2. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

I tend to use whatever colour closest fits the main colour of the base’s top - my beach themed army tends to means that’s Zandri Dust for the sand and Sotek Green for the sea. However, I know practically nothing about colour theory or advanced painting, so don’t just take my word for it!

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I use the same colour that I use my basecoat for my bases/sand. So it varies according to which army I am making my bases for.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I use a light brown for my lizardmen, which is the base brown for my earth and grass bases.

For the winter bases of my undead army I use a light grey.

GuaDan, Warden and LizardWizard like this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Lately, XV-88. It changes depending on what the bases look like. Normally I go a few shades lighter or a couple tints down from whatever the dominate color on the base is.

GuaDan and Warden like this.
  6. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I tend to black but I varry the painting of edges according to the kind of unit I paint...
    So the front edge is usually of a color that determines what kind of unit it is... like e.g. red for infantry or purple for cavalry... as I'm quite colorful ontop of the base with different colorschemes for units even of the same kind this helps to determine the type of troop a unit has... sides of the base are plain black for normal troops and more enhanced for things like champions and heroes... champions' bases fade from the front color to black and have a black back edge... for heroes I use white instead of black...

GuaDan, Warden and LizardWizard like this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Avocado (green) from the Americana paint line (normally right next to Apple Barrel paints in craft stores/Walmart). Originally I was using BRIGHT 'OL GREEN (Goblin Green, now Warboss Green I think) but switched to this color because 1) its cheaper and 2) it evokes the "jungle" theme I was going for. :artist: Before that, none of my bases were actually done... :lurking:

avocado-decoart-acrylic-paint-dao52-3-64_1000.jpg

8. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

I use Dryad Bark. Mostly because I want it to indicate a dark soil and it also makes whatever basing material I use for the top to pop much, much more. I prefer this over black because otherwise, it'd just look like I didn't do anything to my bases. The only other colors I use would be a Tallarn Sand for my Tomb Kings and Skavenblight Dinge for my Ice Ogres.

LizardWizard likes this.
  9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Same - I just went with Rhinox Hide/Scorched Brown because that's the colour I use for my Lizardmen bases (reflects the damper jungle soil better than Steel Legion Drab/Graveyard Earth).

GuaDan and LizardWizard like this.
  10. Acrocanth
    Razordon

Acrocanth Well-Known Member

Yeah I use a dark green textured top with rhinox for the edge to get a nice off black/rich earthy look.

LizardWizard and GuaDan like this.
  11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I prefer jet black.

LizardWizard likes this.