1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to use as subs for models?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by lizard_sNow, Feb 5, 2014.

1. lizard_sNow
    Cold One

lizard_sNow Member

Hi, I am really excited for these wonderful new beasties we have access to and want to use them but I have a budget that wont allow the purchase of these new models :depressed: (though to be honest they would already be in my collection if allowed. Soooo good looking!). Therefore I am wondering if there are models that you, as a community, have found that work well at substitutions and are also rather cheap? The models I am really wanting to sub are for the basti (just a great addition to the army. Period.) and for the trog, kroxigors, and terradons/rippers. Thanks for your replies in advance! :D

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Check out some Vinal Dinosaurs in the toy isle for dino substutes...
    and just buy the appropate bases online.

For Kroxigor ... Reaper Mini has a few different substitus in their warlords line.
    also Wargods of Egyptus has a line of croc men.

Terradons are a bit trickier.....
    I havent found a decent substitue for them yet...
    reaper might have some counts as flying things though...
    but no flying dinosaurs.

3. lizard_sNow
    Cold One

lizard_sNow Member

Do you have a good place to get the bases? I was also wondering if the monsters are all on the 50x100mm base or if the trog was different?

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Most monsters are 50x100 (trog/carnie) or 50x50 (Slann).

I suggest eBay or some online hobby store.

5. lizard_sNow
    Cold One

lizard_sNow Member

thanks n810. Hopefully I'll have some fun conversions to post :)

6. The Lord of Excess
    Skink

The Lord of Excess New Member

Privateer Press has some croc men that aren't half bad.

As for dino subs ... check out Acheson Creations ... they make minis for gaming. Sold cast resin stuff that's pretty nice.
    http://achesoncreations.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=68

Some of the best dino subs come from schlage and Papo (just do an amazon search under schlage or papo dinosaurs and you'll see what I mean).

Also Tamiya makes some decent dino models too and some of them tend to be a fair bit cheaper than GWs stuff, while others are larger scale and more expensive.

Tons and tons of sub/proxy options for the big guys. Just look around here and you'll see people who have them in their armies.

I'm working on an army right now and planning on using something from all of the mentioned sites.

7. The Lord of Excess
    Skink

Also I forgot another company that makes decent plastic dinos is CollectA ...

8. lizard_sNow
    Cold One

lizard_sNow Member

Those are perfect lordofexcess. They even have pteradons. thank you

9. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Failing that, check ebay, I saw a carnasaur for £25 plus 3.50 shipping go last week?

10. The Lord of Excess
    Skink

Totally agree with Axolotyl about finding cheap stuff on ebay. I think that is good advice on anything GW related. Paying full retail for it is really silly. Unless you have a fair amount of disposable income and a really amazing local hobby shop that you game at frequently, then by all means.

As for substitute models as I said in the other post I have been doing that as well. The trouble is you won't find many of the newer 8th ed era models really cheap (unless you get super lucky). Salamanders don't usually go below 20 per model, the new big stuff rarely goes below 45. The fliers ... if you get the old metal ones you can sometimes get them as low as 10+shipping. Krox go for around 10 if you can get lucky. I actually picked up a metal carny for $25 (with 5 shipping) but some people might not like that model as the new one is much larger I think. You can get old style Saurus and skinks with bows super dirty cheap, etc. and some character models can be had for cheaper prices if you get lucky.

If you want bigger dinos though to approximate the new stuff I'd go with plastic dinos, and then bitz order some of the accessory parts (which you can usually do for less than 10 bucks). You end up spending say 25 or so per big model vs. 60 ... so its not a massive savings overall (save yourself like 75 bucks) but if you really want to try to do the project as cheap as you can its a good way to go. Like I said for me, I'm never going to do tournaments with my army so paying extra for the GW stuff isn't really that important for me, that said I do want models that look good and are generally WYSIWYG.

Post some pics of your stuff when you get it ... I plan to as well once its assmbled and primed and then when I'm done painting it!

Anyway good luck man!