1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best slogan or tag line in all of Warhammer, 40k or AoS?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Have two thumbs up from Gotrek himself for quoting Rome 1 Total War:
    [​IMG]

My favourite quote from Rome 1 is this Celtic one, also from the battle opening sequence:
    "That smell is the enemy! That's what fear does to weaklings! Shall we see what our swords can do to their skulls?"

And if your general disgraces his tribe by fleeing:
    "Your general's bowels have turned to water, and he flees from the fight. Why should your warriors fight for an old woman like him?"

As for Warhammer quotes, here are some of my favourites:
    "An alien threat has risen from beyond the abyss, a swarm so vast that it blots out the stars. This horror fights neither for power nor territory, but rather to feed a hunger so insatiable that it will eventually devour the entire galaxy." - Inquisitor Kryptman on the Tyranids

"Their number is legion, their name is death" - Eldrad Ulthran on the Necrons

"We sons of Grungni may have drunk deep from the bitter waters of misfortune, but we yet survive. Whilst a single Dwarf draws breath, we will fight the evils that assail us, and we will never, ever give up." Hengist Stonebelly, Dwarf Longbeard from Karak Eight Peaks

"Manling coins are like their words: never trust them. Use your weighing scales and keep your axe handy!" Dwarf saying

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Captaniser, Lizerd and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Rome 1 had some brilliant speeches in general. Was one of the best parts of that game.

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Agreed, they shortened the speeches in Medieval 2 and having also played Napoleon it looks as though they got rid of speeches completely in the later games. Are there any pre-battle speeches in the Warhammer games?

Also, which was your favourite faction, out of interest? You can probably guess which one’s my favourite...

Lizerd likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I think warhammer are the only ones nearly completly without they only have speeches in quest battles.
    Rome II still has em, though they were no longer pre-battle. They were just at the start of the battle and if you'd move your general he'd shut up.
    Shogun II I think is the last one that had proper pre-battle speeches with a cinematic little opening and stuff.

And my favorite Rome I faction was the selucid, they had basicly all the units in the game, from legionaires to elephants to cataphracts to siege equipment to pikes.

5. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

nah man best faction was house of scipii if you were willing to put in the effort. You could take parts of Greece, Anatolia, and Carthage. Plus some of the best temples. As for battles any of the Roman factions did best. They may not have had the diversity of the Seleucids but man did those urban cohorts hit like trucks. Great game all in all

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

"What is your Duty? To serve Emperor's Will. What is Emperor's Will? That we fight and die. What is Death? It is our duty. What is your Duty? ..."

Alternatively, "There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time." (Lord Inquisitor Karamazov)

“We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy — the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial — carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won." ~Justicar Alaric

Warden, Lizerd and Canas like this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Well yeah, the late game had utterly terrible balance. Urban or Preatorian cohorts where hilariously overpowered. Selucid & Carthage where the only ones who could even remotely put up a fight against em if I remember correctly.

Plus, I had some of my best battles with the selucid. Defeating 5 units of hoplites with only 2 units of citizen cavalry, fighting 5 battles in a row till all that remained of an army was a single camel archer who terrified his opponents & killed with every shot & giving a roman exile shelter only to use him to conquer the alpes and eventually rome :p

O I like that one :p

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

The thing is with the Romans, though, CA added loads of extra non-historically-accurate units to make sure they would win and carve out an Empire - Praetorians existed, sure, but I had never heard of Urbans until playing Rome Total War. I'm pretty sure they were just put in to be a super-powered Praetorian unit to make the faction broken in AI battles. I'm pretty sure that any Phalanx unit can beat them though, because phalanxes are even more overpowered in Rome 1.

You chaps like your phalanxes, but I prefer good old Celtic British swordsmanship (and severed heads coated in acid - Head Hurlers are the one way Britons can beat phalanxes, if you charge Swordsmen or Chosen Swordsmen in, even into the front, and throw the heads into the phalanx while it is preoccupied fighting the charging troops, the phalanx quite often panics and runs because the heads inflict a morale debuff as well as inflicting quite a lot of casualties, and once the phalanx runs, you can then chase after them and kill as many as possible to stop them regrouping).

Captaniser and Lizerd like this.
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Most factions had some imaginary troops, half of egypt was imaginary if I remember correctly.

Also, put phalanxes directly after a gate, stab the soldiers coming in with the ram :p Quite hilarious. They were utterly terrible on walls though. Rome II fortunatly does do that better.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

And @Canas blames me for derailing topics! :rolleyes:

@Lizerd might like this...
    upload_2019-10-21_13-21-1.jpeg

Killer Angel and Lizerd like this.
  11. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Course I do, I never start it. I just continue :p

12. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Aginor, NIGHTBRINGER and Lizerd like this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Me too. :)

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Imrahil likes this.
  16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Egypt wasn’t imaginary, just 1000 years too early :p

And as for Phalanxes being terrible on walls, that was to compensate for their brokenness on the ground.

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Wasn't it a mismatch of everything imaginary & virtually every egyptian dynasty ever. Remember it being one of the worst one in terms of historical accuracy.

Yeah, but they weren't just terrible on the walls. They were borderline useless. And since most factions didn't really get regular troops they became a pain to use as you had nothing but phalanxes if you played for example the greeks.