1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Army case do you use?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Moc-Tzen, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Moc-Tzen
    Saurus

Moc-Tzen Active Member

Hey, so I have been thinking on getting a Fitzgerald battlefoam to transport my lizardmen "and space marines" but I am also thinking on the new Citadel Ard Case.
    Both are very attractive and I was inclining for the Ard case which looks like it could take care of my Slaan palanquin pretty well as opposed as putting it in a pluck foam.

The Fitsgerald it's meant to put HUGE stuff and loads of vehicles on it and for people that travel a lot to tournaments and such. I am not traveling a lot but I figured I could use it to store my minis there.

What do you think? Which cases do you use personally?

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I have a old GW case but as I don't really take my models out of the house it is unused.

I have all my models in plastic drawers so when we play we just carry the drawer around.

Warden likes this.
  3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I use a Stanley toolbox for small parts.

Warden likes this.
  4. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

Personally I've been looking at KR multicases. They have some prefabs on how to fill their cases with specific lizardmen loadouts as well.

Obviously there are a bunch of other options as well. A more interesting idea that I've seen involves magnetized bases. If you have a case that is made out of metal, you can stick them right to the interior! Could also expand this with dividers that have magnet strips on them as well.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I don't typically travel very much with my models. When I do, I use an old GW case. When I'm just storing my models or moving them over short distances I use a metal toolbox. I've magnetized my models so it is very quick and convenient.

100_2985.JPG 100_2986.JPG 100_2988.JPG

6. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Looks really like an effective way to carry an army around. ;)
    I myself use old shoeboxes and old newspapers... Looking forward to find something more appropriate in this thread... ;)

NIGHTBRINGER and Warden like this.
  7. Moc-Tzen
    Saurus

Moc-Tzen Active Member

Do you think that the super big Battlefoam cases are not good idea?

8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

How much are those? You could probably get some nice cheap foam from a hobby store and just cut it to your hearts content.

I personally use some tool boxes I got at a hardware store. They came with little compartments inside; some of the metal models I buffer with some extra pieces of foam I had lying around. I have three of these things; one for Lizards, one for Bretonnians, and another for 40K. It was definitely an upgrade from my old shoeboxes...

IMG_9482.JPG

IMG_9485.JPG

IMG_9487.JPG

Bracnos and tom ndege like this.
  9. Moc-Tzen
    Saurus

Moc-Tzen Active Member

Well I was thinking on getting the "Ard Case" for my metal units such as the Slaan" and I purchased a battle foam for $150 on black friday but they havent dispatched it yet so I can still get a refund and try something else.
    The foam that comes in the battle foam one is pluck foam so you can outfit it on the shape that you want for your miniature of choice.
    Problem is I picked a monster case intended to be sent on the check in and out of airport and It dont matter how foamy it is, there is absolutely no way that I will send my Slaan,Metal stegadon and company on it.
    I guess the only option for me would be to get 2 cases?

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It is.... I can set up my entire army from box to table in under two minutes. :)

tom ndege likes this.
  11. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Battle foam is fantastic for local carrying. I wouldn't send it through check in security though. That's a good way to have everything broken. (I have a pack 720 - love it, just don't like paying for new foam :p )

The only downside to battle foam is the expense and the fact that unless you pluck for movement trays (i.e. Pluck for individual models), it takes an age and a half to pull everything out, stick it on a tray, and get to playing. In this regard alone, the nice cases that (company name eludes me atm) have metal trays and allow you to move your whole army on trays without them moving a millimeter are really nice. They are expensive as well though.

Lately I've been using just a plastic tub with some bits of foam tucked between large models to keep them from bumping, but it's not very efficient and I've been looking for something to replace it.

Moc-Tzen likes this.
  12. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

I fist was also inclined towards the battle foam cases, how ever after researching a lot I heard some bad comments on how the foam is too dense and that specially for fantasy models with thin parts is a problem as it ends up braking them.

From another perspective i have heard great things about the GW ones and they seem capable of holding a lot of miniatures.

My solution however was to make my own carry case, and to be honest I believe that to have been the best decision I have made so far, it was a little bit more work but I ended up with a case that fits every model in my collection perfectly, the foam is just the right density, its carry on size and the best part is that I still have a lot of space if I decide to expand my army and I only payed 1/4 of the cost of buying any of the two that I mentioned before.

You can check out some of the pictures here

tom ndege and Rokanos like this.
  13. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

@Xlanax_lot Mind giving us a run down of where you went to get the materials, type of foam, how you went about it?

That case of yours looks like something I might be able to do (I don't trust myself much with power tools lol).

Moc-Tzen likes this.
  14. Moc-Tzen
    Saurus

Moc-Tzen Active Member

15. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Yeah that doesn't seem like a lot of case for $150. The pack 720 gets you almost twice as much in just height alone. If you are just doing local, I'd order the 720 instead.

16. Moc-Tzen
    Saurus

Moc-Tzen Active Member

I liked the fitzgerald because it seems like it would surely protect everything if I ever travel through plane and stuff. And besides it looks like it could be used as a seat and stuff lol.

But if 720 is the one that you recommend then I shall take a look at it.

17. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

For travel it looks like it would definitely hold up during flight, the 720 probably wouldn't. If you plan on doing more local gaming than traveling I'd say get the 720 and then maybe later grab a small hard case for your extra fragile stuff.

18. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I use the Citadel Crusade Case with the wavy foam for my Chaos Space Marines. It can fit a HUGE number of infantry in it, but you have to be creative with positioning. My only criticism is that it is really space inefficient when transporting larger models like tanks, monstrous creatures and walkers, and that it can be pretty fiddly so it's not ideal if you need to deploy things quickly.

A friend of mine uses KR Multicase foam in a huge metal chest (he has a lot of Imperial Guard). The shapes cut to fit specific models are a godsend for some models and they do a really good job at getting the sizes for tanks right. He doesn't have any of the KR cases though, just the foam, so I couldn't comment on those.

Moc-Tzen likes this.
  19. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Did a lot of searching today and ended up ordering some foam from home depot, along with some 5mm foam for the bottom of the trays i'm going to make from hobby lobby. All in all cost me about $50 for what's going to end up being enough foam to make trays for 6k-8k pts worth of models between two armies. Just going to take a little bit of cutting and gluing, but waaaaaay cheaper.

Home depot also has some plastic totes that can be used for a carrying case (local only obviously) for like $10 a piece.

Edit: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Future-Foam-3-in-Thick-Multipurpose-Foam-10030BULK3/203837114 - this is one of the sheets of foam I bought.

Hobby lobby liner 5mm pieces - http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...-Foam/White-5mm-Thick-EVA-Foam-Sheet/p/111099

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    tom ndege likes this.
  20. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

This is the way to go. I own a citadel skimrish case and I like it it is just over priced so by a regular sturdy box and make your own foam tray.

Rokanos likes this.