1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which vallejo paints to get

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Arraine, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Arraine
    Skink

Arraine New Member

I am ordering some vallejo paints and as I've never used them before I'd like some advice.

I need:
    - a good gold for lizardmen weapons/ armor

- some sort of very light grey/blue that will highlight Ice Blue (Citadel)

- a set of greys I can use for a grey/ashen sort of skink/saurus squad.

- a bright yellow that will stand out - can't decide between Moon Yellow and Sun yellow.

- Is there a nice ink to use to get a better gold effect? (I am having trouble making my gold look good at the moment)

- a leathery colour for painting saddles / straps and the like.

2. SleepyPillow
    Jungle Swarm

SleepyPillow New Member

One of the best metallic colors you can get right now are vallejos liquid gold range. Brilliant colors, but not that easy to use tho. Keep them away from anything less than 96% alcohol to thin them.
    http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/liquid-gold/family/11

I used vallejos game color range but disliked them. Most of the colors are way to thin, especially the green & yellow ones. It was really hard for me to achieve the perfect, milky consistence with this range.

Nowadays I use Vallejos modol color range and the colors are way better manufactured in my honest opinion.

3. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

I don't use Vallejo, i tend to use citadel..... No im not advertising lol!

I find dwarf bronze with a touch of shining gold works well

Citadel do a skink blue drybrush which works wonders

Go astronomicon grey base, dawn stone mid, celestna grey highlight, if its too light wash with agrax earth shade and re highlight in celestna

Go golden yellow with a touch of sunburst yellow, for best results use jakero orange as a base coat

To take the shine off your gold use imperial primer, for a richer gold use gryphone sepia

For a light leather Deneb earth with zandri dust, for a darker scorched brown with Deneb earth

I know its not what you asked initially, but it sounds like your going along a similar colour palette as myself, check out my thread to see how it looks on mine? http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/my-cak-handed-attempt-at-lizardmen.12963/

4. Arraine
    Skink

Arraine New Member

Thanks, that helps :)

Nicely painted army you have, especially like the yellow markings!