1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Where to measure? position of weapons...

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by tom ndege, Dec 1, 2015.

1. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

So. Had some thoughts on the position of the weapons in aos. Especially my saurus with spears... I made them in a way that the first rank is holding their spears pointing to the front for design reasons...
    So now if I play aos and I'm supposed to measure from the model this position of the spear increases my range compared with measuring from the base a lot. And the warriors standing behind them sometimes can still strike with out being in range of the enemy or are more than 3" away from the enemy if their fellas die, and can so move away from the enemy...

So my question is: Where do you measure from the model? And did you face similar 'problems'?

2. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Well, you measure from the model, says so specifically, and yes, you can do all sorts of crazy powergaming shit with that. If you make a model balancing on a stick like 10 inches of the ground, your Slann for example, your opponent can not hit him in CC,, as was demonstrated in a hilarious image somewhere else on the forum that i cannot find. When you want to play competitively, do not play with the AoS base rules, as it is full of rules like this that can be exploited. I can just recommend you to take it casually and fair, and just sortoff measure in a way that seems reasonable to you and your opponent.

3. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

If I would go with measuring from the model I like to atleast take the True Line of Sight rulings from 8th in to consideration. So only measuring (seeing) from bodyparts (torso, arms/legs) and no additions like weapons, tails, banners and the like.
    But I'm more of measuring from base (if my opponent is also going with the standard solotion of bases and not with their own sizes) radius, if elevation is taking into account then form a imaginary "cilinder" till head height. Everything from the edge of that cilinder is good.

4. Choombatta
    Skink

Choombatta New Member

Just remember, you cannot gain any advantage from measuring from the spear tips, as your opponent just has to reach those same spear tips to be able to hit back.
    So, that spear tip is 3" away from a different unit, you have now given them a chance to pile in and attack, etc.

5. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Yes.. For the first row of my troops... But the guy standing right behind them with the spear lifted up is always out of the 3" so if I want to withdraw from the battle I just remove the first row if killed and the other can move freely...

6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

But you could do the same when measuring from bases. Just remove the front rows until you are more than 3" away, if you're bringing a block formation! If your opponent piles in correctly this is a non issue.

7. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

So to avoid such problems I will find an agreement with my opponent to measure from certain points of the models like the tip of the nose or the chest... Best way I think is to keep measuring from the base...
    And if someone wants to use the most outstanding part of the models it should be ok for me, too... ;)

Bowser likes this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Most people still use the base as measuring point, but if they want to use the tip of the weapon that tip has to stop outside the 3" mark anyway! As long as it's fair and fun it doesn't matter!

tom ndege likes this.