1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should be the next painting challenge about?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Sep 2, 2011.

?

What should be the next painting challenge about?

1. 1) Single miniature

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
  2. 2) Monstrous Infantry

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 3) Monstrous Cavalry

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. 4) Monsters and War Beasts

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. 5) Other suggestion (write a reply!)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I think the thread title is pretty self explanatory.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Can I vote for the same thing twice? :p

Should be good, I'm looking forward to it!

3. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Also, if anyone has the skill to make some special icon we could add to the winner's signature, please PM me, I'd like to have some sort of medal/distinctive sign for winners.

4. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Ok - I chose single model and write-in.... I suggest possibly doing a single model WITH themed terrain. The terrain wouldn't have to be scratch-built, but should convey some type of theme or message.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I can make you a medal,
    how big do you want it ?
    :pigeon:

6. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Why not "all of the above"?

They all seem to revolve around the same thing, big montrous creatures, so why not just let people pick what they want, a single monster, a unit of monstrous infantry/cavalry/war beasts. Even tanks and stuff.

7. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Problem is that I'm working on Dwarfs next and none of the above applies to that army... excepting the single miniature. That's why I chose "other", hoping for maybe a war machine and crew...? let me know, thanks.

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Lustria-Medal.jpg

Hows that?

Maybe a bit smaller or do you want more of an Icon instead of text?

9. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

That looks really cool n810, if we could add the month and year the contest took place, it would be even better. And like you said, make it a tad bit smaller.

I'm worried about not having any sort of category for the challenge even though it looks like a good idea on paper. It's hard to compare a lone character to a big monster. Then again, I'm open to suggestions and if the participants of this challenge want an open category, I'm all for it :D.

As for the terrain making contest, it should definitely be an option for the next challenge!

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah I'm not a fan of open category. Then what do we do in the next one? I guess it is impossible to find a category that will suit everyone, but I think it is worth having a set type of goal in mind for a challenge.

But again, if the majority want it I'll go with it.

Dwarfs could fit the single model category easy, they have some very nice models. You are right about the monster though, about all they could do is a gyrocopter maybe. Or an anvil should be suitable?

11. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Yeah, when I said "all of the above" I didn't really think about the single infantry sized model, I was more thinking of any variety of single monster or monstrous unit. So basically any large model or unit of large models (and like the previous contest, it has to be a legal unit in the game, so no painting a single large creature that normally come in units of 3+).

Anyway, that's what I would like ;)

12. strewart
    OldBlood

Ah that makes more sense. I'd agree with that option.

Single Miniature is easily winning... Question for SeBM, that obviously means characters what about mounted characters? Say a skink priest on EotG? Does that count or too big?

13. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Well mounted I'm sure we could agree that models mounted on horses/cold one are fine for sure. As for the bigger monsters, I guess it really depends on everyone else's opinion. A skink priest on foot will have a hard time competing against a mage on a dragon for instance.

Maybe restrict the base size for mounted characters?

It will be hard to find a category were everyone is 100% happy but I think we should aim for what the vast majority of people are wanting to try.

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Alright, watch out for a stegadon on a 20mm base. :D

Nah thats cool, perfectly understandable. I was just seeing what options I might have, as I mentioned in the other thread I have a nice BSB model on foot who would love a bit of paint so I'm happy to do him instead and the EotG some other time.

15. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

At the moment, it looks like single-model is winning. Would there be objections if the single model was with themed- terrain? Or would that be too distracting from voters if others didn't do that? Maybe if it was a unit filler size or appropriate for a single Lord character?

16. strewart
    OldBlood

I'd say you could take the photo however you want, but it would be unfair to expect everyone to do the same since a lot of people don't have decent painted up terrain.

17. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

I understand what you are saying, but was thinking that if the terrain was made while the mini was being painted then it might be alright.. other than it would be hard to prove that it wasn't already made. Meh.. Im still for the single mini though.

18. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

What about all those half finished projects we have tucked away photo now and photo at end of contest and a discription of how long on the shelf and reason.
    Stu

19. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

If its single miniature personally I wouldn't want to do big bases or fancy terrain mostly because they wouldn't have a place in any of my armies. Though that said I might just sit out single miniature as I can't think of any models I can be bothered converting and it seems too boring to submit an unconverted model. I was hoping for monster because I want to paint up a Wyvern for my Orcs, but oh well :p

20. 1968yearofmetall
    Cold One

1968yearofmetall New Member

perhaps we could do a single miniature contest in wich all the models have to be playable?? (no large bases, only the origianal base for each model)